Sign in to follow this  
CathyB

Oven

Hi thanks for the add, I’ve looking for abit if advice, last year I noticed that my oven wasn’t working correctly in the van, put a fresh pizza in meant to cook 20 takes 45 an still not done right. So I’ve decided that because I am always on a site with ehu that I want to just put in an electric one. Would this be possible an do I could I just buy an standard electric one from the likes of Homebase to put in it. Tia 

Your existing oven seems to just have a fault, probably the thermostat.

You may have difficulty finding an electric oven that fits.

An electric oven needs plenty of electricity and not much, if any, would be left of a 13A ehu for other purposes.

I would agree, get your oven checked; clearly not working properly.  If you really have oodles of space perhaps a Halogen oven?  This will take less electric and they do quite a good job.

nanamel

Our van oven doesn't cook as good as or home one. We always adjust the cooking time

I find it helps to heat the oven up well before putting any food in it, keep it set on max temp but it still takes longer to cook than at home but you get used to it. Lidl/Aldi sell small table top electric ovens that could be used in a caravan, I got this advice from a fellow caravanner who used one all the time, it also saves using gas but I have not tried it.

Edited by Paul1957

We always test the oven with an oven thermometer on any new caravan to find out whether the  actual temperature is what the dial says it is. Our present oven is a Thetford Aspire 2  with degrees C shown but the knob position is unclear, so we sorted that out at the same time.  Also to find out the warm up time (ours is 20mins). One you know these things you how to operate it correctly. Our is pretty reliable when used correctly. If the thermostat setting is wrong or not consistent then there is a fault, so get it fixed - this is the cheapest way to solve the problem.  If you just abandon the gas oven its a waste of space, weight, and money. 

Edited by Ern

The biggest mistake some caravanners make is expecting to be able to transpose their home lifestyle to being away in the caravan.

Shower times, oven performance, fridge/freezer performance,  etc etc.

Edited by The Happy Gnome

20 minutes ago, The Happy Gnome said:

The biggest mistake some caravanners make is expecting to be able to transpose their home lifestyle to being away in the caravan.

Shower times, oven performance, fridge/freezer performance,  etc etc.

Oven temperature should still be about the same, size and warm up times are likely to differ though.

• I do not understand 1

8 hours ago, Stevan said:

Oven temperature should still be about the same, size and warm up times are likely to differ though.

Correct.

A domestic integrated oven will be made to a standard size and be 600mm wide. Can't see a tourer having enough space for one of these. They take about 8 amps as well. Probably best to try to sort existing gas one.