Sign in to follow this  

Have just changed from Sky plus to Sky Q....... Sky plus worked just fine in caravan, but what about Sky Q .. I know I have to change the LNB.. but does everyhing else stay the same ??  And do I need internet ?

You are correct that you need to change the LNB but you do not need the internet for it to work however some of the functions such as on demand won’t work. 

2 hours ago, robyyy1 said:

Have just changed from Sky plus to Sky Q....... Sky plus worked just fine in caravan, but what about Sky Q .. I know I have to change the LNB.. but does everyhing else stay the same ??  And do I need internet ?

Is it a stand alone dish or a mounted dish?  If a mounted dish the Sky+HD with the Sky Q card paired to it should still work.  This has been confirmed by other member son this forum who have tried this.  Rather than hassle we will stick with Sky+HD as we have a mounted dish.

Posted (edited)

The alternative - if Sky took the old box away - is to get a used Sky+HD box. Cash Converters usually have them for well less than £20 with mains cable, remote, and a decent warranty. If you are lucky it will still have an expired viewing card in the slot which will allow you to continue to use the box for the FTA (free-to-air) channels. If there is no card then a once off £25 will get you a Freesat-from-Sky card. Once the card has been activated it will work in any box except Sky-Q.

As you won't be able to record unless you dole out a tenner a month to Sky, whilst at CashConv you might ask if they have any multi-room boxes. These use basically the same tuner etc as the Sky+HD but as they don't record they are much smaller and lighter. They also come in at well less than £20 with mains cable, remote, and guarantee and may also still have an expired viewing card in the slot.

Edited by Woodentop

1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

If you are lucky it will still have an expired viewing card in the slot which will allow you to continue to use the box for the FTA (free-to-air) channels. If there is no card then a once off £25 will get you a Freesat-from-Sky card. Once the card has been activated it will work in any box except Sky-Q.

You do not need a Freesat-from-Sky card to watch the free to air channels...as free to air channels are, by definition, free to air and free from encryption and no card is required.

The Freesat-from-Sky / free to view card only allows you to allocate the regional bbc itv and c4 channel variations that the card is allocated to, and grants access to the three free to view (encrypted but no subscription required) channels....Local TV, Yesterday+1 and 4music.

(but as all BBC regions are already on the Sky channel list anyway, and all C4 content is the same apart from regional adverts, then the only benefit for the FTV card is ITV local news on 103 and three channels - is it really worth it??).

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Is it a stand alone dish or a mounted dish?  If a mounted dish the Sky+HD with the Sky Q card paired to it should still work.

What difference is there between a correctly aligned dish is standing on a little tripod nearby and a correctly aligned dish permanently mounted on the roof? 

Does the Sky Box actually see a difference?  I am not a user of any flavour of Sky Box but my Humax & Manhattan Freesat boxes work well, both connected to the caravan tripod dish and connected to the dish bolted to the side of my house.

13 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

What difference is there between a correctly aligned dish is standing on a little tripod nearby and a correctly aligned dish permanently mounted on the roof? 

Does the Sky Box actually see a difference?  I am not a user of any flavour of Sky Box but my Humax & Manhattan Freesat boxes work well, both connected to the caravan tripod dish and connected to the dish bolted to the side of my house.

You cannot simply change the LNB on a roof mounted satellite dish as the control box needs to be updated.  The new LNB may be larger not allowing the dish to fold down fully.

I am going to use dish for Sky Q ..and going to take Sky Q box ( with card ) on hols with us.

On 15/03/2020 at 18:46, ReggiePerrin said:

Because if you park under a tree you may not be able to receive satellite on your roof dish, but if it is on a tripod on the end of 20m of cable you can put it outside the tree canopy?

The front of the caravan is facing south and the dish should be facing south.  Perfect picture with good signal strength and quality.  Only seen this happen with analogue where a bounced signal is picked up.

Sky satellite dish weird.jpg