Will The Corona Virus Affect Caravaning ?

3 minutes ago, Sea&Sand said:

NT and EH, explain please, Ta.

National Trust and English Heritage.

The difference between a master and a beginner

The master has failed more times than a beginner has ever tried.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Said by someone who regularly drives a car on a road where there are other cars that COULD crash into him causing serious injury or death if he doesn’t take SENSIBLE action such as brake and/or steer

Thought you were one of the better guys on here Andy but your Bully Boy Key Board Warrior replies which are getting more frequent in my view are unacceptable. The Theory behind reducing travel is fair

Is it nice in your world of doom and gloom??   Come ON people, let’s try and keep things a little upbeat shall we?, this is going to be a very long haul until we come out the other end so be

Posted Images

Just now, Paul1957 said:

National Trust, English Heritage sites.

:Thankyou:

1 minute ago, Lost in France said:

National Trust and English Heritage.

And :Thankyou:   to you also :)

Might improve rather than restrict - my Italy trip at Easter is cancelled (well the accommodation is but the flights aren’t...yet) so we will book something last minute in the caravan instead.

So long as it’s a serviced pitch we’ll be more than happy!

Main concern is that we move on Friday, isolation isn’t really an option for both of us!

Now that the days are getting longer and I already have the solar panels (and a generator for emergencies) I might spend some time off grid\wild camping.

With the caravan it is not as easy as with a motorhome, but I am fortunate in that there are a couple of really nice places within a couple of hours or three.

Mrs S&S is not so keen on the idea, I guess she will be happy to get me out from underneath her feet for a while though, win-win perhaps.

I am talking myself into this more and more, best pack a fishing rod and a night sky map and some vino colapso, and of course a toilet roll :rolleyes:.

3 hours ago, Sea&Sand said:

With the caravan it is not as easy as with a motorhome, but I am fortunate in that there are a couple of really nice places within a couple of hours or three.

Why is that then? Surely both caravan and motorhome have to be parked up just the same.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Might improve rather than restrict - my Italy trip at Easter is cancelled (well the accommodation is but the flights aren’t...yet) so we will book something last minute in the caravan instead.

Main concern is that we move on Friday, isolation isn’t really an option for both of us!

Well we have ferries and a mobile home booked in France for mid June.

My concern is that either the ferry or the campsite might cancel leaving me with the other bit to claim back from insurers. I have a nasty feeling that they might try to wriggle out of paying.

5 hours ago, Gordon said:

Why is that then? Surely both caravan and motorhome have to be parked up just the same.

Surprised at your comment Gordy. Its far easier to access the more secluded areas with a MH or van conversion when wild camping.  Try that with  tug and van some areas are near impossible. I'm glad in a way . They should ban wild camping as far as I'm concerned.....

GAS🧐

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Scottish National Rally just been cancelled at the start of May.

C&CC have issued a list of the status of their sites in Spain, quite a few not taking new arrivals and Marjal not allowing you back in if you go out.

One on our route to the tunnel is closed.

There is Talk that all shops except supermarkets and pharmacies will be closed in Spain.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

34 minutes ago, alan29 said:

My concern is that either the ferry or the campsite might cancel leaving me with the other bit to claim back from insurers. I have a nasty feeling that they might try to wriggle out of paying.

Check what your holiday insurance policy says. Most cover you for pre-booked items such as ferries and accommodation but ONLY if the FCO advise against “All but essential travel” Which they HAVE done for large areas of Italy and a few (so far) in Northern Spain (our destination at the end of April, hopefully) 

I had an email from Brittany Ferries last evening to say that all existing ferry bookings could, as a result of all the uncertainty be changed or rescheduled with no, or minimal cost. So they at least are being reasonable about it all. I have no idea how other operators are reacting. 

I am playing the waiting game at present as it six weeks until my  planned ferry trip to Spain. I could well be heading to France instead PROVIDING France doesn’t go the same way as Italy and Spain, and of course who is to say the U.K. won’t get into a similar position? 

Interesting times eh?

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

It is now all (not part) of Italy.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to Italy, due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and in line with various controls and restrictions imposed by the Italian authorities. British nationals in Italy should follow the advice of the Italian authorities. See Health

The Italian authorities have advised against travel for tourism purposes throughout Italy, and that tourists already on holiday in Italy should limit their movements to those necessary to return to the place where they live.

On 11 March, the Italian government announced new measures closing all non-essential business across Italy with immediate effect. All shops are closed apart from pharmacies and shops selling food and other basic necessities. Essential public services, transport, utilities, banks and postal services will remain active. All public gatherings, including religious ceremonies, funerals and sporting events remain suspended. Restaurants, bars, museums, cultural institutions, childcare facilities, schools and universities are closed, as are ski resorts.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

3 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

Exactly same post as yours of hours earlier - how did that happen?

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

37 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I had an email from Brittany Ferries last evening to say that all existing ferry bookings could, as a result of all the uncertainty be changed or rescheduled with no, or minimal cost. So they at least are being reasonable about it all. I have no idea how other operators are reacting.

Travel companies are between a rock and a hard place - they're being badly hit by reduce demand but can't afford to alienate potential customers.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

12 hours ago, rslsys said:

Going anyway, might give us the opportunity to import the virus back to Norfolk (currently no cases here) on our return.

Utter stupid and daft thing to say

Cheers

Keith

Edited by w44nty
added info

2013 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz  pulled by a Landrover Freelander 2 / VW Passat Estate 2.0 Blue Motion

1 hour ago, alan29 said:

We are the same. We are going to lose about £700 which we have actually paid towards sites and insurance and ferry deposits. If we wait we will have to pay some balances, but if we quit now well get nothing as the insurers don't cover it. Were watching events like hawks. I fear the worst as far as the cost is concerned. Never mind though, if we all keep ourselves well we'll be back next year to get cracking.

Ern

On 12/03/2020 at 21:12, MalH said:

Good time to stick to CLs methinks 

We pay a £25 deposit when booking a pitch with the C&CC however we are cancelling to stay on a CL rather.  Unfortunately it means losing the £25, but better than falling ill as both of us have underlying health issues.

21 hours ago, WispMan said:

Which countries are blocking us from travelling?

Please give facts and not conjecture.

After all these years you should have realised that Dave in a former life worked as a reporter for the Sun and Daily Mail.  LOL!  :lol:

BTW I think CT is infected as it coughs and wheezes for awhile before loading a post! :D

Edited by Durbanite
On 13/03/2020 at 08:56, moorgate said:

Yes, I'm afraid that a number of older contributors on here will sadly die.

Thanks for that! :blink:   As a serious contender for the No 1 spot in the forum's Age Stakes, you've really made my day.:)

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

The virus does seem to have affected bookings. I was looking at booking on the CAMH site yesterday and if you ignore Good Friday and Easter Saturday the availability is massive. I suspect most of us are looking at booking very late to make sure there is no problem, although we seem to keep getting windy weekends at the moment and that does not help.

Edited by Wildwood

We booked a CL near Much Wenlock for late April, unfortunately it looks like we are going to cancel, as part of the trip we were going to visit our old neighbours who are in  their late 70/80's, the husband had a stroke the end of last year. To add to all this the area has recently suffered from severe floods.

I have diabetes and scaring on my lungs so obviously have to be careful I could always delay until September, as regards warden on site, maybe only 1 member at a time with the wardens in the office?

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

We are just carrying on regardless. We usually go to Italy for a month in May, but if we can't go, so be it, we will bring forward our Chernobyl/Pripyat holiday pencilled in for next year to September.

We are recently back from Italy and as said, carry on regardless.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

3 hours ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

Surprised at your comment Gordy. Its far easier to access the more secluded areas with a MH or van conversion when wild camping.  Try that with  tug and van some areas are near impossible. I'm glad in a way . They should ban wild camping as far as I'm concerned.....

GAS

You wouldn't believe some of the places I have towed a caravan to - believe me I couldn't get our current MH anywhere near them. I have always said that if the outfit will fit down a lane, then so long as it's legal I'll get it there  somehow.

1 minute ago, KontikiKid said:

We are just carrying on regardless. We usually go to Italy for a month in May, but if we can't go, so be it, we will bring forward our Chernobyl/Pripyat holiday pencilled in for next year to September.

We are recently back from Italy and as said, carry on regardless.

Russ

That may be taken the wrong was Russ and imply you're not showing a responsible attitude but  have taken a similar approach myself, while respecting any restrictions imposed on me and taking sensible precautions.

We should not shut down our lives completely without good cause.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

5 minutes ago, Gordon said:

You wouldn't believe some of the places I have towed a caravan to - believe me I couldn't get our current MH anywhere near them. I have always said that if the outfit will fit down a lane, then so long as it's legal I'll get it there  somehow.

That may be taken the wrong was Russ and imply you're not showing a responsible attitude but  have taken a similar approach myself, while respecting any restrictions imposed on me and taking sensible precautions.

We should not shut down our lives completely without good cause.

...but maybe the possibility of your passing on the virus before your symptoms appear is good cause?

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

I think another issue are any of the clubs checking and asking people if they have been to Italy or other infected areas recently? 

Some of those and I stress "some", but not all, may be irresponsible motor home owners who only think of themselves as they tour around travelling from country to country.

On 12/03/2020 at 21:33, Ern said:

What insurance have you got? The virus is not covered by my Red Pennant policy. As I understand it, if you cancel a holiday today it is your personal decision as no one is stopping you from going. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I am in the same boat.

I got doctors letters saying it was unsafe due to our health conditions and not advisable .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

16 hours ago, rslsys said:

we'll put the 'van at the bottom of the garden and pretend we're away!

Did that last year, had a wonderful time.  :)

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.       I'm not paranoid, they ARE out to get me.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

• Gordon locked and unlocked this topic
  • Gordon locked this topic