FO advising Britons not to travel to Italy

I've had emails from the Foreign Office on travelling to Italy.  Up to this evening, its always not advisable to visit Northern Italy.  Just received an e-mail that its not advisable to travel to any part of Italy.  Good job I re-scheduled my city break to Naples, which I should have gone on Sunday, 15 March.  Now going on 13 September.  All museums and outdoor venues will be closed to the public.  Restaurants were advised to close by 18:00 hours.

35 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

I've had emails from the Foreign Office on travelling to Italy.  Up to this evening, its always not advisable to visit Northern Italy.  Just received an e-mail that its not advisable to travel to any part of Italy.  Good job I re-scheduled my city break to Naples, which I should have gone on Sunday, 15 March.  Now going on 13 September.  All museums and outdoor venues will be closed to the public.  Restaurants were advised to close by 18:00 hours.

This is good news for any body who has travel insurance, that is the normal threshold for them paying out.

Bad news for Italian hoteliers and bar/restaurant owners though.

The Happy Gnome - been caravanning for more years than I care to remember!

7 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

Restaurants were advised to close by 18:00 hours.

Is that because the virus only comes out at night - :)

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

"Lockdown" what does this media buzzword actually mean? Nobody is locked down, folk can still go about their business locally.

The media love words and phrases like this, "on the front line" is another favourite but this imaginary front line is never defined. It makes me chuckle.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

53 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

"Lockdown" what does this media buzzword actually mean? Nobody is locked down, folk can still go about their business locally.

The media love words and phrases like this, "on the front line" is another favourite but this imaginary front line is never defined. It makes me chuckle.

Hi Borussia,

If I had an Alexa, or similar, I might think you were listening when I said to my wife this morning that the use of the word 'lockdown' is maddening as its an American word that relates to the confining of prisoners in their cells and bears no relation to the current situation, as reportedly being experienced here or in mainland Europe.

Maybe we can start a new trend and all shout "quarantine" whenever we hear the L word?!

34 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

If I had an Alexa, or similar

I think I'd rather have Corona than allow an Alexa in my house! :rolleyes:

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

I too wonder about "lockdown".  Stupid terminology.  I went into Manchester city centre last whilst my car was being MOT'd, and I didn't see one person wearing a facemask.  Looking at photos on media/news sites, everyone and their grandmother seems to wear one in whatever city/town.  Sometimes, the media has a lot to answer for.  They are good in their own way, but mostly, not!:lol:

We are still hopeful of our April break. It's sad to see our friends in dire straights. One owns a campsite and she will have to open two or three weeks later than planned.

As soon as the borders are fully open, we are going. Not bothered if we cant get back though :)

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Should be travelling to Italy from Austria early June.  Just hoping sites are open and we are allowed in the country!  

Beginning to think of alternatives that skirt around Switzerland and on down to the Mediterranean but will hold fire for a while. 

It seems possible that if some areas have sites closed then there could well be a rush to find others in a different area!  

All fun and games and just for a lot of people feeling a bit dodgy at worst and a few, who were not only old but already ill, not getting through it. 

1 minute ago, AndersG said:

It will be over by June.

It may well be in Italy but as the UK govt. are trying to push our 'peak' to the summer we might face travel restrictions to other countries (depending on spread).

The real truth is we dont really know.

The Happy Gnome - been caravanning for more years than I care to remember!

That's the great thing about camping, and especially if you are going on speck, you can just change your itenary.  If its a package holiday, you are committed.  The very first time me and hubby went into Europe (and our first attempt at camping back in the mid-1980s), the only thing we booked was the ferry.  We planned our route, which was Holland, West Germany, Belgium and back into Holland - Tom wanted to visit his old army area, around Celle and Bergen.  I noted where the campsites were located by using Alan Rodgers Campsite Finder (a book) and the AA campsite finder (again, a book), no internet back then.  And we did it.  Although the only hiccup was when we were travelling to the Ruhr area where the dams are.  It was packed because of all the water sports, so had to keep going until we could find a site that we could get on.  It was part and parcel of adventure holiday, and I must admit, it was the best holiday we ever had.

17 hours ago, Squash said:

All fun and games and just for a lot of people feeling a bit dodgy at worst and a few, who were not only old but already ill, not getting through it. 

It's not fun and games for those who have died or their families! Show a little respect please.

Gordon (Admin)

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

12 minutes ago, Gordon said:

It's not fun and games for those who have died or their families! Show a little respect please.

Gordon (Admin)

Gordon, perhaps you could post the same comment in the “inappropriate jokes” thread?

John

6 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Gordon (Admin)

I agree but I think we all need to calm down.

The majority of deaths are, unfortunately, among the elderly with health issues who would have probably died as a result of 'normal flu' anyway.

To get things into perspective, during 2019 6,600 people died from influenza or as a result of complications brought on by influenza. The average deaths in the UK during the last few years from 'flu is over 10,000 per annum.

To date I believe we have 6 deaths, that number will increase over the next 3 -4 weeks together with the number of confirmed cases and then tail off as it is now doing in China.

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

17 minutes ago, The road toad said:

I agree but I think we all need to calm down.

The majority of deaths are, unfortunately, among the elderly with health issues

The whole point is (or should be) not how does it affect me directly but, if I pick up the infection, how does it affect others that I contact and thereby those that they contact. 

Government restrictions in Italy, for example, not only protect individuals but those that they subsequently encounter in effect 

Edited by Easy T

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

1 hour ago, Easy T said:

The whole point is (or should be) not how does it affect me directly but, if I pick up the infection, how does it affect others that I contact and thereby those that they contact. 

Government restrictions in Italy, for example, not only protect individuals but those that they subsequently encounter in effect 

Whilst that is true, fundamentally good hygiene would be sufficient to control the spread.

I saw something shared the other day that was something along the lines ‘we thought by 2020 we would all have flying cars, instead we are teaching people how to wash their hands properly’, too true

On 10/03/2020 at 06:59, Borussia 1900 said:

Can you add ' hero ' to your list Mr. B. ?

Footballer scoring a winning goal a hero, somebody singing a song a hero, someone who builds stage sets a hero  etc. 🤷‍♂️

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

53 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

Can you add ' hero ' to your list Mr. B. ?

Footballer scoring a winning goal a hero, somebody singing a song a hero, someone who builds stage sets a hero  etc. 🤷‍♂️

Add 'iconic', especially when applied to something that's still on the drawing board.

VW Passat Audi A4 + Ace Award Brightstar

Opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the author's own