Sign in to follow this  
robertB

tank removal

I have got my sons  2006 Ace supreme on the drive next to our van. He brings it every year with his long list of repairs for me to do.

One of the faults is occasional black bits in the water, an on board tank is fitted but he never uses it. The tank has about an inch of water and the inevitable black bits in it and although the inlet is shut off  I can't find the take off point. I know a good clean would stop the black stuff swishing about and finding it's way into the system but what are the implications of removing the tank altogether.

Just wondered if anyone has had experience of doing this as it goes against the grain lugging around something surplus to requirements (or so my wife says)

thanks 

If the tank never gets used it is best removed, complete with its plumbing.

If it never gets used how on Earth is there water in it??! 
seems pointless to remove something that might come in handy if he ever gets the urge to go off in the snow or be a plus point when selling, if it is emptied, cleaned and dried out there should never be any water in it ever, I expect he needs to learn how to use the system and stop occasionally dragging in stale water from his tank

He has had the caravan 4 years and until yesterday he did not even know that he had a tank fitted so the dregs have been there all that time from a previous owner.  I think that on reflection I will just clean out and sterilise and then leave it alone.

And yes sleepyfolk there is quite a lot that he needs to learn about using and caring for a caravan  but heyho