Sign in to follow this  
colin h

Elddis Crusader

Being a relative newbie to vans i see the manual states that "do not leave blinds down for prolonged periods as it damages the spring loading"

On the storage site i reckon over 70% of vans have the blinds down, so what is the consensus of opinion.

Curtains drawn or blinds down?

The older roller type can be damaged by leaving them pulled down. In this case draw the curtains. The later pleated blinds don’t have springs so can be left down all the time but make sure you leave a gap at the top to stop heat build up between blind and window. 

Blinds up and curtains drawn except for 2 windows that have blinds only . Keeps sun off furnishings

The crusader is a 2019 model but the manual still says about the springs!

WE leave them down-reckon adjusting the springs is better than uv damage to the curtains and upholstery-the springs simply adjust by tightening!

19 hours ago, colin h said:

The crusader is a 2019 model but the manual still says about the springs!

We have an Elddis Buccaneer and have the blinds halfway up.  There are no springs only draw strings.  The main reason for halfway up is that the bottom has the proper sunscreen and the top has the fly screen however it allows heat to escape.  A heat build up can cause the windows to distort and leak. 

Don't worry about what other people do.  Just use common sense and what is best for you after taking advice to help with your decision.

I leave all blinds open but cover the furnishings with old bed sheets to prevent them from suffering from discolouration due to sunlight.

Whenever this question crops up, the replies can cause confusion … because some blinds come down from the top to close, whilst others come up from the bottom to close !  So when the advice is to leave the blind up to stop heat build-up, it appears wrong for those who have blinds that raise up to close. And vice versa with regard to the advice for keeping the sun off the upholstery.

Best to use the terms open or closed, rather than up or down.

John

We leave the blinds up as a security measure, it also allows any warmth from the sun to put some warmth into the caravan in winter. If thieves look in then they will see nothing worth stealing. Fading upholstery has never been a problem, and I feel that potential problem is overstated.

It depends on your priorities though.

We leave the blinds up and draw the curtains. When the van is in use we never close the curtains anyway. I would prefer to keep the blinds in good condition as we use them.