Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Burnley

Avondale golden osprey 2007 blow air issue

Recommended Posts

First off hello to everyone. My wife and I are new to caravanning but not to the whole outdoor way of life. (Camping, camper)

 

I have recently purchased the above caravan and found that the blow air heating turns itself off then comes back on after a while. It is running on 1000W power (medium) and the blow air system is set to auto - number 5 which is maximum. 

 

I thought perhaps it was over cooled and so needed to come back to temperature but whilst it was stopped it was still radiating quite a lot of heat so not sure. Tried putting the blow air from auto to manual and still didn't work.

 

To be on the safe side I switched it off and plugged in a small fan heater to keep us warm. (SIDE NOTE: the rain hammered it down all night and it was still bone dry the morning after so happy that it's not got any major water ingress)

 

Can't remember the name of the heater, I assume it's a standard type.

 

I did have the seller who was a dealer carry out checks and it was all working but the first time I noticed it not running was the morning after our first nights sleep, it had been on all night keeping us toastie warm.

 

So is this a known issue or just normal and nothing to worry about.

 

TIA

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:welcome:to the forum Steve,

I sounds like it might be a thermostat problem or setting. A picture of the heater and the controls on the wall of the heaters heat settings and thermostat would be a great help. :)

  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Doosan said:

:welcome:to the forum Steve,

I sounds like it might be a thermostat problem or setting. A picture of the heater and the controls on the wall of the heaters heat settings and thermostat would be a great help. :)

Thanks for the reply Doosan.

 

I will put pictures up when we visit this weekend. It's not a huge deal, as it stands as we have a perfectly good back up but as with anything you want it to work right eh!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fire you have in your van is probably a Truma Trumatic S2003.   If so, going from the control on the top of the fire, down to the pcb, is a cable containing five wires.   At both end of the cable, the plugs simply push onto five tags printed on the pcb and the control knob.   I've known the cable to get slightly dislodged at the control end.   Might be worth a check first.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most common cause of the Truma heater not working as it should is the position of the thermostat, which is located in the wall switch, which is usually mounted close to the fire itself, in a cupboard side wall such as the wardrobe or similar.

 

What happens then is as the whole van warms up, the space where the thermostat is get sup to the set temperature and the fire switches off, but as the van cools down, the thermostat is still in a place that keeps the heat in , and will not switch the fire back on.

 

The solution is to fit a remote sensor to the control box of the Ultraheat (the electric heater) and secure it to the gas sensor at the front , bottom of the fire.

  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

The fire you have in your van is probably a Truma Trumatic S2003.   If so, going from the control on the top of the fire, down to the pcb, is a cable containing five wires.   At both end of the cable, the plugs simply push onto five tags printed on the pcb and the control knob.   I've known the cable to get slightly dislodged at the control end.   Might be worth a check first.

That's the make and model Jaydug, well remembered and thank you. 

 

Is it easy to get at the cable though? I am a dab hand at DIY but not a fan of electrics!

 

Cheers, Steve.

 

 

Actually might be the ultraheat, is this the same thing?

 

 

 

Edited by Steve Burnley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

21 minutes ago, Brecon said:

The most common cause of the Truma heater not working as it should is the position of the thermostat, which is located in the wall switch, which is usually mounted close to the fire itself, in a cupboard side wall such as the wardrobe or similar.

 

What happens then is as the whole van warms up, the space where the thermostat is get sup to the set temperature and the fire switches off, but as the van cools down, the thermostat is still in a place that keeps the heat in , and will not switch the fire back on.

 

The solution is to fit a remote sensor to the control box of the Ultraheat (the electric heater) and secure it to the gas sensor at the front , bottom of the fire.

Hi Brecon, as per my post above, it is the blower that's cutting out, not the heating element. I assume this is a different sympton to the one your notes above are referring to. 

Edited by Steve Burnley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The control for the blower has 3 markings on it, A, O and what looks like a tadpole.

If set on A (Automatic) the fan will cut in and out as the temperature of the van changes, on the tadpole setting it is on all the time at the speed you set.

If you have problems with the way that is working then it may be the switch itself.

Probably your best bet is get a mobile engineer to look at it and only replace any item that is faulty, rather than buying bits and pieces in the hope you solve the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PhD had the same problems (Feb 2015)

If you can locate this item there’s lots of info already posted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think you have it on automatic as Brecon says, if so then it is working correctly assuming the interior is warm. Unless you are good at dealing with these things and there is a problem I would get a caravan engineer to look at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...