Sign in to follow this  
kelper

Roadside assistance

My Skoda assistance runs out in May.  To extend by two years would cost £155.  Can anyone living north of Inverness recommend an alternative?  I'm retired, so I don't need home start.

The AA do the Skoda service.  I don't need to watch their van on its way to me as this could be four hours of tedium!

I don't need cover to include the caravan although it would be a bonus.

I live along the coast to the East of Inverness and for the past few years have had the CMC Mayday cover so that the van was also covered when I was towing.  The second family car was also covered for about £120 for both.  However, I have no practical experience of how long they would take for a call out in this part of the world.  I suspect it would be how long to drive from Inverness but you can never tell.

I had a problem with my car after arriving at the Black Isle, phoned Mayday and explained the problem, back brake making grinding noises, and I suggested that if they sent a mechanic rather than a driver he could probably fix it.

He arrived within the hour, even though I had said there was no rush, and soon had the rear disc and brake drum off to find the handbrake mechanism loose in the drum, he put it all back together and it was fine.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mayday generally gets an excellent report and we have used it for many years. Have called them out twice, once near Oban, and the service was excellent.

As IanV9  says, if you break down and you think its repairable at the road side, specify a Mechanic not a Driver

I'm with Britannia via Nationwide bank, what I've found over the years is most of the companies send out a local garage agent and this same agent can be working for several companies so when you change you might well find they do not have to do a 4 hours journey like companies with their own people.

49 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

As IanV9  says, if you break down and you think its repairable at the road side, specify a Mechanic not a Driver

Most breakdown companies are reluctant to accept self-diagnosis from the owner - AA/RAC specifically won't authorise flat-bed recovery until a patrol has been out to "assess" the situation - at busy times this can cause huge delays in getting the recovery started

11 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Most breakdown companies are reluctant to accept self-diagnosis from the owner - AA/RAC specifically won't authorise flat-bed recovery until a patrol has been out to "assess" the situation - at busy times this can cause huge delays in getting the recovery started

I agree with you on that BG, I was confirming what IanV8 said in relation to Mayday as I was asked by the Mayday operator if I thought that my problem could be repaired at the Roadside, many years ago I was a member of the  RAC when they were using motorbikes and sidecars and saluted you if you had the RAC badge, the stuff they carried in that sidecar was unbelievable  

Lucas "Price of Darkness" supplied most of the UK manufacturers so the same electrical spares would fit many models.  Or similar parts like coils that could be used as a stop-gap.  I guess distributor caps were also interchangeable. 

29 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

I agree with you on that BG, I was confirming what IanV8 said in relation to Mayday as I was asked by the Mayday operator if I thought that my problem could be repaired at the Roadside, many years ago I was a member of the  RAC when they were using motorbikes and sidecars and saluted you if you had the RAC badge, the stuff they carried in that sidecar was unbelievable  

Mayday will agree to self-diagnosis but you may need to be persistent with the operator - back in the '50s my father was an AA patrolman with a motorbike and sidebox, patrolling on part of what is now the A14

I have just spoken to the AA - eventually they said I could join after breaking down.  I would have to pay the annual £89 plus a £99 surcharge.  I quite like this option as I have never needed roadside assistance in forty plus years.  Two years cover would normally cost £177.  So, if I don't breakdown in the next two years it will be cheaper not to join until I need them!  As you instantly become a full member you should get treated the same.

AA could not (or would not) tell me where the nearest patrol was when I called.  I'll bet it was three or four hours' south of me!

15 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Mayday will agree to self-diagnosis but you may need to be persistent with the operator - back in the '50s my father was an AA patrolman with a motorbike and sidebox, patrolling on part of what is now the A14

My last breakdown was pretty major (lost drive)  and it was clear to me the car wasn't going anywhere. I told the operator this when I rang. I'm in Mayday. When the guy arrived he was in a flat bed truck, he quickly confirmed my self diagnosis and immediately loaded the car onto the truck after being there five minutes.

I'm not sure but I don't think Mayday/Green Flag use patrols as such . The time before that when I used them, the guy who came (to remove a wheel which had seized on the hub) also turned up in a vehicle that would have been capable of recovering me if needs be.

Just looking at the Mayday cover and I can't see that you can add European cover, is that right?

14 minutes ago, Joe1002 said:

Just looking at the Mayday cover and I can't see that you can add European cover, is that right?

Not as far as I know.

It's just UK cover.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/insurance/uk-breakdown-and-recovery/cover-policy-breakdown/

You would need to add Red Pennant cover for Europe - so I suppose in a way yes you can 'upgrade' by buying that cover. 

(You do get a small discount on buying Red Pennant if you have Mayday.)

Edited by The Happy Gnome
Edit to ad a bit

Mayday is good value IF you are already a CMC member.  But I'm not so it isn't!  🤔

• I do not understand 2
  • I agree completely 1

7 hours ago, The Happy Gnome said:

You would need to add Red Pennant cover for Europe - so I suppose in a way yes you can 'upgrade' by buying that cover. 

Great, thanks. I was looking all over and couldn't find it.

• Thanks 1