Sign in to follow this  
GaryB1969

Small to medium diesel automatic ideas

My parents currently have a 2013 Kia Ceed diesel with manual transmission but my stepfather is struggling with the clutch and they are considering switching to an automatic. They tow a 1200kg 2012 Coachman 380 and are looking for something around 1350 to 1400kg kerb weight. They used to have a 2002 VW Bora which they liked so have mentioned Jetta’s and Golfs but I know there are some gearboxes to avoid. Their drive is narrow so they don’t want anything bigger.

Anyone got any recommendations based on experience?

Seat Leon with DSG gearbox.

• Like 1

We have recently changed from a Volvo V70 with torque converter auto gearbox, to a smaller VW Tiguan with DSG and 4Motion. Its a bit bigger than your parents need or want but the slightly smaller VW with the same gearbox is available as a VW, or Skoda, or Seat equivalent. There should be plenty of them about especially the 2WD version. With a slightly higher seat position they are great for getting into and out of for the seniors. I'm 75 and really like the cars and think the DSG gearbox is fine. 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Mk6 (or newer) Golf 2.0TDI DSG or whatever flavour they prefer on the same chassis (A3, Leon, Octavia etc). To be honest, I find the A3 reasonably priced compared to the Golf and worth a look.

The 2.0 is too powerful for the rubbish dry clutch box (DQ200?) which is on the 1.6TDI

• Like 1

Octavia. Good value, reliable, well built, comfortable, just watch the noseweight.

• Like 1

Skoda Yeti 150hp diesel. Compact size but a brilliant towcar. All 150hp are 4x4. Boot a bit on the small side but not a problem for couples. No real auto unfortunately but the DSG is the wet clutch type and very reliable. Not available as new cars, last cars was built 2017.

• Like 1

Yeti 2.0TDi. Smaller footprint than a Golf.

Avoid anything VAG under 2.0 or you will get the DQ200 dry clutch box.

• Like 1

Following our recent purchase of a Ssangyong Musso my pal bought a Tivoli. I was impressed with the build quality and solid feel of the car. Lovely gearbox and very high equipment levels. Roomy and very quiet too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

Yeti 2.0TDi. Smaller footprint than a Golf.

Avoid anything VAG under 2.0 or you will get the DQ200 dry clutch box.

Thanks. Is that the same with the petrol versions?

13 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Thanks. Is that the same with the petrol versions?

Yes.

If I was looking new I'd go with the Focus 1.5 Ecoboost auto with the new 8 speed torque converter auto.  But not sure of the budget or age your parents are looking at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

Yes.

If I was looking new I'd go with the Focus 1.5 Ecoboost auto with the new 8 speed torque converter auto.  But not sure of the budget or age your parents are looking at.

They’re looking for something around five years old. They only bought the Kia 18 months ago but they just don’t like it (and having driven it I understand that!).  They will be looking to put around £4 to £5K with the Kia so they’re probably in the £8K region.

10 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

They’re looking for something around five years old. They only bought the Kia 18 months ago but they just don’t like it (and having driven it I understand that!).  They will be looking to put around £4 to £5K with the Kia so they’re probably in the £8K region.

I'd be looking at a Golf 2.0TDi or Yeti 2.0Tdi.  They wont need the space of the Octavia and the size is probably to big.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, logiclee said:

I'd be looking at a Golf 2.0TDi or Yeti 2.0Tdi.  They wont need the space of the Octavia and the size is probably to big.

Thanks for that, I’ll pass it on to them.

If looking at diesels make sure it is a euro 6 engine since not all  car makes of 5 years old will be.

2 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

If looking at diesels make sure it is a euro 6 engine since not all  car makes of 5 years old will be.

To be honest I'm undecided on that.

Yes for City ULEZ zones but if they are retired and do mainly shorter journeys and low mileage I'd actually prefer a Euro 5

Around £8k seems to get an early mk7 Golf SE with about 60k on the clock, a few Yeti’s in Elegance spec of a similar age too 

given age / budget and needs I'd be looking at a Volvo V40 D3 Geartronic. Does all you need very comfortably, legendary Volvo reliability and great economy. There is the D4 if you want something more powerful, but the D3 is the better choice IMO

2 hours ago, PMW said:

given age / budget and needs I'd be looking at a Volvo V40 D3 Geartronic. Does all you need very comfortably, legendary Volvo reliability and great economy. There is the D4 if you want something more powerful, but the D3 is the better choice IMO

Volvo Auto's are good as long as you restrict you choices to those fitted with Aisin conventional autos and not those fitted with Fords Dual Clutch box

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Aren’t all V40’s Aisin slushers?

I need a commuting hack and the V40 D3 5-pot slusher is right at the top of the list

Edited by FrankBullet

9 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

Aren’t all V40’s Aisin slushers?

No certain models for some years got the powershift. 

Sorry I'm no Volvo expert so don't know the models/years.