Interested on buying a swift caravan. The caravan i have seen has damage to roof (see photo). Could this be costly to fix? Is there likely to be damp or is it superficial damage?

IMG-20200316-WA0005.jpg

I would wonder why the seller was selling as is, rather than fixing it up first!

If it is really cheap then you could get a caravan engineer to inspect it and get an estimated repair cost.

That's really strange damage, do you know how it happened ?

Interesting.

Everyone is saying walk but I see an opportunity if the numbers are right. 

Seeing it in it's raw state is an advantage and you have a great bargaining chip.

I'm not sure how people can give a verdict simply to walk away without knowing the extent of the damage, the age and model of the caravan and the price being asked compared to market. 

I would want a professional assessment of the damage, an estimate for repair and then the numbers would have to stack up in my favour. When talking cars I would want the difference between asking price and market value to be at least double the cost of repair. So if the market value is 12k, and repair cost is 3k I would want to pay no more than 6k, less if possible. I would probably apply the same logic to a caravan but I would have to have a professional assessment first.

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

Surely it’s  just the vinyl black wrap which has shrunk and pulled off the caravan panel, then split and torn. Reason it looks so bad is that dirt has stuck onto the remnants of the adhesive. Purely cosmetic. 

• I agree completely 2
6 hours ago, PMW said:

I'm not sure how people can give a verdict simply to walk away without knowing the extent of the damage, the age and model of the caravan

I would want a professional assessment of the damage, an estimate for repair

I would have to have a professional assessment first.

I'm not giving a verdict at all but a general principle. I've been looking at accident damaged caravans and need to consider each on a case-by-case basis and give each close examination. Can only get a rough idea from photos.

There's no time to get a professional assessment and several repair quotes. That's why the post was labelled 'Urgent help needed'. Maybe the owner did this already and has a bottom line?

This type of purchase is not for the faint hearted, potentially high risk with possible high gains. I would be doing any repair myself. This is not possible for most folk.

You make your choice and negotiate the price.. Not like I would be buying a car with complex and expensive mechanicals, but I'd consider this too if the price was right. Homework needed!

Edited by limecc

My initial thoughts were that the roof had parted company with the front panel. But on closer inspection it looks like Tuningdrew has it spot on. If the yellow material that’s visible is insulation then I would be walking away, but if it’s the underlying GRP them it does indeed look like is just the vinyl that’s cracked and peeled away, so is an easy fix. HOWEVER I would be very cautious as it could be a real pile of trouble. 

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

6 hours ago, PMW said:

I'm not sure how people can give a verdict simply to walk away without knowing the extent of the damage, the age and model of the caravan and the price being asked compared to market. 

Easy! Walking away is the one sure way of avoiding losing loads of money!

Yes it is possible to assess the damage yourself, or get a professional estimate and then weigh up the costs, but this still entails a risk. Easier to walk away, there are plenty of other vans around.

Edited by Stevan
3 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

If the yellow material that’s visible is insulation then I would be walking away

Here's another walker.

It would only affect the price after I made my repair and risk assessment.

1 minute ago, Stevan said:

Easy! Walking away is the one sure way of avoiding losing loads of money!

And another walker. Boy I'd love to be in an auction against you guys..

• I agree completely 2
14 minutes ago, limecc said:

And another walker. Boy I'd love to be in an auction against you guys..

Would not happen because I would not be buying at auction!

2 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Would not happen because I would not be buying at auction!

Was just thinking the same.

:)

Top man!!

You don't say why you want to buy it ? Whether its to get a good van cheaper , and do the repairs yourself , then use it for your own use, go for it! But if you just want to do it up and flick it of , be very careful ?

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:
4 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

Surely it’s  just the vinyl black wrap which has shrunk and pulled off the caravan panel, then split and torn. 

My initial thoughts were that the roof had parted company with the front panel. But on closer inspection it looks like Tuningdrew has it spot on. If the yellow material that’s visible is insulation then I would be walking away, but if it’s the underlying GRP then it does indeed look like is just the vinyl that’s cracked and peeled away, so is an easy fix. HOWEVER I would be very cautious as it could be a real pile of trouble. 

:goodpost:Andy.

I also have another concern, and that is the apparent  bend in the leading edge of the skylight. Is that making a good weather seal or not?

Without inspecting it myself, my inclination like others, is to simply walk away and chance missing a bargain. 

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

8 minutes ago, James Donald said:

You don't say why you want to buy it ? Whether its to get a good van cheaper , and do the repairs yourself , then use it for your own use, go for it! But if you just want to do it up and flick it of , be very careful ?

Why would someone with the knowledge and ability to fix it be asking this question on here?

It could just be peeling vinyl, but that still leaves the question of "why?", this is hardly a common issue but in this case seems to affect two panels. Even if it is just the vinyl, there could be an underlying issue such as a failed previous repair.

14 hours ago, Stevan said:

I would wonder why the seller was selling as is, rather than fixing it up first!

Might it be that he has involved his insurer who wanted to write it off.   If it was written off, without getting endless inspections and reports, as the new owner, you couldn't get it insured.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

It does look somewhat like the problem that occurs with ' wrapped ' cars or boats when the vinyl starts to lift especially at joins and ends, as in the photo, more so when it ends in a gutter as in this instance and water can wick upwards, ( remember the old vinyl car roofs of years ago where it used to lift from the gutter rails ), knowing the age of the van would be handy.

Not knowing what the substrate is, plastic, alloy, fibre glass , others will know, I personally would give a section of the area a quick scrape with a finger nail to see what lies below to see if there is any form of damage, or corrosion, and possibly do a damp test at the window and go from there, but then again I like a puzzle and a challenge. 😁😉

If it is simply the vinyl lifting, re-covering / repairing is quite possible but at a price, the questions that would need to answered and priced would be, could a partial repair be possible, if so could the colour be matched, if not able to match then the possible cost of a full roof wrap, or as they occasionally do with boats and cars a partial contrasting fitting.

Interesting though, at the right price it could be a bargain.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

My feeling is that if you ask the question then you do not have the knowledge to be sure and we cannot be sure from the photo. It looks superficial but without an expert opinion I would leave it alone.

9 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

My feeling is that if you ask the question then you do not have the knowledge to be sure and we cannot be sure from the photo. It looks superficial but without an expert opinion I would leave it alone.

I agree - if you are unsure and can't get someone to physically inspect it then I would not rely on an opinion from a photo on a forum

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I will stick my neck out with the following: The photo shows a Swift with GRP white coloured front panel curving up to the roof joint. Its an early version of the curved front design with a smaller screen printed curved window set into a recess in the GRP molding. The black surrounding area is a self adhesive vinyl wrap, and this appears to have gone "bad ways" and looks quite alarming. It is unlikely that there is any terrible damage to the GRP molded panel beneath it, so if my conjecture is right a vinyl signage company would be able to sort it out at reasonable cost by screen printing.  A caravan in this mess has not been cared for so I would also be concerned about other issues - especially damp, and 'domestic abuse' to the interior fabrics etc.  This is an inspection job for an experienced professional. Also the provenance of the caravan must be a concern, so Jaydugs advice is relevant.  

• I agree completely 1

Ern

2 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Might it be that he has involved his insurer who wanted to write it off.   If it was written off, without getting endless inspections and reports, as the new owner, you couldn't get it insured.

Uninsurable? Who cares? Insurance is not mandatory. This would be reflected in the item value.

Caravan has damp? Who cares? I could either live with it or do a repair to the extent I choose. Doesn't stop me from towing it or using it. This would be reflected in the item value.

All caravans have problems, Everyone has their own idea of what they are prepared to buy/tolerate/repair based upon past experiences, fears, budget, confidence and ability etc etc.

When I look at a damage repairable my first thought is can I get my money back even if adding little or no value? Second is how much time and effort am I willing to give even if I'm not selling it on. Third do I have the skills and resources available to complete the project and if not to where would I turn? Everyone to their own..