Sign in to follow this  
robertB

Heki rooflight

Hi I have my sons ace globestar on the drive for prep for the season. It has 2 heki rooflights and he says the front one on the slope leaked on one occasion when it was wet and windy but not since.  When I was hosing the roof off quite a lot of water leaked into the van from the front corner of the front one.    I have no experience of these rooflights but I can see no obvious reason for  a leak after having my head through and comparing with the rear one. (seal looks OK)

Is this a common thing with these rooflights I thought the water was getting under the perspex

I think when the roof lights are closed they still provide ventilation so it is possible you have used the hose with too much force and hence water has gone in through the gaps.

I would agree with Paul. The outer cover does not seal to the roof, to ensure adequate ventilation even when the rooflight is 'closed'. Using a hose could easily force water into the van.

Are these the Heki roof-lights with the metal handle to open? If so then as others have said it is possible water has pushed up under the clear dome and in but do have a look at the plastic frame attached to the roof of the caravan carefully. These are known to crack which will let in water. Also the seal to the roof had gone on a Heki on our previous caravan - I had it removed, cleaned up thoroughly and refitted with new bedding /sealant.

thanks for the replies   I don't think the frame is cracked because of the amount of water it would have to be huge and really obvious.

I think that I must have been a bit free with the hose and I was spraying it almost horizontally and the slope of the roof probably wasn't helping.

I wonder if the conditions just happened to be wrong when it leaked that once for my son.

We will just have to keep an eye on it although I must say that you have all put my mind at rest about it

thanks