Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BM Bairn

Power Issues

Recommended Posts

I am a relative newbie so be gentle please :blink:

 

The ‘van has been on mains power all week outside the house.

When we came home today I thought I’ll put the heating on as well as the fridge to test them.

All running off mains power. When I left it, it seems to be working ok.

Decided to go out there, after 3 or 4 hours, to see how it was going.

Not only was there no heating, there was an error showing (W 45 H) and the van was running off the leisure battery plus the electrical box under the seat had no lights showing.

Nothing had tripped and power in the garage where it was plugged into was still on.

I tried switching the mains off then back on but no luck.

I’m off to read the manuals but not sure where to start.

As it’s too far for the cable we got with the van on collection, it’s an extension lead from the garage then into the caravan mains power lead into the van. Could it be that that’s the issue? I bought a 35m cable today but won’t be able to try it until tomorrow now.

All help gratefully received.

Edited by BM Bairn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm assuming that you have a Sargent power unit under the offside seat. On the top is a black push button that switches the unit on. Give it a wizz, it may explain why you have no power?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys.

Truma W45H code suggests loss of 240V power and also refers to overheating.

The Sargent unit was on when I left it, bit totally dead when I returned. Switches to it were all still at the ‘on’ position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some extension leads have a thermal cut-out - which can operate at high current if not fully unwound - if so there should be a reset button - guess how I found out!

  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Some extension leads have a thermal cut-out - which can operate at high current if not fully unwound - if so there should be a reset button - guess how I found out!

Mine does have that, thanks. I’m hoping then that if I change to the new longer cable, doing away with the extension lead all together, it’ll all work ok in the morning. Here’s hoping anyway.

Thanks for all the assistance, I’ll report back tomorrow 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, went out (during a snow shower, but just wanted to get to the bottom of this) and looked up to the new longer cable I bought yesterday.

It does away with the extension lead all together whilst at home.

Anyway, Sargent unit back on and power, heating and fridge all running.

Will check it intermittently through the day though.

Appreciate the help folks 👍🏻

  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you say an "extension lead" do  you mean a pukka 15A caravan lead with round plug, or a normal domestic one?

Domestic 13A leads are not waterproof and cheap ones are often rated at 5 or 10 Amps with fuse to match! Caravan really should have a 13A lead and fuse to match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was the extension lead partially coiled? Worth checking that it still works properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stevan said:

When you say an "extension lead" do  you mean a pukka 15A caravan lead with round plug, or a normal domestic one?

Domestic 13A leads are not waterproof and cheap ones are often rated at 5 or 10 Amps with fuse to match! Caravan really should have a 13A lead and fuse to match.

It was a domestic one. Can’t recall what Amps, will check later (although unlikely it’ll be used for this again). Both ends of the extension weren’t exposed to external elements, only the unwound cable was outside.

As you’ll see, electrics ain’t my strong point so thanks for all help.

9 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Was the extension lead partially coiled? Worth checking that it still works properly.


It was still partially coiled so will check it later, many thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BM Bairn said:

It was still partially coiled so will check it later, many thanks

An extension lead should always be fully unwound when in use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brecon said:

An extension lead should always be fully unwound when in use.


Lesson(s) learned :blink:

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Brecon said:

An extension lead should always be fully unwound when in use.

 

The number of times you see on sites owners connect their EHU the nicely coil the cable up in nice tight coil then put it under the caravan so it is not a trip hazard and looks tidy  if the coil catches fire it spreads to the caravan and possibly with them inside .

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

 

The number of times you see on sites owners connect their EHU the nicely coil the cable up in nice tight coil then put it under the caravan so it is not a trip hazard and looks tidy  if the coil catches fire it spreads to the caravan and possibly with them inside .

 

Dave

Whilst not condoning it, has that ever actually happened though.

I get to investigate a couple of caravans and a couple of motorhomes each year on average. Usually those affected by fires are caused by cooking equipment,  setting fire to tea towels, candles, one was barbeque coals wrapped up under the van to cool down. Another a few weeks ago was possibly brakes binding.

 

Generally there is a human involved, relaxing outside and has "never"  had a drink.

I've never yet had an electrical fire.

  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

 

The number of times you see on sites owners connect their EHU the nicely coil the cable up in nice tight coil then put it under the caravan so it is not a trip hazard and looks tidy  if the coil catches fire it spreads to the caravan and possibly with them inside .

 

Dave

That just wont happen, its really coils on a drum with no ventilation that have the major issue, ones coiled loosely are fine. In any event the MCB's would trip before the cable start a towering inferno situation.

9 minutes ago, The Happy Gnome said:

Not quite......

The lead was in the awning rather than on the ground and the report states ""Extension leads should be used with caution - the flex of a coiled extension lead should be pulled out completely before appliances are used" which suggests it was a cassette type lead that wasnt fully uncoiled. 

 

Loose coils laid on the ground wont cause a fire, they may heat up but the MCB's will trip before flames start.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

That just wont happen, its really coils on a drum with no ventilation that have the major issue, ones coiled loosely are fine. In any event the MCB's would trip before the cable start a towering inferno situation.

Not quite......

The lead was in the awning rather than on the ground and the report states ""Extension leads should be used with caution - the flex of a coiled extension lead should be pulled out completely before appliances are used" which suggests it was a cassette type lead that wasnt fully uncoiled. 

 

Loose coils laid on the ground wont cause a fire, they may heat up but the MCB's will trip before flames start.
 

 

I was answering a question about a tightly coiled lead, which to me is the same thing as it being in the cassette. Either way It's just not worth the risk IMHO and it's not exactly a difficult job to ensure the lead is fully deployed when on site. It's easy to 'lose' the surplus lead without coiling it at all.

 

Especially as it's clear from the link I posted you absolutely cannot rely on any circuit breakers tripping before any fire takes hold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fully unwind your extension cable or else!          :o

 

      John.

IMG_1167.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I've seen one like that and it was only running a freezer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Towtug said:

 

I'm familiar with this one. I think the final report was inconclusive leaning towards blaming a faulty appliance. 

 

So the final report was completed after the inquest?

 

How common is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
4 hours ago, The Happy Gnome said:

 

I was answering a question about a tightly coiled lead, which to me is the same thing as it being in the cassette. Either way It's just not worth the risk IMHO and it's not exactly a difficult job to ensure the lead is fully deployed when on site. It's easy to 'lose' the surplus lead without coiling it at all.

 

Especially as it's clear from the link I posted you absolutely cannot rely on any circuit breakers tripping before any fire takes hold.

I read it that the uncoiled lead was placed under the caravan, youre probably right, a cassette one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...