Awning/Roof rail connection

It’s rough and ready!!!...if this fails...(removed) ...one last question on the strap!...I presume there is meant to be a gap under the end caps to allow water to drain along the strap and down the side of the van in rain... 

CD1DDA94-94E1-4648-A3C3-5E01D050A163.jpeg

3CC1FFDE-5729-4C2D-8DAD-79BBA28475E1.jpeg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been where you are now, and in fact I am in that position again now, though not to such an extent. With (i presume) no warranty or comeback against the vendor and assuming you are not going to

The roof strap does not have a herzim strip.

Some puddling is pretty much normal on older vans when pitched level. Common cure is to pitch a couple of degrees nose up or down.

Posted Images

If it's water tight it'll be fine I'm sure. No one's going to check the roof for aesthetics !

Knowing what you know now after taking off the roof and awning rails, do you think the job I did on mine would suffice with the rooflock alone ? Seems to have completely sealed up the roof strap and I don't see how water can penetrate it now. 

Also as for the awning rails, I don't see how water can get into a vertical surface like that and cause serious damage, but as for the roof it makes sense, hence that's all I concentrated on.  

Interested to hear what you think. Sounds like you've tackled the source of the problem anyway  and now the remainder is the damage internally is left to do. Pity we're all on lockdown and no one can go to the beach after all the hard work... :-(

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Irishboy said:

CD1DDA94-94E1-4648-A3C3-5E01D050A163.jpeg

Are you fitting Herzim filler strip in the roof strap?

Edited by limecc
3 hours ago, mikelan said:

Mikelan, it’s all relative really. I knew nothing about caravans before I started. If I had a van worth 10k or more I would probably want to get to the source of the problem. If I had a cheaper van, I might do the tape and see how it goes.In hindsight,I wouldn’t have taken off the awning rail as the screw holes are the only place that can let on water there as far as  I can tell. The roof straps , yeah probably would have taken them off and put them on again. Like I mentioned I was unable to screw home some screws so I don’t know yet if my repair solved the problem. I know that the professionals are against rooflock / eternabond, but let me tell you , if this repair doesn’t work, I’ll be slapping the tape over it then. My aim is to moisture meter check the van in the short term to see if it works. I will also be doing the internal repair in normal wallpaper , so the dampness should be evident earlier. That vinyl stuff that is used in caravans is deadly for disguising the enormity is the problem in my opinion and also makes it impossible to dry out what’s behind it. 

49 minutes ago, limecc said:

Do you mean their is a strip that can close off the strap?

Cheers for that !

If I was designing a caravan I'd make the roof fit like a shoe box lid so these issues couldn't arise. Joins on a roof are asking for trouble imo.

2 hours ago, limecc said:

• Like 1
  • I disagree 1
1 hour ago, mikelan said:

Cheers for that !

If I was designing a caravan I'd make the roof fit like a shoe box lid so these issues couldn't arise. Joins on a roof are asking for trouble imo.

Probably a money issue.. cheaper...quicker method... maybe

2 hours ago, mikelan said:

Not so many years ago, the roof came down to the front and rear windows. With the advent of plastic fronts and rears came the roof strap. Common sense says it’s bad design

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Brecon said:

I think you may be wrong. Looks like it should have and looks like the roof strap I purchased from O'Leary Motorhomes.

Edited by limecc
10 hours ago, limecc said:

I think you may be wrong. Looks like it should have and looks like the roof strap I purchased from O'Leary Motorhomes.

I know I am right.

Having removed and resealed more than I care to think of, they do NOT have a herzim strip, regardless of what it "looks like". 

1 hour ago, Brecon said:

I know I am right.

Having removed and resealed more than I care to think of, they do NOT have a herzim strip, regardless of what it "looks like". 

Maybe so. Shall I photograph mine to convince you?

I have only been working on caravans for about 30 years, so you can do as you please, but I know what I work on .

Sprayed the roof with water for 20 mins ...

this pond occurred . I presume that’s not good.....Any suggestions 

3BB37B19-125F-485F-9E1D-7A91E85C0187.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Irishboy said:

Sprayed the roof with water for 20 mins ...

this pond occurred . I presume that’s not good.....Any suggestions 

Some puddling is pretty much normal on older vans when pitched level. Common cure is to pitch a couple of degrees nose up or down.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1
Posted (edited)

This is a bow in the middle tho... at the strap... has no where to go even with nose down a bit...? There’s literally 5 to 7mm of water standing there 

2A196E03-94F8-4511-A750-DDF23637DB58.jpeg

Edited by Irishboy

As long as the water is kept on the roof, and by looking at the amount of sealant you have used, it is, then that's fine, its not getting into the van and as soon as you move the van it will run off.

• Thanks 1

Looking a bit closer, is that strap end to end, or side to side? If side to side , a little off level side to side would help.

20 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Looking a bit closer, is that strap end to end, or side to side? If side to side , a little off level side to side would help.

Strap is side to side ... I see you point .. might be more than a little tilt needed!

Posted (edited)

This Van is cursed!... so turned the outside screw leg to raise and tilt the caravan and the floor started to move upwards without the caravan. I struggled to get the jack out of the hole. The floor is cracking on the inside . I raised the caravan with the jockey wheel and this result in the floor dropping again . 

38A39B87-3B1D-41B1-B655-55392126BF4F.jpeg

1A1AD474-D4D8-4636-BB79-13EBDE52E70C.jpeg

A20F7FE8-C02A-489A-B531-251AF4EE045A.jpeg

Edited by Irishboy

The steadies are not meant for jacking the caravan up. If wanting to tilt the caravan a ramp could be used under a wheel or a jack under the axle at a suitable point. Jacking brackets are also available to fasten to the chassis, as an example the Alko jacking brackets to use with their side jack https://www.wilmond.co.uk/al-ko-corner-steady-winding-handle-brace-344469561.html

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Irishboy said:

This Van is cursed!... so turned the outside screw leg to raise and tilt the caravan and the floor started to move upwards without the caravan. I struggled to get the jack out of the hole. The floor is cracking on the inside . I raised the caravan with the jockey wheel and this result in the floor dropping again . 

The steadies should never be used to adjust side to side level, although you can normally get way with small adjustments if the van is in good nick.

However, sad to say, in your case this has revealed damp damage which is far too close to terminal for comfort!

Was this why so much sealant was used on the roof?

Edited by Stevan
16 hours ago, Stevan said:

The steadies should never be used to adjust side to side level, although you can normally get way with small adjustments if the van is in good nick.

However, sad to say, in your case this has revealed damp damage which is far too close to terminal for comfort!

Was this why so much sealant was used on the roof?

I am confident that the damp was coming from the roof straps. Therefore I have sealed roof straps but the front left corner floor for about 1m in length is rotten.. but only the timbers . That is the horizontal timber that forms the bottom rail of the wall and under that the timber that forms the side rail of the floor.

Looks like I have been abusing the corner steadies from my research in the last hour!...

• I agree completely 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all . Stupid question. I went to put the awning rail trim back in... it’s in 2 sections . It broke. One side of the caravan had the trim in like I have marked ‘old’ in photo and side had it marked ‘new’.... is new or old correct. I think it’s ‘new’ as it collects the rainwater that way.

3965CE03-E4C8-4762-9BB9-05250DB5AFC4.jpeg

I had a similar issue with the front right corner steady where the water heater flue had leaked and let water in. After dealing with the wall I took the steady off and mounted it on a bl00dy great chunk of 18mm marine ply which runs under the front frame and about a third of the way back down the van. No more lifting of the floor when I drop the steady. 

• Thanks 1

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********