Sign in to follow this  
Ross Walters

Largest water heater out there.

Hi guys, just wondering what's the largest water heater you've come across? Most I can find are 10 - 12 liters

Thanks,

Ross.

If you have a nosey round in the marine world you’ll find hot water tanks or calorifiers as they’re known which are designed to used the heat of the engine to heat the water, but they also have back up electric elements - some of which are in the 12-too big in litres ranges, and in the 1-2kw range for electric so perfectly usable.

if you’ve got the room it’s a fairly easy job, just make sure you build in some simple means of draining it so you’re not sticking another 20kg of weight on the nose unnecessarily 

7 hours ago, Ross Walters said:

Hi guys, just wondering what's the largest water heater you've come across? Most I can find are 10 - 12 liters

Thanks,

Ross.

Water heater or hot water storage? Theres an easy way to create more hot water compared to installing an additional water heater.

I guess hot water storage, I'm planning on getting a bigger water tank, hot water storage and adding a inline water booster to increase water pressure, but without running out of water quickly

Truma do an extra boiler which pre-heats the water before it goes into the main boiler so you have about 28 litres hot water.  Cost will be about £500.  Remember adding equipment reduces the payload and in this case will also affect your nose weight.

We have an Alde Flow, the red bit, which came standard with our model.

Constant hot water, apparently.

20200207_093114.thumb.png.84460bf0af09619125acecfad4752afe.png

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

We have an Alde Flow, the red bit, which came standard with our model.

Constant hot water, apparently.

20200207_093114.thumb.png.84460bf0af09619125acecfad4752afe.png

I don't think the Swift Abbey has ALDE heating?  What you have is the ALDE Continuous hot water system which costs about £80 to install.  WE are thinking about one for our caravan as 9 litres of hot water is just not enough unless you have the patience to wait until the water heats up again!  They are brilliant on fully serviced pitches.

On 27/02/2020 at 04:31, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Water heater or hot water storage? Theres an easy way to create more hot water compared to installing an additional water heater.

How'd you do this mate. 

which costs about £80 to install. 

That's £800 - there is a 0 missing:-)

With a family  to shower I can see that being useful, but otherwise an expensive luxury!

The Alde system has 'boost' setting. It defeats the heating when used (to max the heat going into the water) and raises the temp to 70C so more cold used to get the temperature usable at the shower head. I think the real reason for it being there is to kill bugs (Legionaires disease anyone?). Just put it on half an hour or so before showering and use gas AND electric for a quicker result.

Jim

Posted (edited)

When I shower at home I don't leave the water running continuously.  This saves a lot of (hot) water, and I thought everyone else did the same.

Run the shower until wet - switch it off. Apply shampoo and gel  and then rinse off.

I've always done this but I'm surprised how many people just leave the shower running while they soap up.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

I posted a rough diagram earlier but it seems to have disappeared?
image.thumb.png.e9a78f8641636c71d3d863265ac35367.png
The one way valve isnt always needed but theyre only £2.50 or thereabouts.  The pump was £40 on ebay, the tank I found one on ebay to start with at £20 or so and then had a bespoke one made, the dimensions I wanted to fit in my van. Insulated around the outside initially with polystyrene sheet and then after I made a wooden housing and filled the gap with expanding foam. You may need to add a drain valve from low point of the tank of the cold water inlet for winter storage.

• Like 1

For most road vehicles with an Alde 3020 Compact installation, the Alde Flow will allow continuous hot water provided electric heating and gas heating are available.

For canal boats that spend a lot of time cruising, so no 230 V electric power (a bit like off-grid camping), they tend to use a calorifier plumbed into the engine, the Alde engine heat exchanger, and the Alde boiler. These dual coil marine calorifiers go up to about 60 litres of stored water. Once the boat is connected to 230 V electric again, the calorifier can then act like an Alde Flow.

Here is link to a diagram:

http://www.moosewerks.co.uk/downloads/alde_3020_install_boats.pdf#page=4

• Thanks 1