Sign in to follow this  
ailsaj

Damp in Coachman Amara 480/2

Posted (edited)

Hi there - just had the annual service on our Coachman Amara 480/2. Our Service Engineer found an elevated damp reading in the corner of  the overhead cupboard - left-hand side  - No outward indication of any problems and externally all the seals look perfect. The meter showed a reading of 43 which quickly reduced down to 13 as he moved it down the wall and outside of the cupboard. At the moment his advice is to put a crystal moisture trap near the offending corner of the cupboard  and seal the area off with a plastic bag (to stop the trap drawing in any other moisture from the rest of the caravan). He then says to monitor it with our own meter readings every week and check for any improvement. Damp is always a worry so we will have no hesitation in addressing the problem for a full repair if proved necessary but has anyone else out there had a similar problem - and if so what did you do?

For info: We keep the caravan on our drive and, when not in use it has a fitted cover. We use cat-litter as damp absorbers - one tub at each end of the caravan. We also leave all top cupboard doors open once the caravan is under cover and not in use.

Edited by Gordon
Enlarged the font

Given the amount of rain we have had recently , then the couple of days of sun, I expect the high reading is due to condensation in that corner.

Hi Breacon - thanks. That sounds encouraging and has

put the Panic Gremlins in their place! The damp meter arrived courtesy of Amazon and we reckon we'll monitor the guilty corner for the rest of this year and see what the summer months bring - hopefully sun! I do feel that lack of use over the winter might have a lot to do with it.

Even if it's raining, opening a window or two can allow the air to circulate sufficiently to evaporate surface condensation on the wall, especially if a fan can be placed to move the air across the inside wall surface where the damp reading is.

Let us know how you get on.

Gordon.

If it is in the drive then can you connect up t the electricity  or use the gas to warm it through and see what happens. On balance if it is under warranty I would write to the dealer and let them know the situation saying you want to monitor it for the time being but for the purpose of the warranty are they happy with this or d they want to see it and check for themselves.

My point is that if you do not tell them now and give them the opportunity to check it, then if there is a problem, they cannot then say you have made the matter worse by not letting them do an early repair.

The service engineer's advice was sound. If the area dries out and then stays dry during spring/ summer without any special treatment you have nothing to worry about. If however it refuses to dry out or the damp comes back then repair is needed.

With it being on your drive, it is easy to plug in a hair dryer and warm the cupboard for a few minutes and any surface condensation will then be gone. If after a few minutes or more, the damp reading is still there then I think it unlikely to be condensation. In any case, I would have a look at the roof joints and check all the sealant is still in good condition.

On 04/03/2020 at 08:38, ailsaj said:

Damp is always a worry so we will have no hesitation in addressing the problem for a full repair if proved necessary but has anyone else out there had a similar problem - and if so what did you do?

When you say 'left hand side' do you mean looking forward (ie door side)?  Our service engineer identified a small patch of damp with similar readings in the locker above the kitchen in our 2015 Coachman last April.   It was where the wall met the roof.  Hadn't seen any visible sign or noticed any musty smell.  Went into the supplying dealer to investigate and it was quickly identified as a problem associated with water getting in via the awning rail.   Warranty claim was made and the rectification work done last October.  If damp gets into the wallboard it needs to be replaced - and in this location it required a substantial element of the kitchen to be stripped out to do the job properly.  I was worried how that would pan out with the van which, in all other respects, was/is in pristine condition.  I really shouldn't have worried - I collected it 4 days later and the interior was pristine.  Everything had been removed and replaced expertly.  Externally a new awning rail had been fitted and new sealant applied very neatly and effectively.  Better than new!  So assuming you have a warranty I would say don't worry about having it sorted.

On 07/03/2020 at 10:00, Gordon said:

Even if it's raining, opening a window or two can allow the air to circulate sufficiently to evaporate surface condensation on the wall, especially if a fan can be placed to move the air across the inside wall surface where the damp reading is.

Let us know how you get on.

Gordon.

Hi Gordon - Just got back into the forum and catching up on helpful comments received re our damp problem. We bought a damp meter courtesy of Amazon and have been keeping an eye on the guilty corner. There has been great improvement. I emptied the cupboard and put a fan heater into the corner for an hour and the meter reading had dropped from 30 to 5 so I reckon (hope) it was condensation caused over the winter months and lack of ventilation. (The caravan is always kept under cover (breathable) during the winter) We would normally be off on our travels at this time of year so the caravan would be used and aired but of course it's still under wraps. Strange times eh! Hope you and yours are all safe and healthy.

regards

Ailsa