Sign in to follow this  
paulthomas

Alde antifreeze (new)

I note that my new, soon to be collecte, Crusader is advertised as having new "automotive standard glycol G13 antifreeze coolant."

I can't really see what advantages this confers compared with the "old" fluid.

Is it just hype?

Edited by paulthomas

17 minutes ago, paulthomas said:

I note that my new, soon to be collecte, Crusader is advertised as having new "automotive standard glycol G13 antifreeze coolant."

I can't really see what advantages this confers compared with the "old" fluid.

Is it just hype?

For a long time Alde specified G12++ antifreeze, and when G13 came along, they changed their spec to that.

More important to check is whether the fluid is blue or red.

For many years caravan manufacturers used red with a 2 year life but most have recently started using blue with a 5 year life.

I thought it was the other way around and that the blue was 2 year and the red 5 year?

• I agree completely 2

16 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I thought it was the other way around and that the blue was 2 year and the red 5 year?

Correct - frome Alde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znf7EOJnvLY

Alde is new to me, only had it for 6 months so still learning.

Did spot a couple of items on YouTube recently although the one about different colours etc. is a few years old.

https://youtu.be/XwrFfntcQoc

Can't remember what colour our is.

Edited by Griff
Old link deleted.

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

Did spot a couple of items on YouTube recently although the one about different colours etc. is a few years old.

My link is Oct 2018

10 minutes ago, Easy T said:

My link is Oct 2018

Thanks, deleted my older link.

Yes, thanks guys, wrong way round -whoops!

Recently changed mine from blue to red too.

Senior moment and all that.

Edited by hp100425ev

Colour isn't an absolute for anti-freeze - there's a common convention but it's not actually part of the spec - the label needs to be read carefully with replacement fluid.

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 1

13 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Colour isn't an absolute for anti-freeze - there's a common convention but it's not actually part of the spec - the label needs to be read carefully with replacement fluid.

Same applies to gas.

Is it possible to change the fluid yourself. If so how. My dealer (Salop Leisure) quote £235. Aws engineer £135. Guess who wins. Dealer says change to red at 2 years. Aws engineer says test it and if ok change at 3 years.

Yes you tube it; plenty on there-not easy but not impossible from my research-make sure you replace it with the 5 year stuff-far better! 

I would not change it at 3 years WJ-the testing cannot detect loss of the anticorrosives-get it replaced at 2 years with the 5 year stuff. 

• I agree completely 1

1 hour ago, william john said:

Is it possible to change the fluid yourself......

Someone watching it being done here.

Hello all. Attached is the PDF release that was sent to all caravan dealers and service agents last year.

We made the announcement here on CaravanTalk in July.

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/137861-5-year-fluid-standard-in-all-alde-equipped-uk-caravans/

The caravan manufacturers should only have Alde-approved antifreeze on stock, but to be doubly certain you can check your new caravan by going to the expansion tank (in the wardrobe or cupboard usually). The colour should be distinctly magenta. Not blue.

Here's a video on how to check your heating fluid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znf7EOJnvLY

g13.pdf

Edited by Alde UK
Linkage
  • Thanks 2

Had my Alde fluid changed  (by mobile) yesterday. Was very surprised to see the blue colour even though it was 5 year type & graded '13' (confirmed on container). The original 2 year fluid was also blue!

When I changed the fluid myself in my last 'van to 5 year type that was red!

Very confusing, don't think the colour is any guide at all these days LOL.

4 minutes ago, micktheshed said:

Had my Alde fluid changed  (by mobile) yesterday. Was very surprised to see the blue colour even though it was 5 year type & graded '13' (confirmed on container). The original 2 year fluid was also blue!

If you read Alde’s post above it should not be blue - maybe your mobile guy used a compatible solution and not the original Alde product?

2 hours ago, william john said:

Dealer says change to red at 2 years. Aws engineer says test it and if ok change at 3 years.

When we bought first caravan with Alde in 2012 the recommendation was to change at 3 years. When we bought present van in 2018 the recommendation was to change at two years

22 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

If you read Alde’s post above it should not be blue - maybe your mobile guy used a compatible solution and not the original Alde product?

That's right, yes: Alde-approved antifreeze products are all the same magenta colour.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, micktheshed said:

Whilst it might have "13" in any guise on the container, that is meaningless unless it was VW TL-774-J specification ( G13).

"Caveat emptor ".

Being blue says it all !!!!!

As long as it is g13 it's fine! Cheaper from any car parts supplier.

• Like 1
  • I do not understand 1

Puzzles me why Alde state to change the fluid at 5 years yet there's no requirement to change the fluid in an Audi Q7 service schedule. Is this the same for others?

12 minutes ago, limecc said:

Puzzles me why Alde state to change the fluid at 5 years yet there's no requirement to change the fluid in an Audi Q7 service schedule. Is this the same for others?

Because  a car engine and a heating boiler are not the same and the anticorrosion  additive may deteriorate and damage your boiler which is very expensive to replace. 

Edited by oldboy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, oldboy said:

Because  a car engine and a heating boiler are not the same and the anticorrosion  additive may deteriorate and damage your boiler which is very expensive to replace. 

I think the mods stepped in here and deleted a few posts that were seemingly off-topic. Please do the same if you think not relevant.

The point I would like to make is that a car engine is arguably a harsher place and changing the coolant is not part of my service schedule. Why bother ever changing the Alde fluid? All is needed is to periodically test the specific gravity to make sure it is still at the required strength?

Testing the specific gravity of the anti freeze would likely let you know if it can freeze but not the strength of the anti corrosion additives which may be used up. Car service schedules where a long life anti freeze is used may say to check the strength of the anti freeze after so many years. Maybe after more years to replace it but by then the car will be out of warranty so if the engine has corroded there will not be any claims.

8 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

Testing the specific gravity of the anti freeze would likely let you know if it can freeze but not the strength of the anti corrosion additives which may be used up. Car service schedules where a long life anti freeze is used may say to check the strength of the anti freeze after so many years. Maybe after more years to replace it but by then the car will be out of warranty so if the engine has corroded there will not be any claims.

It's cynical to suggest that out of warranty affects the recommendation as many other car maintenance requirements go way beyond the warranty limits.