Truma Trauma, aka When a quick job turns out not so quick.

PMW

So, as posted elsewhere our truma ultrastore is not doing the business on 230v. I have tested resistance along the terminals in the supply lead and 0.05 ohms which doesn't look good. So I began the job of removing it. It is fitted so close to the front bulkhead that removing the element requires it's removal and it's requires the removal of the front seat. Removal of the front seat requires removal of the centre box. So I set about doing that. In the most case relatively easy, everything is screwed together apart from the 0.05mm plywood cover on the rear of the seatbase. OK, it's not quite that thin but not far off, and it is stapled and glued so no chance of removal intact. Alexa: add a sheet of 3mm marine plywood to my shopping list.

With the seat removed this is a good time to remove all the old carpet which is being replaced as part of a spring makeover and tlc program, and get the vacuum in and give everything a really good clean. I removed, piece by piece the workings of the water heater starting with the mains fuse, safety first, which was tested and good. Earth the pcb and remove it safely into an ESD bag, check the gas is off and disconnect from the heater then off with the plumbing and unscrew the heater from the floor. 

Then outside the van remove the cowl, remove the four small bots holding the flue to the sealing panel, inevitably one snapped, Alexa, add an M3 tap and 2.5mm HSS drill bit to my shopping list, and the heater is free. On removal it became apparent that all is not well around it's fittings. I removed the screws from the sealing panel which promptly came away in my hand revealing some very dry. cracked and failed mastic sealant and a rotten frame below the flue cut out in the side wall of the van. Alexa: Add a new caravan to my shopping list .... Alexa, remove new caravan from my shopping list and cancel all appointments for the next three days. 

I removed the water filter and other pluming bits to clear the workspace as much as possible and the digging out began. Thankfully the decay has not spread too far and so the repair is not massive. Some 18mm marine play offcuts from the shed will make a new frame. Lots of moisture curing two part expanding adhesive will lock everything together and the flue vent will get resealed. It will all come together again quite quickly, I hope. For now, it does look a little depressing.

Once the wall has been attended to then the floor will also need work. The damage is right where the front leg sits and the loss of connection between the fllor and side frame means the steady is pushing the floor up. Once the wall is complete I will look to see what can be done to remedy that. 

Edited by PMW
  • Thanks 1

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

When I replaced my Truma element, I thought I was going to be in a similar position.   The boiler seemed to be much too close to the surrounding furniture.   But fortunately, by swivelling and twisting the element, it just managed to clear the fuse module.      The new one went in with a similar twist and turn.

1387370514_Newelement.jpg.829ecf4a4f817ee77798014c9929bb72.jpg

• Like 1

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst it's been a bit of a faff (that's an understatement!) removing the water heater has at least bought the matter of the damp to our notice before it got too bad and the fact that the seal which encloses the gas burner has totally perished. I've removed the worst of the damp timber and what's left is drying nicely. My attempts to complete the repair are just being frustrated at the moment waiting for items to be delivered. The new seal arrived yesterday which is just an oversized O ring, I was expecting a profiled seal given the cost. Had I realised I could have bought a suitable seal much cheaper elsewhere. 

I have some suitable 18mm marine ply to repair the frame, there isn't a lot to do but I'm waiting for glue and mastic and cannot find anywhere prepared to sell me ply to repair the wall board, it's just not considered "essential".

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg