Sign in to follow this  
The Happy Gnome

5 year old leisure battery.

Our Platinum 110amph  leisure battery bought new in 2015 is showing no signs of failing.

Its been on two vans both of which had/have solar. We always pitch on sites with mains.

It powers the mover no problem, even when the van has been left 2 or 3  or 4 weeks in storage this being the max, even through winter.

Im reluctant to change it but I dont want it to fail at some crucial moment.

Thoughts from all very welcome.

You found a good one!

If it ain't broke don't try and fix it, any replacement could be worse than the original.

• I agree completely 1

In my 60 years experience of lead/acid batteries they have never failed me on a lovely sunny summers day.

They always fail when it’s raining freezing and blowing a gale.

Five years is a good life for a mover battery I would replace it.

6 minutes ago, ancell said:

Five years is a good life for a mover battery I would replace it.

I think so too.

I also think you are correct.

My 110Ah Numax is now 8 years old ànd was showing no sign of any problems until my tracker ran it down to 9v or thereabouts.

Thought it's had it now but stuck it on my CTEK anyway on recondition mode and it eventually came up to  13.3v.

Put it back on the caravan and the solar panel seems to be holding it to 12.9 - 13.1v..

Still wondering if it's going to need replacing now though.

If you want to test it, remove it from the van fully charged and apply a known load. A single 21w bulb would be ideal, and discharge it by one third of its rated capacity. Disconnect and check the voltage with a multimeter.

Anything better than 12.3v and the battery is fine, between 12.0v and 12.3v and it is below par but still has some usable life left, but below 12.0v and it is on its last legs.

110Ah battery at 21w needs about 18 hours for this.

Then recharge.

8 hours ago, The Happy Gnome said:

Our Platinum 110amph  leisure battery bought new in 2015 is showing no signs of failing.

Its been on two vans both of which had/have solar. We always pitch on sites with mains.

It powers the mover no problem, even when the van has been left 2 or 3  or 4 weeks in storage this being the max, even through winter.

Im reluctant to change it but I dont want it to fail at some crucial moment.

Thoughts from all very welcome.

Nicely run-in - if you don't use it for deep discharge it will last much longer - I've had car batteries last 15 years when used as a leisure battery but always on EHU so never deep discharged.

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

Nicely run-in - if you don't use it for deep discharge it will last much longer - I've had car batteries last 15 years when used as a leisure battery but always on EHU so never deep discharged.

I have had batteries on cars that have achieved the same lifespan despite being left on the drives unused whilst we are off on our tours. Only replaced when they seemed reluctant on our after 6 or 7 weeks.

I charge my battery up then leave to stand say 24 hours then read voltage and get a reading over 12V up to 12.75V,

If I get 12.75V that's going to show me 100% capacity, yes that's going to be an almost new battery, so the voltage I get will be less, if say 12.5 up that's great and as Stevan said less than 12.3V not that good.

If after a few days it still at this 12.5+V after not being used I feel happy.

OK thanks to everybody who took the time to reply.

I'm now inclined to see it go through this year or even longer.

I've got the 'van at home in a couple of weeks so I will probably take the battery out and give it a test.

Thanks again.

Our battery which is at least six years old possibly more has just failed. I can only date it by knowing which caravan it was fitted in, so cannot be sure of the age. It is a mater of balance as to when to replace it. You just have to weigh up the inconvenience of it failing on site as against the possibility of it having a few more years life in it.

It would be a hassle to change a battery on site, but it could be done easily enough. Possibly the one problem could be if the motor mover does not have enough power, but you can still use the car to reverse it onto the pitch or someone will help push..