Sign in to follow this  
Malc Edge

One shot axle nut

I want to do my own service on my Bailey Indiana. My only concern is the removal and replacement of the axle nut. I know they are a very high torque. Just how difficult is it to remove and replace the one shot nut ? I know I will need to get a replacement nut as I know you should not use the old nut.  I am prepared to buy a suitably high enough torque wrench. thanks malc

You will need a very large socket, a decent length (and strength) T bar (a 1/2” drive is not up to the job, you will need a 3/4” drive and socket, not cheap!)  and a high capacity 3/4” drive torque wrench with which to tightened it up. 

Might actually be cheaper to get a dealer to JUST check the brakes as they will have the right kit?

Andy

• I agree completely 1

A 3 ft length of scaffold tube and a spring balance will achieve the correct torque but you will need the correct socket & T bar or a spanner that will fit inside the scaffold tube.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

You will need a very large socket, a decent length (and strength) T bar (a 1/2” drive is not up to the job, you will need a 3/4” drive and socket, not cheap!)  and a high capacity 3/4” drive torque wrench with which to tightened it up. 

Might actually be cheaper to get a dealer to JUST check the brakes as they will have the right kit?

Andy

Interesting Andy,  I do know of a good mobile service man. It 's just that I think that as that is the only thing I have a concern about is the nut.  I wonder if a mobile service man would do me just a chassis service only ? 

5 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Yes!   All of that.   Which part of the Country are you in Malc.   I have the very kit in the garage.

P1010873.JPG.63270fc061dc8115c6631ca20b8da347.JPG

• I agree completely 1

1 hour ago, Jaydug said:

Yes!   All of that.   Which part of the Country are you in Malc.   I have the very kit in the garage.

P1010873.JPG.63270fc061dc8115c6631ca20b8da347.JPG

Glos Jaydug Thanks for your offer

That’s some SERIOUS beast of a torque wrench! 

Andy

Posted (edited)

If your "credit" with a local 4 x 4 independent is good you might well borrow their 3/4" torque wrench and socket at close of play and return it as they open in the morning, for that final pulling up.

Many other businesses, commercial vans and agricultural repairers being other sources, the one your credit is strong enough with. Its a few seconds job each side.

Edited by JTQ
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

That’s some SERIOUS beast of a torque wrench!

Yes!   It is a big'un compared with it's little brothers.

930010956_Torquewrenches.JPG.5d73e7fd1edf3f6f1b09ff0465f11b52.JPG

1 hour ago, JTQ said:

If your "credit" with a local 4 x 4 independent is good you might well borrow their 3/4" torque wrench and socket at close of play and return it as they open in the morning, for that final pulling up.

Many other businesses, commercial vans and agricultural repairers being other sources, the one your credit is strong enough with. Its a few seconds job each side.

Now that is a good idea..think I try that

11 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

I use a Britool 1/2" drive torque wrench, that will tighten to the required torque.

7 hours ago, Malc Edge said:

I wonder if a mobile service man would do me just a chassis service only ? 

Yes , any of the AWS mobile engineers will do a chassis service.

12 hours ago, Brecon said:

Yes , any of the AWS mobile engineers will do a chassis service.

Great to know thanks