Tomtom Camper, do the lifetime updates include the camper stuff?

I am looking to replace my rather ancient Tom Tom that’s running the Camper map set (and the maps are now 5 years out of date) I know I can buy the camper maps for it but they are somewhat expensive, last only a year, and the satnav IS getting on in years now, so I figure a new unit, with lifetime map updates is probably the best way to proceed.

I see that the new Tomtom camper comes with “Free lifetime map updates” My query is does that update include an update of all the “extra” stuff (like campsites, MH parking etc)  or is it just the normal map stuff.

I would appreciate if any replies are restricted to actual knowledge of the situation from anyone with first hand experience and who knows, rather than speculation such as “It should do” or “I think so” 

Thanks

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Andy, I know that with Garmin, Life Time means just that so I would of thought that if TT are saying that then it must be so. Could you not just phone their customer services and ask the question?

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Hi Mr P, I have had and still have several Tom Toms though not any camper ones so I cant reply on the specifics of your question.

But regarding the lifetime map updates, a bit misleading, the lifetime update isn't for ownership, it is for the lifetime TomTom determine they will support  the model.

In theory you could purchase a new one that was halfway through its initial design life of say 10 years and find that in 5 years it is no longer supported.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Silversurf said:

Hi Mr P, I have had and still have several Tom Toms though not any camper ones so I cant reply on the specifics of your question.

But regarding the lifetime map updates, a bit misleading, the lifetime update isn't for ownership, it is for the lifetime TomTom determine they will support  the model.

In theory you could purchase a new one that was halfway through its initial design life of say 10 years and find that in 5 years it is no longer supported.

I have had no such problem with Garmin, my Grandson has my old Nuvi (13 years old) and I just done a map update for last weekend for Western Europe and all downloaded in 1.5 Hrs.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

I am aware of the “lifetime” situation and my current Tomtom must be 15+ years old and I am still getting map updates for it. The latest Tomtom Camper has only been around for a couple of years so, in theory, it should still be supported for a good few years to come.

My specific query was whether the camping stuff also gets updated or is it just underlying mapping? 

I thought I would see if anyone on here knew as I know trying to get through to TT can sometimes be a bit hit and miss. I might just give them a try anyway.

Many thanks to all who have responded, but if anyone knows the answer to my query I would appreciate an answer to that specific question.

Andy

I'm glad to hear you still get Tom Tom updates after so long, my experience is somewhat different and more akin to Silversurf, though it does relate to HGV Sat Nav where we purchased new XL HGV Sat Navs for our fleet, not a cheap investment only to find three years later that the devices were no longer supported and that the new map updates would not be compatible, making our machines obsolete. The response from Tom Tom was a 50.00 voucher off new units. 

I like Tom Tom, I still rate it as the best in terms of routing, traffic info and arrival time estimates and find it much better with lane guidance especially where one junction leads straight on to the next, it will tell you at the first junction which lane you need in order to be in the correct lane for the second, something Garmin Dezl falls down on, and changing lane in an artic halfway round a roundabout is no fun. 

We switched to Sygic, an android app which removes the need to buy standalone units as all our drivers carry an android device for our tracking and signing software and though it takes some getting used to after tom tom we have never looked back. So much so that I now use Sygic Caravan at home. Unlike the tom tom apps you can add user defined poi files. One of the girls in the office was given the task of creating POI files for all of our regular stops which she said was complicated at first but she soon got used to, but one of the things i really like is the number of poi's - or places as Sygic calls them which are predefined and can be downloaded. They are travel and tourism biased, good for leisure use such as caravanning and motor homes. 

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

Just spoken with TT customer support.

On the Camper satnav the lifetime map updates are exactly that, it’s just the maps that get updated nothing else.

At least I now know, and hopefully if anyone else has that query they will find this thread. 

Thanks for all all of your help and, like a good few others, I also find the TT very intuitive to use AND the instructions are vastly superior to the likes of Garmin or Nuevo  insomuch as that at complicated junctions, with TT, you get something along the lines of...

“At the roundabout take the second exit, then turn right and stay in the right hand lane”  

whereas the likes of Garmin will wait until you have completed one manoeuvre before you get the next instruction which, in the situation above, ain’t a lot of use if you are towing! 

Now got to find the best best deal on a TT Go Camper. 

Andy

Last time I changed mine, after much searching, the cheapest was from Halfords of all places but only because they had a part ex. deal on at the time.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

Last time I changed mine, after much searching, the cheapest was from Halfords of all places but only because they had a part ex. deal on at the time.

When I acquired a TomTom GO 6200 Halfords had an offer reducing the price to £264 from a RRP of circa £350

TT meaning of Life Time is not the same as mine, they stopped updating mine.

Was fortunate as at the same time I changed the car which came with built in SatNav.

Present car as free upgrades for 5 years from purchase rather glad of a straight forward situation, would not trust TT again.

When time comes to change car again I will make sure how I stand as I think car maker is fitting TT SatNavs.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

39 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Present car as free upgrades for 5 years from purchase rather glad of a straight forward situation, would not trust TT again.

When time comes to change car again I will make sure how I stand as I think car maker is fitting TT SatNavs.

My current car has a built in TT satnav BUT it won’t run the TT Camper map set even though the car is less than half the age of my portable TT that WILL. Bizarre or what??

Andy 

Replacing a Tomtom aged 15+ years you will find there is a big difference in the way you connect the new one to your PC at home when you need to add POIs (places) and itineraries (routes).

Instead of Tomtom Home you use a website called Tomtom Mydrive:

- You can import POI files to Mydrive from your PC but you can't see the individual POIs in Mydrive; you can only see the individual POIs on the Tomtom device, after they have been exported from Mydrive.

- You can create and save routes in Mydrive but can only use places you have yourself entered into Mydrive, not any POIs you have imported as mentioned above.

- The transfer of POI files and routes from Mydrive to the Tomtom device is via the 2G network, so there is quite a delay.

To add to the confusion there is an app on the PC called Mydrive Connect, which is used to download and update maps.

Happy navigating :)

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Land Rover is now back towing.

Andy.

My post from a month or so ago, I got the TT Professional where I can choose between car truck or something in-between.

It comes with truck stops and coach parking places POI.

I then downloaded the POI from Archie's for UK and European campsites and they all sit in their own POI folders (all of Europe file size was too big for TT in one hit.)

I only mention this as it was £200 at Argos with free and lifetime updates for maps, speed cameras and TT live services.

Might be worth a look, it certainly routes differently when truck is selected with my rig dimensions.

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Just spoken with TT customer support.

On the Camper satnav the lifetime map updates are exactly that, it’s just the maps that get updated nothing else.

At least I now know, and hopefully if anyone else has that query they will find this thread. 

Thanks for all all of your help and, like a good few others, I also find the TT very intuitive to use AND the instructions are vastly superior to the likes of Garmin or Nuevo  insomuch as that at complicated junctions, with TT, you get something along the lines of...

“At the roundabout take the second exit, then turn right and stay in the right hand lane”  

whereas the likes of Garmin will wait until you have completed one manoeuvre before you get the next instruction which, in the situation above, ain’t a lot of use if you are towing! 

Andy

We had the latest TT Camper unit and we updated all the other stuff like Archies separately.  Unfortunately it went faulty and locked up within 3 weeks of purchase so caused us a few grey hairs travelling from Lyme Regis to Weymouth along the coastal road with a  twin axle caravan.  We got a refund and went back to using our 2015 unit.  Having said that when it did work, it was very easy to use and updated automatically.

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We had the latest TT Camper unit and we updated all the other stuff like Archies separately.  Unfortunately it went faulty and locked up within 3 weeks of purchase so caused us a few grey hairs travelling from Lyme Regis to Weymouth along the coastal road with a  twin axle caravan.  We got a refund and went back to using our 2015 unit.  Having said that when it did work, it was very easy to use and updated automatically.

Only issue on that road is Portesham hill and the sharp bend in the village. No real problem towing a caravan. I used to take a 52 seater coach along it frequently.

Andy

5 hours ago, Jiffy176 said:

Andy.

My post from a month or so ago, I got the TT Professional where I can choose between car truck or something in-between.

It comes with truck stops and coach parking places POI.

I then downloaded the POI from Archie's for UK and European campsites and they all sit in their own POI folders (all of Europe file size was too big for TT in one hit.)

I only mention this as it was £200 at Argos with free and lifetime updates for maps, speed cameras and TT live services.

Might be worth a look, it certainly routes differently when truck is selected with my rig dimensions.

Cheers Jiffy, I will investigate that as an option, best deal I can find for the TT Camper is £289.

Andy

14 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Only issue on that road is Portesham hill and the sharp bend in the village. No real problem towing a caravan. I used to take a 52 seater coach along it frequently.

Andy

Mostly okay until you came to a village and then got stuck because a car tried to push in although you entered the narrow section first. Very nice scenery on that road with nice viewpoints where you can stop.  :D

• 3 months later...

I assume with the TT live with in built sim I will be able to search for a destination ie campsite and then go to it.

Nope!

The “Live” feature is just for “Live updates” delays and road closures etc. So if there is a hold up on your route you will be offered an alternative.

All of the mapping data is held on the unit itself. If you have download a set of POI’s to it then you can navigate to them but you cannot search for anything via “Live” 

Andy

13 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

All of the mapping data is held on the unit itself. If you have download a set of POI’s to it then you can navigate to them but you cannot search for anything via “Live” 

My Tom Tom already had the major sites loaded. I usually put in the post code and then ask for nearby campsite. I rarely use more than one CL a year so it works fine for me

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

1 minute ago, Easy T said:

My Tom Tom already had the major sites loaded. I usually put in the post code and then ask for nearby campsite. I rarely use more than one CL a year so it works fine for me

Yeeees, but the question being asked was could he search for a campsite via Tomtom Live, which you cannot.

Do pay attention boy :D

On 03/03/2020 at 13:20, Mr Plodd said:

My current car has a built in TT satnav BUT it won’t run the TT Camper map set even though the car is less than half the age of my portable TT that WILL. Bizarre or what??

Andy 

blimey, how old is your Mazda? They moved from TT over 4 years ago!

9 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

blimey, how old is your Mazda? They moved from TT over 4 years ago!

It WAS 5 just years old and one of the very last to be fitted with TT but I changed it for a 3 year old one 3 days before the lockdown (same car just newer)

I reckon the satnav is now Garmin, nothing like as intuitive to use as TT and it has less features :angry:

Anyway five years isn’t that old ! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

It WAS 5 just years old and one of the very last to be fitted with TT but I changed it for a 3 year old one 3 days before the lockdown (same car just newer)

I reckon the satnav is now Garmin, nothing like as intuitive to use as TT and it has less features :angry:

Anyway five years isn’t that old ! 

my first CX was the TT, the last two Mazda’s own system. I don’t think they’re Garmin, but they do use the Navteq map system. The TT was a far better system.

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Yeeees, but the question being asked was could he search for a campsite via Tomtom Live, which you cannot.

Do pay attention boy :D

My answer was, in my case, there is no need to my lad

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES