Sign in to follow this  
jeremyc

Are they not all bad?

Morning,

Looking about there seem to be a large number of used lunar van, but then there seem to be lots of negative comments about lunar vans, as the the layout we'd like is twin single beds there seem to be more lunar vans of that layout, but are they all bad, are they still built in a conventional method i.e wood inside side panels, or have they gone to composite materials, i know there are good and bad every where, I know there has been resent issues with company going into administration, and subsequently bought out.  

Looking at your question you are possibly looking at newer lunars because your asking about recent construction methods.

No they are not all bad, they did go through a period of time where maybe they let quality slip but if you buy a newer one then there should be no more of an issue than any other make and yes they still have wood inside and screwed together

Just be aware that you will only get a limited warranty with the dealer, some one else will have to update you if you get any from lunar themselves on newer caravans.

Will you be happy to buy a caravan where perhaps parts or furniture are difficult to impossible to get if you have a problem, and where you might have to cover the cost yourself for repair. How much would a back panel cost you if it develops cracks or a new sunroof.

As Danuk says- and we agree with you-they are really nice looking caravans inside and out and because of the trouble they are in REALLY great value-I wouldn't hesistate-we had an Avondale and they went bust years ago -well stopped production-since caravans are a kit of parts there was no issue in getting spares very cheaply-windows and panels may be different issues but they can be repaired. Yes Lunar have come bottom of the satisfaction surveys for a while BUT there is little difference between best and worst. Similarly if you look, just as in cars the companies who sell fewest caravans always do better than the bulk sellers-interesting coincidence-we don't let it stop us if we like the product.  Adria and Coachman do best this year-but sell very few caravans-Bailey seem to have bucked the trend and did very well.

My 2013 Lunar Clubman had a very long list of issues which took the first two years of ownership to sort out but no issues since then - in my experience, no different to the Bailey which preceded it.

3 hours ago, jeremyc said:

i know there are good and bad every where, I know there has been resent issues with company going into administration, and subsequently bought out.  

As a point of accuracy, they were not bought out! The company went into liquidation and the assets (including the right to use the name) were bought by a new company.  Lunar Caravans ltd ceased to exist and Lunar Automotive ltd was formed. All warranties and obligations ceased to exist, although the new company has stated that, under certain specific circumstances, it will honour some of the old warranties.

No assumptions about spares availability, or quality of new vans (when/if they start full production)should be made.

we used to have a lunar, it was okay, I liked the layout but my OH wasn't as keen so we changed it before the 3 years were up , good thing too as the company went bust soon after. Not a lot went wrong, we had to have new bed struts and the fridge master board  failed. If buying a second hand lunar, you may hear about the Core Construction, I emailed lunar at the time and there was no Core construction, it related to the way they wanted to treat the customers or some such thing, just a marketing ploy.  I wouldn't buy a second hand lunar , mainly because the warantees are neither here nor there. 

There are plenty of decent Lunar caravans out there. They did have a problem with the seal between the front panel and the roof and some problems with delamination of the floor, but any with those problems should have been dealt with under warranty but you need to check. The finish though can definitely be a bit slap dash and could be improved but all makes seem to have this problem.

In practice until this year though they have normally come second bottom to Elddis in the magazines survey and I do wonder if the higher dis satisfaction rate has more to do with people now having problems getting Lunar specific parts, because they now have to find the original supplier. I gather from the dealer who sold us ours this is a problem. The loss of many peoples guarantee might also affect their opinion on this make. I am not sure therefore what you can read into the latest survey.

They should still be a reasonable buy though but you need a discount for the potential problems you might have. We did buy an Avondale just before they went bust  and had no problems but there is always some risk which you have to assess for yourself.

Lunar vans are no worse than Bailey or Swift for water ingress.  If you like the van and the layout suits you go for it.  

• Like 1

I bought a brand new Lunar Delta ti in 2011 and had no issues with it in the 5 years I owned it. Lovely caravan and well built.

I bought a 2019 Ariva in the period between owners. So far, I am impressed with it, far better than a Elddis that I had recently. That one had a cracked rear panel which was not covered by warranty as over 12 months old.

I`ve had three Lunars , Ariva, Stellar and currently a Lunar CK and very few issues, Ariva -none, Stellar - exchanged microwave due overheating, Clubman replacement awning light and one blind all done under warranty. A couple of minor DIY jobs but nothing has fallen apart. One thing that Lunars always provided was very good seating which doesn't seem to flatten and is always comfortable. If buying a second hand van of any make satisfy yourself there is no damp, insisting on seeing the damp readings being taken if necessary,  up to 20% is usually considered OK  but if any readings are close to 20% be suspicious!

We have had two Lunars and still have our 2016 Delta and we have been delighted with both.

We had stiff window blinds replaced under warranty and a problem with the gauge for the water tank, and I've done various diy fixits but there have been absolutely no major problems.

We love the caravan and will be keeping it for years.

We have a 2017 quasar based ultima 674 dealer special.

It has had no issues and just had its 3rd service without a blemish apart from tyres dating at nearly 5 years old-obviously not a Lunar part.

This service was carried out by Robinsons the supplying dealer as required by Lunar.

It is now out of warranty with Lunar.

Like any caravan it is a lottery!

If we decide to keep it we will be looking at a 3rd party warranty.

21 hours ago, madasmad said:

I bought a brand new Lunar Delta ti in 2011 and had no issues with it in the 5 years I owned it. Lovely caravan and well built.

Wish we could have said the same for our 2011 Delta TI.  We had major damp around the front windows at over 60%.  Then there was an ongoing issue with damp around the cassette door.  This caused the screws to rust and the rust then reacted with the aluminium skin causing pit holes.  The the aluminium skirt start to part company from the body.  The list goes on.  Previously we had Lunars and very little issues, but the 2011 was a disaster.

56 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Wish we could have said the same for our 2011 Delta TI.  We had major damp around the front windows at over 60%.  Then there was an ongoing issue with damp around the cassette door.  This caused the screws to rust and the rust then reacted with the aluminium skin causing pit holes.  The the aluminium skirt start to part company from the body.  The list goes on.  Previously we had Lunars and very little issues, but the 2011 was a disaster.

Were these damp issues not picked up at the annual services? Surely all this should have been repaired under warranty? For the screws to rust and pit the aluminium suggests it was leaking for sometime.

I did hear there was an issue with sealing around the cassette door on the 2011 models. Our Lunar dealer knew this and they made special checks to make good or confirm that your van was not one of the problem ones.

5 minutes ago, madasmad said:

Were these damp issues not picked up at the annual services? Surely all this should have been repaired under warranty? For the screws to rust and pit the aluminium suggests it was leaking for sometime.

I did hear there was an issue with sealing around the cassette door on the 2011 models. Our Lunar dealer knew this and they made special checks to make good or confirm that your van was not one of the problem ones.

Damp was not picked up at first service.  AWS picked up damp in front of caravan and around cassette at second service.  After that it was back at the dealer nearly every 6 months for the damp around the cassette door.  Gave up and traded it in. 

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Damp was not picked up at first service.  AWS picked up damp in front of caravan and around cassette at second service.  After that it was back at the dealer nearly every 6 months for the damp around the cassette door.  Gave up and traded it in. 

Sorry to hear that and a shame that the dealer was unable to fix the damp issues. I assume that you bought from a different dealer next time?

18 hours ago, madasmad said:

Sorry to hear that and a shame that the dealer was unable to fix the damp issues. I assume that you bought from a different dealer next time?

Absolutely and unfortunately the brand new caravan a Buccaneer was a load of rubbish and spent more time in the dealer than with us.  Rejected it and bought another Buccaneer from a different dealer and we are very happy with it. 

Goes to show that two people can buy the identical caravan, one will be very happy and the other will have a load of issues.  A lot depends on the dealer.

I am afraid you are right. If you look on the various forums you will find similar tales of woe with almost all makes.