Sign in to follow this  
robertB

12 v problem

Hi everyone   Got my sons 2006 ace supreme globestar on the drive and it is plugged into the garage. the 240v system is fine and the meter says the battery is fully charged.   I have the faulty flush pump out for repair but I can't get any life from the 12v system at all, not even the lights, all the switches are in the correct position (according to my son who is working away)  It seems the system worked fine when van was last used.   I feel that I must be missing something here.

Anyone got any ideas?     I seem to have tried everything

There could be a hidden isolator switch.

There will also normally be a somewhat hidden inline fuse in the main battery lead, but this is unlikely to be the problem if it is an original equipment meter you used to check the battery.

If there is a switch marked "car-off-van" it should be in the "van" position.

It is worth checking all the 12v fuses.

Have you got the manuals?  https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/owners/handbooks   The 2006 Ace one has the 12V circuit diagrams, wiring colours and fuse assignments.

The ESM 75 control panel page 46 of the generic 2006 manual, and the main RCD/MCB fuse panel has the Car/Off/Van 3-way switch referred to (as NE 2006 CWS on the circuit diagram, and as ESM2004 power supply unit in the generic manual).  So a search in the cupboards and wardrobe for that is on the cards.

If nothing obvious there, a multimeter and a bit of methodical fault finding would be in order, tracing where the 12V from the battery and/or charger is (is not) getting to?

Thanks for that rodders  I now have the circuit diagrams printed off.

Removed battery today and Autool tester says "good battery, recharge"  but it will not accept a charge and  the multimeter says 12.3 volts and to my mind that means sulphated so new battery required  as he has had van 5 years and I don't remember him ever changing it. Also the neg quick connector dropped off when I touched it and both connectors are badly corroded. Thankfully I am in the position of being able to substitute the battery with the brand new one on our van before I buy one.  Can't do a thing in this rotten weather though (it snowed on me today, stuff that) 

Test guage in van went to green though which has thrown me a bit but still hopeful that it's only the battery

Not been on here long    but don't folk respond quickly!! 

I would guess that the poor battery terminals are your problem! They MUST be clean, corrosion free and tight. The cable retaining screws must also be tight, often when a mover has been fitted the screws are not screwed tight enough.

If in doubt fit new battery terminals, cheap and worthwhile. 

Over 90% of ALL electric problems are due to poor connections,  this can be anything from a switch turned off, chafing cables, blown fuses, severed cable, loose connections, etc. etc.

Not even going to try to clean up the rusty and green quick connectors got 2 new ones coming tomorrow

A nearly ***** ( old battery ) causes sulphation on the terminals which is what you have . I think you need both !

You were right James, needed both.  Fitted new 110amp battery and new quick release clamps today and all to the good.   Just something as simple as that!  A 5 year old battery so I should have known  but my autool 360 battery tester is still insisting that it is a good battery even though when taken off charge the voltage dropped from 13v to 12.3v in half an hour.

you live and learn  (well not always)

thanks all 

• Like 1