Sign in to follow this  
yorkyguy

Audio link from TV shelf to Panasonic Radio

Hi all,

Thinking about trying to provide an audio link between the TV/Antennae/12v interface and the Radio in our new Commodore. Our TV audio is awful as most are. Did a temporary hook up into the radio aux. What a transformation. I think I can fish a 3.5mm stereo cable down from the radio, around the door and up to the TV point but would like to drill out the plastic socket surround to add a 3,5mm audio socket to connect to the TV. Any help on removing the face of the plug surround without causing damage?

Cheers

We were doing well until you got to the bit about 'drilling out......' I think you either need to explain it in more detail or attach a picture.

Rather than running a cable, if the radio has Bluetooth why not get a Bluetooth transmitter and connect it to the TV headphone output? If it hasn't got Bluetooth get a Bluetooth transmitter and receiver (often the same unit but differently configured.). The only thing that is vitally important is to got one that is specified a LOW LATENCY or you may find the sound is a few seconds behind the TV picture - and believe me there is nothing more annoying. (Been there, done that, got the..... etc etc) Both Bluetooth devices are readily available on eBay and they are surprisingly cheap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodentop said:

We were doing well until you got to the bit about 'drilling out......' I think you either need to explain it in more detail or attach a picture.

Rather than running a cable, if the radio has Bluetooth why not get a Bluetooth transmitter and connect it to the TV headphone output? If it hasn't got Bluetooth get a Bluetooth transmitter and receiver (often the same unit but differently configured.). The only thing that is vitally important is to got one that is specified a LOW LATENCY or you may find the sound is a few seconds behind the TV picture - and believe me there is nothing more annoying. (Been there, done that, got the..... etc etc) Both Bluetooth devices are readily available on eBay and they are surprisingly cheap.

Agree with that. We used a Bluetooth sender plugged into the TV.  It was slightly latent but didnt annoy us,. We used a Bose Mini Sound Link speaker which gives superb sound right next to where we sit, so ideal for late evenings when you need to consider the neighbours. By the way we dumped the appalling radio which most caravan makers seem to buy from the Pound Shop and use a little Pure portable with Blue tooth. We use the phone with Bluetooth for our music collection. Were well happy with it all. No spaghetti in our caravan!

Edited by Ern

Many thanks ern and woodentop.

Never thought about Bluetooth connectivity. Ouch!

The TV has a jack output but isn't bluetooth but the radio is! Can you send a link or suggestion for a Bluetooth sender and I'll dump the spaghetti!!

cheers

I've got one of these which sends our TV output to a bluetooth speaker - works pretty well although you might find a bit of lip-synch delay. Some people notice it and some dont bother.

We can also power it from the USB socket on the back of the TV so it sits tucked out of the way.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Portable-Transmission-Black/dp/B00Q2EGQQU

We have an Avtex Tv and use a 3.5 m cable routed around the door and into the radio. The sound is so much better. Cost is £3.58 from eBay. no audio sync issues either.

From the pictures the Elddis caravan uses these Berker switches etc.,.  https://www.spares2you.co.uk/berker-sockets-switches/

So the covers will just unclip (prise them off) ... but I'm not sure that you'll be able to add another cable/socket on the existing part easily?  But they do a blanking plate to match if you add an extra module?

Edited by Rodders53

8 hours ago, yorkyguy said:

Many thanks ern and woodentop.

Never thought about Bluetooth connectivity. Ouch!

The TV has a jack output but isn't bluetooth but the radio is! Can you send a link or suggestion for a Bluetooth sender and I'll dump the spaghetti!!

cheers

Go on fleabay and search for 'low latency bluetooth sender' and then sit back and scroll - there's hundreds!

I’m looking at this solution too, I have a tv and the usual car radio in the caravan, neither are Bluetooth, would I need 2 low latency adapters or just a low latency transmitter and regular receiver (I have one already)?

The latency is usually in the sender, so why not get a sender only and see if it works? If there is a sync problem then go back to the same supplier and get another/Rx unit and you're away.

Only one problem with using the built-in BT on the car radio is that you might be asked to confirm a number to make sure the whole connection is yours and that can be a bit difficult with magic boxes. Also remember that whenever the caravan power is turned off - either by the main switch or by habitation when towing - the radio will likely forget the BT configuration and you will have to start over - which can be a bit of a (kickable spherical object)-ache!

We use a small portable speaker plugged in to the Avtex TV by a 3.5mm jack, the sound is so much better.

2 hours ago, SuperRed said:

We use a small portable speaker plugged in to the Avtex TV by a 3.5mm jack, the sound is so much better.

The catch is that (1) headphones for which the socket is purposed are likely to be much higher impedence than a speaker - 32 ohms (32R) or more against 4R or 8R for the speaker and (2) headphones will only need maybe 50mW to deafen you but a speaker being much less efficient may need four or five times that if not more just to hear it.

The risk of using a speaker as described is that you might overheat and blow the TV amp.

Most of the portable speakers nowadays have their own built in amplifiers rather than being just a bog standard speaker although it's worth checking.

In this and our previous Coachmans, I have bought a 10 meter length of audio cable about £5.00 and routed it around the van hiding it or drilling a small hole conspicuously in cupboards, to the radio and plugged into the front audio socket. Giving a nice quality sound.   

Does the tv not have an audio output, usually red and white rca sockets? if so then if you can route a cable that is the best way to go. If you have space to add an additional socket then Berker make a socket with 3.5mm stereo socket and a USB port. They are easy to fit, use a holesaw and power drill to make a round hole to fit the socket body, pass the wires through and connect them the the socket screws to the panel and the cover clips on. if you are not confident then a workshop should do it for you. you can get a twin rca to 3.5mm socket at most electrical stores, buy a decent quality one.

I personally wouldn't go down the blue tooth route unless you are prepared to buy a good one or are not upset by a lipsync delay. Even so called low latency Chinese transmitters delay audio signals by up to 200ms, that's a fifth of a second which doesn't sound much and maybe some people get used to it but not me, it bugs me immensely. 

It's a new van, you are presumably going to have it for a few years, do the job properly if you can. 

going down this route would also give you an easily accessible aux input for your radio to connect such things as mobile phones or mp3 players and a usb socket to charge from