Awning pegs

winithewitch

Hi when my son came to put my porch awning up he bought a pack of four extra long screwdrivers from scewfix I think they cost under £10 he put one in each of  the four corners they go through the holes in the legs ok I have been in some bad winds since and the awning  has been fine  he just put a bit of wood over the plastic handle while he knocked them in  plus my own short pegs  kath

• Like 1

That is a new use for screwdrivers for me, but if it works then why not, good to hear of ideas that involve lateral thinking :)

Look out as shortly Aldi will have their caravan offers, every year they have Screw in Rock Pegs you get I think 20 for under a tenner, just use your 12 volt drill  it includes  the adaptor that fits in the drill's chuck

Les

Ive only ever tried screw in rock pegs twice.

Both times the ground was that hard they wouldn't screw in so had to resort to the good old lump hammer with standard rock pegs.

Never bothered since. 

• I agree completely 1

6 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

Ive only ever tried screw in rock pegs twice.

Both times the ground was that hard they wouldn't screw in so had to resort to the good old lump hammer with standard rock pegs.

Never bothered since. 

Same, so banged them in with a mallet. Upside was the screw function made it easy to get them out again.

5 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Same, so banged them in with a mallet. Upside was the screw function made it easy to get them out again.

Same here, bash them in and unscrew to recover them - never really had much success trying to screw them in but they do come out nice an easy with a drill. I use them all the time

Edited by matelodave

54 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

Obviously it depends on the type of ground.   I've been using them for two years now on the sandy earth found on my Spanish pitch.   My screws are nothing special;  just ordinary 200mm coach screws with a hex-head and a large washer beneath.   They drive in easily and surprisingly, in spite of the sandy structure of the earth, they grip well.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Am I the only one who read that the OP said her Son "bought a pack of four extra long screwdrivers from scewfix".

Screwfix do not sell awning pegs as far as I know.

winithewitch, can you clarify?

• I do not understand 1

3 minutes ago, Sea&Sand said:

You're right.   But they do sell coach screws which is what some of us use.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

And they also sell screwdrivers which the OP wrote about.  Seems a good idea to me if they needed four long spikes.

9 minutes ago, Sea&Sand said:

Am I the only one who read that the OP said her Son "bought a pack of four extra long screwdrivers from scewfix".

winithewitch, can you clarify?

They don't, but they do sell extra long screwdrivers

• I agree completely 1

Actually makes a bit of sense as the screwdrivers will have a decent handle to get hold of and give a good wiggle to get out of the ground.

Thought the OP message was quite clear saying screw drivers.... not awning pegs or  coach bolts

• Like 1

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Hi yes they are extra long screwdrivers from screwfix ( extra long about 10 to 12 inch long ) as an extra safety measure also used my rock pegs  from caravan shop kath

• Like 1

1 minute ago, winithewitch said:

Hi yes they are extra long screwdrivers from screwfix ( extra long about 10 to 12 inch long ) as an extra safety measure also used my rock pegs  from caravan shop kath

Thank you.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 19/03/2020 at 08:17, Les Medes said:

Look out as shortly Aldi will have their caravan offers, every year they have Screw in Rock Pegs you get I think 20 for under a tenner, just use your 12 volt drill  it includes  the adaptor that fits in the drill's chuck

good bargain , but you will find it hard to screw them in hardstanding , what i do is hammer them in , then unscrew out ,simples  ..

47 minutes ago, pip461 said:

good bargain , but you will find it hard to screw them in hardstanding , what i do is hammer them in , then unscrew out ,simples  ..

They are very good pegs BUT beware when using your drill/driver on them as the T part at the top spins with the peg. Someone nearly lost a finger with them and I sliced a lump out of my thumb first time I used them. Consequently I knocked the peg out of the T and ran a drill through the T so it was free to rotate. Since then I’ve been using toolstation 8mm coach screws and penny washers. Very strong and very cheap and the ALDI T slide straight on. The crack when driving pegs into hard standings is to drive them in firmly but not too hard. This way the pegs work their way through the aggregate. The Thor “in one” approach will just bend them. When al Elise fails I have an 8mm long masonry bit to drill through the tough stuff.