13 hours ago, Les Medes said:

On Patios and paths I use Hyperchloride, £12 for 25 Litres, mix 5 to 1 very economical and works a treat, a local farmer put me onto it some years ago 

Do you mean hypochlorite?  Sodium hypochlorite is bleach and  is a dangerous, corrosive substance.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2020 at 08:16, Les Medes said:

Gordon, It's a similar product to what I use  "Rhino Goo"  spray on hose off, stubborn dirt does need a light brushing, I have been using it for years with great results

Got some Rhino Goo today it no longer says Caravans on label, supplier says it is the same stuff in the bottle as when it did say Caravans on label.

5 hours ago, David 38 said:

Got some Rhino Goo today it no longer says Caravans on label, supplier says it is the same stuff in the bottle as when it did say Caravans on label.

Let us know how you get on with it

10 hours ago, beejay said:

Do you mean hypochlorite?  Sodium hypochlorite is bleach and  is a dangerous, corrosive substance.

I think you are right BJ, I will check the barrel in the morning and report back

Posted (edited)
On 13/03/2020 at 11:36, beejay said:

It is commonly sold as a patio cleaner.  A lot of commonly encountered chemicals found and used around the house and garden are ‘dangerous’ (Injurious, destructive, corrosive etc) if used inappropriately including bleach and bleach based products.

We still buy them (and use them according to the instructions supplied) without ill effect.

Sodium hypochlorite is most often encountered as a pale greenish-yellow dilute solution commonly known as liquid bleach or simply bleach, a household chemical widely used (since the 18th century) as a disinfectant or a bleaching agent.

The compound in solution is unstable and easily decomposes, liberating chlorine, which is the active principle of such products. Indeed, sodium hypochlorite is the oldest and still most important chlorine-based bleach.

Edited by ReggiePerrin
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Let us know how you get on with it

I think you are right BJ, I will check the barrel in the morning and report back

Checked and you are correct it is Hyperchlorite, I apologise for making a silly mistake 

1 hour ago, Les Medes said:

Checked and you are correct it is Hyperchlorite, I apologise for making a silly mistake 

True, but the systematic name used by chemists is sodium chlorate(1), and has been since, I believe, 1963.

But the common name persists for this and many other compounds. 

9 hours ago, CliveB said:

True, but the systematic name used by chemists is sodium chlorate(1), and has been since, I believe, 1963.

I buy mine in 25 litre drums from a Farmers Co-op for about £14, Hyperchlorite  is what it says on the drum

10 hours ago, CliveB said:

Sodium chlorate is banned for use in a weedkiller. Sodium hyperchlorite, as Bejay has said above is quite simply common bleach and is found in Domestos and even in Milton.

Used by litres / gallons in industries such as paper making and textile bleaching and dyeing.

3 hours ago, DeeTee said:

Sodium chlorate is banned for use in a weedkiller. Sodium hyperchlorite, as Bejay has said above is quite simply common bleach and is found in Domestos and even in Milton.

Used by litres / gallons in industries such as paper making and textile bleaching and dyeing.

There are chemically 3 "sodium chlorates"

Sodium chlorate(I) = hypochlorite (bleach)

Sodium chlorate(V) = chlorate (weedkiller)

Sodium chlorate(VII) = perchlorate (propellants)

Hence the systematic naming systems used by chemists.

Sorry I took this thread off topic.

On 08/03/2020 at 22:06, Les Medes said:

Buy yourself a spray bottle of Rhino Goo, spray on , leave for five minutes  hose off, simples

Hose not Jet Wash

Les

Do you have a link on where this can be purchased from?   Only see the big 5 litre online

Cheers 

Trel

Ebay.

7 hours ago, LifelessTrel said:

Les

Do you have a link on where this can be purchased from?   Only see the big 5 litre online

Cheers 

Trel

No, but try  the web site   Demon Tweaks that is the company I last bought it from