Routes through central France to Spain

We drive from Monchengladbach in Germany to the Costa Brava through France every year. Our route is always through Luxembourg, then via Nancy along the A31 to Beaune, A6 to Lyon, A7 along the Rhone to Orange, hang a right on the A9 towards Perpignan and over the hill into Spain (approximately 1300 Km). I can do the route with my eyes shut we've done it that many times and to be honest I'm bored of it. This year, for a change I'm thinking about going a slightly different way, it is a little further but I'm not too concerned about that. We always stay twice overnight in France on the way. I'm thinking of heading off through Belgium, into France towards Troyes on the A26, then picking up the A77, A71 and A75 around Clermont Ferrand, joining the A9 at Beziers.

Is anyone familiar with this route through central France? Is it suitable for towing a large caravan? Any suggestions of nice sites not too far off the beaten track?

Thanks.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

This may help

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

A75 route is fine for caravans. We use it quite often.

A good overnight  in S France towards the end of the A75 is Camping Le Galier at St Alban sur Limagnole ( ACSI 2570)

In a word, yes, the route is suitable. Lorries, coaches and every man and his dog uses it. We use the A75 as it is toll free but after that, leave the motorways.

Cheers

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

5 hours ago, KontikiKid said:

We use the A75 as it is toll free but after that, leave the motorways.

Except for the Millau viaduct.  The toll for a vehicle towing a caravan could be eye-watering. THIS site gives you the vehicle categories and toll charges.

It is worth planning to stop the night in Millau so you leave before the wonderful viaduct and get great views of it.  The next day you rejoin the other side of the valley.  There are several excellent sites beside the river in Millau.  The saving almost pays for your night stop and it is a lovely area.  

Calais - Rouen -Chartre - Orleans - Clermomt Ferrand - Severac le Chateaux - Beziers - Perpignan - La Jonquera

45 minutes ago, burstneraddict said:

It is worth planning to stop the night in Millau so you leave before the wonderful viaduct and get great views of it.  The next day you rejoin the other side of the valley.  There are several excellent sites beside the river in Millau.  The saving almost pays for your night stop and it is a lovely area.  

Le Rivage we stay at, or the municipal at Severac le Chateaux, both in ACSI

Les

8 hours ago, bubble2015 said:

We like the little municipal site at Lupian just off the A9, SW of Montpellier.

and us, we stay every year for a week before heading for Catalonia, don't know about this year though !!

Les

If you head off through Belgium you will miss the opportunity to fill up with the cheapest fuel in Europe in Luxembourg!

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

10 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Calais - Rouen -Chartre - Orleans - Clermomt Ferrand - Severac le Chateaux - Beziers - Perpignan - La Jonquera

Le Rivage we stay at, or the municipal at Severac le Chateaux, both in ACSI

I'm setting off in Germany, Calais isn't en-route :)

14 minutes ago, The road toad said:

If you head off through Belgium you will miss the opportunity to fill up with the cheapest fuel in Europe in Luxembourg!

Agreed but I'm loaded ..................lol

Thanks for the suggestions guys

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

11 hours ago, burstneraddict said:

image.png

I totally agree that it's well worth spending some time in the area, and the Tarn is a great place for canoeing!

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.