Jump to content

Fitting Thule Omnivent with fan to Madrid. UIII


Recommended Posts

I asked my dealer for a price to fit the roof extractor and remove the Heki from above the cooker.  roof fan

 

They quoted £386 plus £75 fitting, I've sourced and bought one (£160) from online.  I would like fit myself, (not worried about warranty).

 

I notice my fuse box has a fuse marked roof fan??  Fitting of the vent looks to be quite easy, the only problem I envisage is getting the wires to the fan.  I've removed my old Heki trim and can't see any wires or conduit. Would it be OK/feasible to drill horizontally through the roof to get the wires to the side wall and then down to the fuse box.

 

 

 

Grass growing, Mercedes E320 CDI driving, Bailey tugging caravanner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it’s anything like my Swift the wiring was already in place. My dealer fitted the Omnivent in less than an hour. Just needed to fish the wires across to the microwave where the wires from the fuse box were terminated. 

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites

My dealer replaced a small Heki with an omnivent about 3 months ago - total price £200 🙂

 

John

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

My dealer replaced a small Heki with an omnivent about 3 months ago - total price £200 🙂

 

John

What van do you have and are any wires or trunking visible.

Grass growing, Mercedes E320 CDI driving, Bailey tugging caravanner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

We've got a U3 and there aren't any light's actually in the ceiling except in the bathroom so it's quite a long way to try and drill through to get to the side of the van, even trying to pick up a feed from one of the kitchen downlighters means you'll only be able to use the fan with the lights switched on.

 

One way of doing it would be to use some D trunking glued to the ceiling which could look fairly neat. I dunno which u3 you've got but then you'll have to get the wiring down the wall (or behind the fridge (which should be sealed at the top and bottom so probably not everso easy) to the fuse box. 

 

Bailey do put some of their wiring inside the insulated corner trims between the van walls and roof, so you might be able to get a feed from there.  You could ask your dealer or even Bailey if they could suggest how to do it

 

Although it's a bit of a bodge  you could put an inline fuse and connect it to the output of the solar controller (which is connected to the battery via a fuse).

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have an Omni vent on our caravan and it is not used much and if we changed the caravan I would not bother getting one again but it was part of the dealer special we bought. After a while the cover can stick when trying to open it. There are topics on here about it but when you fit it it might pay to put a bit of grease on the corner opposite the opening switch where the cover touches the frame. To help ours open I use a 1.6mm welding rod which can be pushed through the vent mesh to help the cover up in that corner whilst turning the switch.

Link to post
Share on other sites

fitted a fair few to unicorns over the years, none of which have any wiring in place, so we drill through the roof cavity to take to the nearest 12v supply, to make sure there are no bits of trunking/molding running across the roof looking untidy, bit more time consuming, but much better job in the end.

Edited by Caravantech

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, matelodave said:

 

 

We've got a U3 and there aren't any light's actually in the ceiling except in the bathroom so it's quite a long way to try and drill through to get to the side of the van, even trying to pick up a feed from one of the kitchen downlighters means you'll only be able to use the fan with the lights switched on.

 

One way of doing it would be to use some D trunking glued to the ceiling which could look fairly neat. I dunno which u3 you've got but then you'll have to get the wiring down the wall (or behind the fridge (which should be sealed at the top and bottom so probably not everso easy) to the fuse box. 

 

Bailey do put some of their wiring inside the insulated corner trims between the van walls and roof, so you might be able to get a feed from there.  You could ask your dealer or even Bailey if they could suggest how to do it

 

Although it's a bit of a bodge  you could put an inline fuse and connect it to the output of the solar controller (which is connected to the battery via a fuse).

 

Thanks, I've removed the microwave plus all the roof coving  along the right side of my 2016 Madrid.  There are no wires anywhere, I also removed trims in cupboards and wardrobes.  I've also removed the fuse box but it's impossible to tell which wires are from the fan fuse (10amp). 

 

I think drilling through the roof vents wooden frame and then towards the microwave would be the shortest route. I don't want trunking across the roof/ceiling.

 

10 minutes ago, Caravantech said:

fitted a fair few to unicorns over the years, none of which have any wiring in place, so we drill through the roof cavity to take to the nearest 12v supply, to make sure there are no bits of trunking/molding running across the roof looking untidy, bit more time consuming, but much better job in the end.

 

Ah thanks, so you've actually done this. once I'm through the wooden frame how easy is it to keep level and where should I come out with the wires, I take it that it's not possible to get to the very edge of the van, perhaps I could message you for advice.  What width of mastic tape should I use.

Thanks Gary

Grass growing, Mercedes E320 CDI driving, Bailey tugging caravanner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, G-a-r-y said:

What van do you have and are any wires or trunking visible.


As per my profile - it’s a 2020 Elddis Avante 554.

 

I don’t know about wiring, but I seem to remember hearing that all new vans are pre-wired for possible ‘extras’. There’s certainly no trunking visible, and no nearby roof-light.

 

John.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, G-a-r-y said:

Ah thanks, so you've actually done this. once I'm through the wooden frame how easy is it to keep level and where should I come out with the wires, I take it that it's not possible to get to the very edge of the van, perhaps I could message you for advice.  What width of mastic tape should I use.

Thanks Gary

 

I haven't personally but our workshop have (the royal we!) I check with the workshop guys tomorrow and give you the run down of the exact procedure of how they do it :)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to clarify and help others, because Bailey Unicorn III do not have ceiling lights, all lighting is perimeter LED's.  As such there in no roof trunking/conduit.  On the fuse box  No7 (marked fan) from the PCB does not have a wire in the plug/loom, so there is no pre-wiring for a roof fan.

 

I ran a wire from that block connector/connection to the roof area where I then drilled through the composite skylight frame and used a piece of 8mm copper pipe which had been heated.  This pushed through the insulation to a point where I could make a hole in the fiberglass roof to insert the wires.

 

This is how the dealers do it/advised, but they usually connect into the 10amp lighting circuit.

Grass growing, Mercedes E320 CDI driving, Bailey tugging caravanner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had Omnivents on previous caravans but I am seriously thinking about having a Maxxair fitted to my motorhome because of the cooling properties  https://www.roadpro.co.uk/catalogue/03b-maxxair-maxxfan-roof-vents

 

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

 

Caravan Travels

Link to post
Share on other sites

I installed a Maxxair Maxxfan in my 2015 U3 Cadiz nearly 3 years ago and its been great.  I replaced the Mini Heiki with it and managed to adapt the Maxxair to re-use the Heiki blinds.(see photo below).  To get the wiring from the fan to the side of the van I used the heated 8mm copper tube  method  that G-a-r-y  used in an earlier post.  I found that the copper tube came out through the bonded insulation into the hollow space between roof and sidewall. By removing the solar charger panel at the back of the cupboard  above the tall fridge I had access to the 12 volt  socket wiring .  I tied the fan wiring  into the 12 volt socket white and yellow wires with a connector block.

  The Maxxair fan is supposed to be fixed to the roof of the van with lots of screws. I didn't like this idea so borrowed this method of fitting.   The fan mounting was strapped to the ceiling with stainless steel bands and bonded to the roof with Sikaflex 512 caravan adhesive. 

 

See link.https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/caravans/articles/practical-advice/diy-installing-an-extractor-fan

 

 

1659340198_maxxfan1copy.thumb.jpg.c26b41204bc7bc9f39566655579ad731.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a super helpful post. I might just try that myself.  Although £300+ is a lot of money, it's so much better than lugging around a full aircon fitment and will be invaluable down in south of France (when Covid 19 ever dies down!) Ordinary fans moving air around just don't cut it! Many thanks TintentTerry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...