Covid19

Message added by JonF

Hi All,

As so many good questions, answers and comments are getting swamped by the size of this thread we'll be locking it soon and asking members to start new specific threads (parks closed, infection control etc). Hopefully, this will help members and visitors get to the information they need more quickly.

Please feel free to go ahead and start or continue new topics in advance of us locking this one.

Thanks,

Jon.

16 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

First time I have heard of evacuation flights half way round the world by countries and hospitals being built for flu ?

There was one built in China during the Sars Epidemic. Took 7 days to construct. Presently one being built scheduled to take 6 days and there are streaming CCTV coverage 24 hours a day in China according to reports in The Times of Malta

11 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

There may also be existing powers that could be applied, depending on the immediate situation being confronted. e.g S136 Mental Health Act, danger to self or others, springs to mind. Without poring over the books I can't say with any authority what could be used.

I should imagine that it is all voluntary at the moment, but if push came to shove they would detain them , probably under the mental health act , as it would be insane to go against the system in place at the moment.  The chap on the news this morning showed us the flat / apartment that he was staying in and said that they were being given everything they asked for and that there was a small space where they could go out for some fresh air.

2 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

I wonder if this epidemic will effect the profits of ChInese restaurants and carry outs in the UK.  Just a thought.. 

I had the same thoughts and suspect that as a number do return home for the Lunar New Year that it might.

1 minute ago, joanie said:

I should imagine that it is all voluntary at the moment, but if push came to shove they would detain them , probably under the mental health act , as it would be insane to go against the system in place at the moment.  The chap on the news this morning showed us the flat / apartment that he was staying in and said that they were being given everything they asked for and that there was a small space where they could go out for some fresh air.

Yes, local news I believe according to OH said that they were bringing in extra washing machines and TV etc and that wifi was available

I've already linked to the relevant statutory powers 

No doctor will certify a patient insane under these circumstances!

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

I wonder if this epidemic will effect the profits of ChInese restaurants and carry outs in the UK.  Just a thought.. 

I fully expect that some people will (irrationally) stop eating Chinese take aways yes, so its certainly possible.

19 minutes ago, joanie said:

I would think that the government must have some powers enacted under some sort of emergency powers act to forcibly detain people who are a risk of transmitting an infectious disease if things became serious enough. Quite were they would detain them if the numbers became huge rather than just 80 or so is another matter.

The Happy Gnome - been caravanning for more years than I care to remember!

28 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

I expect so as the paranoid few start to grow. Ironically I suspect that the food in the majority of High Street outlets is made in a UK factory and the majority of those serving it were born here and never ventured further afield.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

30 minutes ago, joanie said:

The government will do what ever it needs to do to protect public health and will only release information what it wants you to hear to stop unrest .  As example I stopped eating beefburgers ten years before any mention anywhere .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

1 hour ago, kelper said:

I've already linked to the relevant statutory powers 

No doctor will certify a patient insane under these circumstances!

Doctors don't certify insanity but they can certify sanity.

It would take time to get an order from a Magistrate. 

A police officer has the power to detain under S136 MHA which isn't about insanity. It's about protecting the individual and others who may be at risk during a time of crisis, having a professional medical assessment carried out and providing appropriate treatment. An example in these circumstances could be someone delirious with fever.

One positive in York was a student at the University .

Major Concerns are this virus can be transmitted with no symptoms unlike other viruses that could not be transmitted until symptoms showed .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

19 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

One positive in York was a student at the University .

Major Concerns are this virus can be transmitted with no symptoms unlike other viruses that could not be transmitted until symptoms showed .

Dave

Sorry but that isn't entirely accurate.  There are other viruses that can be transmitted during the incubation period and before symptoms show.  Including the more common influenza viruses. The media seem to be making a big thing of this but it's not actually unique to coronavirus.

I think two of the biggest problems we have  at the moment is the 'sensationalist' nature of the way this is being reported by parts of the media which is creating a 'doomsday' mentality amongst some of the population.

And the other of course is 'Social media' which allows myths and down right 'fake news' to propagate unchecked.  This wasn't such a big issue (if an issue at all) during, SARS and other earlier outbreaks.

7 minutes ago, Thehappygnome said:

I think two of the biggest problems we have  at the moment is the 'sensationalist' nature of the way this is being reported by parts of the media which is creating a 'doomsday' mentality amongst some of the population.

And the other of course is 'Social media' which allows myths and down right 'fake news' to propagate unchecked.  This wasn't such a big issue (if an issue at all) during, SARS and other earlier outbreaks.

Both areas are very good at that. We have seen that recently. Pity people follow them like sheep 😏

I'm just off to Tescos to start panic buying of all their dried and tinned goods, bottled water, surgical masks, and disinfectant wipes. :unsure:

LMAO :beardy:

Just been and when queuing at check out the guy in front cough/sneezed so my wife moved 2 meters away.

Yes the media news is catching on.

The other day on the BBC news it said they could not give any details on the 2 people in York due to data protection. Well there is a photo on the BBC news website clearly showing one of the coach drivers so anyone who knows him will be able to identify him. Double standards ? The driver looks to be in his 60s so might be considered as in a vulnerable age group, hope he got some danger money, never mind the 10 days paid holiday to stay at home. His neighbours are not likely to be happy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51337400

6 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

The other day on the BBC news it said they could not give any details on the 2 people in York due to data protection. Well there is a photo on the BBC news website clearly showing one of the coach drivers so anyone who knows him will be able to identify him. Double standards ? The driver looks to be in his 60s so might be considered as in a vulnerable age group, hope he got some danger money, never mind the 10 days paid holiday to stay at home. His neighbours are not likely to be happy.

News at lunch time said the 2 people are related and one of them is a student in York.

Think the media will tell us as they get to know bit by bit, doubt they will worry about data protection.

Interesting they are saying that the University students are low risk but WHO are saying the transfer risk by contact with objects .

I take it the student never touched anything then from contraction in China to putting in quarantine ?

Edited by CommanderDave

1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

Neither will his family :angry:

It's just flu at the end of the day.  600 die of flu every year in the UK.  China has twenty times our population and might expect 12,000 deaths a year.  I see on Johns Hopkins site that today the recoveries now outnumber deaths.  I'm pretty chilled about it.

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, kelper said:

It's just flu at the end of the day.  600 die of flu every year in the UK.  China has twenty times our population and might expect 12,000 deaths a year.  I see on Johns Hopkins site that today the recoveries now outnumber deaths.  I'm pretty chilled about it.

Spot on.  As I said earlier the media are having a field day and to a degree the way the authorities are reatcting isnt helping either. Its new so there seems to be a need to treat people differently from if they had caught common or garden flu.

We already know the fatality rate is much less than SARS for example.

If true It's not like China to put out a plee for help from the rest of the world ? 

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I was driving across Glen Coe today around lunch time and there were two tour buses full with Chinese tourists all out at one of the view points, what drew my attention to them was that they were all wearing paper masks (not they will do much use) with the exception of the two bus drivers. Noticed that the other people in the area were all looking wondering what to do, (stay well clear)  I kept driving been across that road lots of time so no need to stop. :o

17 minutes ago, Sparkie240 said:

I was driving across Glen Coe today around lunch time and there were two tour buses full with Chinese tourists all out at one of the view points, what drew my attention to them was that they were all wearing paper masks (not they will do much use) with the exception of the two bus drivers. Noticed that the other people in the area were all looking wondering what to do, (stay well clear)  I kept driving been across that road lots of time so no need to stop. :o

It must have been hard not to stop and have a look, attached some pictures for those who have yet to go there. When there I saw a group who stopped at a lay by to have their wedding photos taken. The ones attached are views from the road going down to Glencoe plus one of the town of Glencoe.

P5160253.JPG

P5160282.JPG

P5120022.JPG

25 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

It must have been hard not to stop and have a look, attached some pictures for those who have yet to go there. When there I saw a group who stopped at a lay by to have their wedding photos taken. The ones attached are views from the road going down to Glencoe plus one of the town of Glencoe.

P5160253.JPG

P5160282.JPG

P5120022.JPG

It was spectacular today after all rain that we have had I stayed in Invercoe Caravan site last night and the weather was dreadful high wind and rain. This is a photo from Glen Etive just off the A82

20200201_104232[1].jpg

• JonF pinned, locked and unpinned this topic
  • JonF locked and unlocked this topic
  • JonF locked this topic