JonF

Hi All,

As so many good questions, answers and comments are getting swamped by the size of this thread we'll be locking it soon and asking members to start new specific threads (parks closed, infection control etc). Hopefully, this will help members and visitors get to the information they need more quickly.

Please feel free to go ahead and start or continue new topics in advance of us locking this one.

Thanks,

Jon.

Message added by JonF

I'm shocked if the UK's Chief Medical Officer has been overruled on the basis of a PROJECTION from Imperial College based on new data about a new disease where the relevant parameters are still mostly unknown.  

I think we need leaders with moral convictions and backbone.  But these are in scant supply.

6 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

You've hit the nail on the head there Kelper, my Mrs is a teacher (German & Psychology) and she is absolutely clueless when it comes to IT, in fact anything that needs formatting or putting into a spreadsheet or Powerpoint etc, I do it for her.

Is that not because the most successful education system in Europe (Germany) maintains “old fashioned” standards of exams and elitism eg “The Gymnasium” for its top exam results children plus an accent on “chalk and Talk”

5 minutes ago, kelper said:

I'm shocked if the UK's Chief Medical Officer has been overruled on the basis of a PROJECTION from Imperial College based on new data about a new disease where the relevant parameters are still mostly unknown.  

I think we need leaders with moral convictions and backbone.  But these are in scant supply.

Better to test the projection by letting the bodies pile up?

One could be my 13 year old grand daughter-type 1 diabetic for 10 years.

11 minutes ago, kelper said:

He commissioned the research!

Experts don't just magic the science and the data from thin air.  And when the facts change, so do their actions.  As he said when explaining why he was changing tack.  For example, the experience in Italy was showing that many more people were going to need ventilators rather than just oxygen.

12 minutes ago, ancell said:

Is that not because the most successful education system in Europe (Germany) maintains “old fashioned” standards of exams and elitism eg “The Gymnasium” for its top exam results children plus an accent on “chalk and Talk”

No, she’s just solid 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, ancell said:

You need to read the 20 page paper by Imperial College Wil de Beast link.

The tables are truly petrifying.

Keep a Stiff Upper Lip and Stand Your Ground = 400000+  dead in 12 weeks -in the UK!

Study and learn.

We’ve had a scary proportion of our midwives call in either showing symptoms themselves or living with somebody who does. On day one of the new rules.

The requirement for those who are asymptomatic to isolate for 14 days if they live with somebody who is symptomatic will have a massive impact within a week if it carries on.

Never mind study and learn, get to the coal face and see - there will be nobody left to provide a service, so a degree of risk management and balance is required.

2 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

We’ve had a scary proportion of our midwives call in either showing symptoms themselves or living with somebody who does. On day one of the new rules.

The requirement for those who are asymptomatic to isolate for 14 days if they live with somebody who is symptomatic will have a massive impact within a week if it carries on.

Never mind study and learn, get to the coal face and see - there will be nobody left to provide a service, so a degree of risk management and balance is required.

Perhaps very soon  we will be testing the caring professionals like doctors nurses mid wives etc.

Perhaps in a few weeks we will be testing tanker drivers power and gas workers and others employed in critical occupations.

Clearly they have to up the testing certainly of front line employees.  This is the season of colds and flu. So anyone having symptoms are being treated as Coronavirus and isolated for14 days rather than being tested 2 days later if not got the virus just a runny nose then back to work if feeling well.

Trying to buy food essentials is now very difficult, panic buying is causing huge problems, we've not stockpiled and are now finding it difficult to buy even the basics. There are many commentators in the media saying that supply chains are in good shape, that is not what i've seen on the supermarket shelves this evening   

11 minutes ago, jetA1 said:

Trying to buy food essentials is now very difficult, panic buying is causing huge problems, we've not stockpiled and are now finding it difficult to buy even the basics. There are many commentators in the media saying that supply chains are in good shape, that is not what i've seen on the supermarket shelves this evening   

Agreed. I had my supermarket delivery last night and over 60% of the items were missing or had crazy substitutes. Items missing included milk, bread, eggs, beans, soup, bleach, etc. I now can’t get another delivery or collection slot at all. The cat food is looking more and more appetising😻🤬😻 

I went to 2 local German Supermarkets yesterday (ALDI & Edeka), apart from hand sanitiser and toilet roll (although Aldi did have toilet roll left) all the shelves were fully stocked as per normal.

13 hours ago, ancell said:

Just watching our govt expert Prof Neil Ferguson of Imperial College “there s lots we do not know about this virus and what it does”.

I m going with his version of knowledge😀

Of course they dont know 'everything' yet.

3 hours ago, jetA1 said:

Where I live I have not noticed any shortages of food essentials in any of the super market or local small shops, we still shop on a daily basis because we don't bother stocking cupboard anymore. yesterday I went to B&M everyone was allowed to buy 4 pack of 18 toilet roll, I only bought 1

44 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I went to 2 local German Supermarkets yesterday (ALDI & Edeka), apart from hand sanitiser and toilet roll (although Aldi did have toilet roll left) all the shelves were fully stocked as per normal.

There is no shortage here just a higher demand and not forgetting the greedy and selfish who are  stocking up. Shelves are full in the morning but some products have empty shelves mid afternoon..

GAS ...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

There is no shortage here just a higher demand and not forgetting the greedy and selfish who are  stocking up. Shelves are full in the morning but some products have empty shelves mid afternoon..

GAS ...:rolleyes:

Just heard on Talk Radio that Sainsbury's are starting to ration all products.

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Just heard on Talk Radio that Sainsbury's are starting to ration all products.

Nah no here Borru. We have a local Sainsburys. What they are doing however is cutting back on opening times.....

GAS ... 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

Nah no here Borru. We have a local Sainsburys. What they are doing however is cutting back on opening times.....

GAS ... 

Max of 3 on most items, max of 2 on things like toilet rolls.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-uk-cases-update-latest-travel-government-advice/

As from today my best mate has to close his driving school until further notice. It's a family firm and without it running they now have no income, bad times!!

Edited by Borussia 1900

Was in Sainsburys yesterday with "The Mrs" and was no restrictions other than the proposed opening times but I'm glad to see restrictions are being put in place to be honest....

One thing I have learned during this crisis there is a lot of "orrable "people out of there ... but I think I already knew that.

Had a chuckle to myself yesterday apparently the US of A are going through similar mass pathetic panic buying frenzy with some States reporting a 65% rise in gun sales and certain ammo sold out. Only in America...

GAS ..... 

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

Had a chuckle to myself yesterday apparently the US of A are going through similar mass pathetic panic buying frenzy with some States reporting a 65% rise in gun sales and certain ammo sold out. Only in America...

They're just getting ready for the impending Zombie Apocalypse :ph34r: 

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Talking aboot "zombies " that's the Mrs just walked past after crawling out of her scratcher .... :D:ph34r: ...

GAS ...

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Probably need some extra guns to bury along with provisions somewhere in the woods for SHTF day. I wouldn't fancy fighting over the last pack of toilet rolls  

Edited by Easy T

4 hours ago, jetA1 said:

The supply chains are in good shape, it’s the morons panic-buying that is having the impact.

Remember the infamous fuel crisis of nearly 20-years ago? Rationing, lines of traffic waiting at fuel stations and so-on? Supply was always sufficient to meet normal demand, but it wasn’t sufficient to meet panic buyers who disrupt normal demand.

• Like 2

Probably like others, we received an email from Sainsbury's today, won't affect us but......

'Dear xxxxxx.

I wrote to you last week to tell you about some of the steps we are taking to support increased demand for food and other essential items.

After I wrote to you last week, many of you replied. You wrote to share your concerns about our elderly and vulnerable customers and to ask if we can do more to restrict the number of items each person can buy. I have listened to feedback from you and from Sainsbury's colleagues across the country and wanted to share some of the extra steps we are taking to make sure everyone has access to the items that they need:

A number of you suggested that we reserve an hour in stores for elderly and vulnerable customers. In response to this request, we will set aside the first hour in every supermarket this Thursday 19th March, for elderly and vulnerable customers. I hope that you can respect this decision and will work with us as we try our best to help those that need it the most. If you or an elderly family member, friend or neighbour would like to shop during this hour, please check online for your local supermarket opening hours.

We will also help elderly and vulnerable customers access food online. From Monday 23rd March, our online customers who are over 70 years of age or have a disability will have priority access to online delivery slots. We will contact these customers in the coming days with more details.

For any online customer who can travel to our stores, from Monday 23rd March, we will operate an expanded 'click and collect' service. We are significantly increasing the number of collection sites across the country over the coming days in preparation for this. Customers can place their order online as usual and pick it up from a collection point in the store car park. We believe this will also work for people who are self-isolating.

As we work to feed the nation, we are also focusing all of our efforts on getting as much food and other essential items from our suppliers, into our warehouses and onto shelves as we possibly can. We still have enough food for everyone - if we all just buy what we need for us and our families.

To help us get more essential items onto the shelves, from this Thursday 19th March, we will be closing our cafes and our meat, fish and pizza counters in supermarkets. This means we can free up warehouse and lorry capacity for products that customers really need. It will also free up time for our store colleagues to focus on keeping the shelves as well stocked as possible.

I mentioned last week that we had put limits on a very small number of products. Following feedback from our customers and from our store colleagues, we have decided to put restrictions on a larger number of products. From tomorrow, Wednesday 18th March, customers will be able to buy a maximum of three of any grocery product and a maximum of two on the most popular products including toilet paper, soap and UHT milk. We have enough food coming into the system, but are limiting sales so that it stays on shelves for longer and can be bought by a larger numbers of customers.

Finally, I wanted to end by saying a huge thank you to Sainsbury's colleagues across the business. Everyone is working flat out in difficult circumstances to do their best to serve our customers. If you're able to say thank you to them when you see them, I know they would hugely appreciate it.

Best wishes

Mike'

Posted (edited)

It will settle down after the initial panic and people find they've they no space left and other perishable stuff will start to go bad and be thrown away.

Some people are going to get a bit cheesed off with living off their stockpile of pasta and baked beans.

We generally have a major shop once a month (either on line or a visit to Sainsbury's nine miles away) with a weekly foray to the local Co-op (five miles away) for fresh fruit, veggie's and milk . I make our own bread so that's not a problem and we've probably got about six weeks or more worth of frozen stuff in the freezer. We've been doing it ever since we got married 50 years ago so there's no change for us

My wife got the same e-mail from Sainsbury's as Griff's above, so they are obviously looking at either their on-line or Nectar customer database (possibly even identifying the over 70's - which we qualify)

Edited by matelodave

Really good they are prioritising the over 70s. Time to start being creative-visit the smaller shops/farm shops etc perhaps. I was visiting in hospital last night-interesting that the general comment was that suddenly A and E was a lot less busy-makes you realise how many people probably didn't ought to be going there in the first place!!!

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

22 minutes ago, matelodave said:

It will settle down after the initial panic and people find they've they no space left and other perishable stuff will start to go bad and be thrown away.

Some people are going to get a bit cheesed off with living off their stockpile of pasta and baked beans.

We generally have a major shop once a month (either on line or a visit to Sainsbury's nine miles away) with a weekly foray to the local Co-op (five miles away) for fresh fruit, veggie's and milk . I make our own bread so that's not a problem and we've probably got about six weeks or more worth of frozen stuff in the freezer. We've been doing it ever since we got married 50 years ago so there's no change for us

My wife got the same e-mail from Sainsbury's as Griff's above, so they are obviously looking at either their on-line or Nectar customer database (possibly even identifying the over 70's - which we qualify)

I do agree, we can only store and eat so much so after the initial stock pile things will die down so long as the sources of supply don’t dry up.

On the face of it rationing makes sense.  But we are planning that our son and or daughter will be doing our shopping for us.  Without some sort of ration book how will they be able to show this to a shop.  They may have to make two visits or go to two supermarkets.

John