Advice on buying a 32" TV

19 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

I was of the belief that the EU required a minimum of 2yrs warranty - which you get on any TV from JLP. Equally the law requires something to have a decent life expectancy and I would suggest that 12 months for a TV is not really acceptable.

Yes on mainland EU that is the case but our Government never accepted that rule.

I was told not ratified for here as our consumer rights were better than the EU.

I bought a camera from JL and it has the 2 year warranty but the TV set we are talking about comes with free 5 year warranty from JL.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

2 hours ago, JTQ said:

Well, our  32LM6300PLA, most definitely has Bluetooth audio output. 

Edit: this link confirms the Bluetooth under "wireless connectivity" :

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/product-help/CT00008334-1437136020872

On the RS website no mention but on Currys site it is mentioned so thanks.

1 minute ago, Legal Eagle said:

The UK was able to avoid compliance with that directive on the basis if existing consumer protection legislation. There is no statutory requirement to provide any warranty for any product and the length of a warranty that is provided is entirely at the manufacturer's or retailer's discretion.

Richer Sounds offer a 6 year warranty and it does work so no complaints there.  We would not buy from Currys even if the price was £50 less having been burnt in the past.

Does your soundbar not have an optical input? I would have thought it should have. Connecting a quality soundbar via a headphone socket is akin to buying quality hifi speakers then wiring them up with bell wire.

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

13 hours ago, PMW said:

Does your soundbar not have an optical input? I would have thought it should have. Connecting a quality soundbar via a headphone socket is akin to buying quality hifi speakers then wiring them up with bell wire.

It is the BOSE Mini II Soundlink and either Bluetooth or wired connection to headphone socket.

On 14/03/2020 at 07:54, matelodave said:

Sony for instance have their own codec called LDAC so ideally you want both the TV & headphones to be LDAC compatible.

The Bose Mini is only capable of the base-quality Bluetooth system; aka the low-complexity sub-band codec (SBC).  ALL bluetooth devices should support that codec, so any TV with BT headphone/speaker capability should be suitable.

It is afaik mostly the encoding that takes time (and computing power if done in software);  the decoding being relatively trivial so quicker.  TVs with headphone bluetooth feature should be able to automatically set the audio to be in lip-sync (one would hope) for internal tuner and external hdmi inputs - albeit allowing for a nominal receiver processing delay?  

@DurbaniteRicher Sounds will almost certainly demo any set you are interested in and should allow you to connect it to your speaker if you take it along.  They may also have the Bose on show in the store? 

Call them to arrange a suitable (quieter) time to do so (and check they have the TV/TVs you want to audition)?  IIRC I had to travel to a more distant branch for the last TV I bought from them.

Other stores can be equally accommodating.

Viewing angles, screen brightness, artefacts and even remote control comfort /  button legibility are (imho) far too important to just buy a telly off 'tinternet unseen.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

The little boxes that convert optical out to headphones are great and less than £10. They should power off the tv usb no problem. They normally have a volume control on them so you can adjust the input for your speaker. 

That might allow  you to buy a tv with better specs but doesn't have a headphone output.

Full HD is noticeably better quality. I wouldn't go HD Ready unless there was a feature you really needed. 

16 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

The Bose Mini is only capable of the base-quality Bluetooth system; aka the low-complexity sub-band codec (SBC).  ALL bluetooth devices should support that codec, so any TV with BT headphone/speaker capability should be suitable.

It is afaik mostly the encoding that takes time (and computing power if done in software);  the decoding being relatively trivial so quicker.  TVs with headphone bluetooth feature should be able to automatically set the audio to be in lip-sync (one would hope) for internal tuner and external hdmi inputs - albeit allowing for a nominal receiver processing delay?  

Both my TV and surround sound system have the facility to adjust for lip sync - it's not automatic and some stuff can be a long way off - even different programmes on the same channel can have different lip-sync delay.

I've also got a Trond BT-Duo bluetooth transmitter that we use in the van with our TV. It's capable of supporting two sets of headphones simultaneously and it has a low latency codec which supports SBS, Aptx and Aptx low latentsy

It reckons that SBS - the base level is around 220ms, Aptx which has a higher bit rate = around 130ms and APtx low latency is 40msec.

As we only have cheap and cheerful BT  Headphones they cannot take advantage of the low latency facility and even some of the higher end headphones and speakers will still work ok but cannot take advantage of low latency stuff unless they are compatible.

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

Both my TV and surround sound system have the facility to adjust for lip sync - it's not automatic and some stuff can be a long way off - even different programmes on the same channel can have different lip-sync delay.

I've also got a Trond BT-Duo bluetooth transmitter that we use in the van with our TV. It's capable of supporting two sets of headphones simultaneously and it has a low latency codec which supports SBS, Aptx and Aptx low latentsy

It reckons that SBS - the base level is around 220ms, Aptx which has a higher bit rate = around 130ms and APtx low latency is 40msec.

As we only have cheap and cheerful BT  Headphones they cannot take advantage of the low latency facility and even some of the higher end headphones and speakers will still work ok but cannot take advantage of low latency stuff unless they are compatible.

However you cannot adjust lip sync issue if the audio is behind the video.  No issue there other way around.  With our Panasonic no more lip sync issues on any program and there was no need to adjust the delay.  :D

The Trond BT-Duo bluetooth transmitter may be of interest, but not sure if I understand its capabilities.  At home I have a Sony headphones which I cannot use as the headphone socket is used for the sub woofer on the Panasonic GZ2000.  The Sony headphone is wireless, but the base unit plugs into the headphone socket.

If we do buy the LG mentioned earlier it has Bluetooth and probably can be used with the BOSE mini sound link.

Here's a video that shows the various configurations of using a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver. Theses are Avantree, but Trond do something similar call the Trond BT_Duo2 which also has a an optical input. Both have low latentcy codecs

I guess that if you used one as a transmitter and one as a receiver to wired headphones then you would end up with a low latentcy connection

On 14/03/2020 at 12:16, David 38 said:

Yes on mainland EU that is the case but our Government never accepted that rule.

I was told not ratified for here as our consumer rights were better than the EU.

Indeed, the 1979 sale of goods act automatically grants a six year warranty on electrical goods purchased in England, Wales & NI and 5 years in Scotland. Once the manufacturer's warranty has expired your claim then lies with the retailer. Most will try and deny their responsibility and you might have to get very "persistent" to enforce your rights. 

I had an issue with a retailer who flatly refused any liability on a tumble dryer which failed six months out of a 1 year warranty until I threatened to start charging them a reasonable fee for every day I was without the item. Most shop staff, even store managers don't know the law, those that do will try and deny it. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/11296784/Shops-accused-of-denying-six-year-warranty-right.html

I should add that the warranty applies to manufacturing defect, any inherent fault or premature failure of any component. It doesn't apply to normal wear and tear or any kind of misuse, or any use for which the item was not intended including any use of a domestic appliance in a commercial environment 

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

36 minutes ago, PMW said:

Indeed, the 1979 sale of goods act automatically grants a six year warranty on electrical goods purchased in England, Wales & NI and 5 years in Scotland. Once the manufacturer's warranty has expired your claim then lies with the retailer. Most will try and deny their responsibility and you might have to get very "persistent" to enforce your rights. 

I had an issue with a retailer who flatly refused any liability on a tumble dryer which failed six months out of a 1 year warranty until I threatened to start charging them a reasonable fee for every day I was without the item. Most shop staff, even store managers don't know the law, those that do will try and deny it. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/11296784/Shops-accused-of-denying-six-year-warranty-right.html

I should add that the warranty applies to manufacturing defect, any inherent fault or premature failure of any component. It doesn't apply to normal wear and tear or any kind of misuse, or any use for which the item was not intended including any use of a domestic appliance in a commercial environment 

Regrettably SoGA has now been replaced by the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Under CRA whilst you still have 6 yrs (5 in Scotland) to take legal action against the supplier, the early days are more complex. You have 30 days to reject an item as faulty during which you can either get a new replacement or a full refund. In the first six months if the item goes faulty it is automatically assumed that it was faulty on delivery and the supplier has one shot only at repair otherwise you get a replacement or refund: after six months you have to prove it was faulty on delivery against which the supplier can argue.

Hence why the extended guarantees provided by the likes of JLP and Richers  are to be valued as neither (generally) argue and will accept the fault - period.

• I agree completely 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville