Sign in to follow this  
iansoady

Freelander 2?

After 10 years and 70,000 miles in my hands I'm thinking about changing my Discovery Td5. It's been an excellent reliable towcar but is starting to show its age in some areas. To replace it I'm looking at a Freelander 2 - probably an SD4 automatic from 2009 onwards.

I'd be grateful for any experiences with these - it'll be towing our Bailey Pageant Vendée at 1400 kg or so.

And no, I don't fancy a Kia, Rexton or SSang Yong.

Have had 3 FLs (1 FL and 2 FL2s) and well pleased with all of them - Diesel, oil, water and air were the only things needed.

Last towing journey Chesterfield to Dorset in driving rain and much stop start did  26.14 mpg with a life-time average of 33 mpg.  A lot of towing (Bailey  Senator Series 6) in that overall average.

14 minutes ago, iansoady said:

And no, I don't fancy a Kia, Rexton or SSang Yong.

A Rexton IS a SsangYong.

• I do not understand 1

Thanks Sam. Please pardon my ignorance Townie.

7 minutes ago, iansoady said:

Thanks Sam. Please pardon my ignorance Townie.

Not ignorance Ian, just a bit of pedantry on my behalf.:D

We have a FL2 TD4 automatic and it tows out 1,400 kg Europa with no problems whatsoever.

We mainly use autoroutes with cruise set to 95kph and get 11l/100km (25mpg) which is better than the 12.5l/100km (23mpg) we get on short, county lane journeys around home.

• Like 1

If you don't want a Kia or Rexton, have a peep at a BMW X3, I am on my third, no problems an towing 1600 Kg and returning 28 to 31 mpg depending on terrain 

Thanks all - keep 'em coming.

It seems my Disco has developed a cracked cylinder head which is just not economic to repair so will start seriously looking. It has been a faithful companion but all things pass......

And no, I don't fancy a Kia, Rexton or SSang Yong.:goodpost::D Gotta love a fellow badge snob:ph34r:

• I do not understand 1
  • I agree completely 1

42 minutes ago, iansoady said:

Thanks all - keep 'em coming.

It seems my Disco has developed a cracked cylinder head which is just not economic to repair so will start seriously looking. It has been a faithful companion but all things pass......

Can't speak for the rest of the vehicle but the 2.2 Unit has a good reputation for reliability even if it's a little grumbly. Used across PSA, Ford, Jaguar and LR/RR. 

Check out the Freelander forums (you may already have used the sister Disco sites?).  https://www.freel2.com/forum/index.php They will give you some ideas on the good, bad and ugly points to watch out for.  A great, friendly, knowledgeable and technically useful forum.  

We had a slightly earlier FL2 than the 09 you are contemplating (57 plate, p.exed it for an 09 Galaxy in 2010-ish) in GS trim, 2.2 auto TD4 iirc.   SWMBO was finding the seats increasingly uncomfortable and the climb up into it an issue.

She still misses it sometimes.  Excellent towing our 1500kg caravan of the time.  Downside was the MPG but you'd expect that (27 mpg average over 14,000 miles with 3,800 towing).

1 minute ago, Rodders53 said:

SWMBO was finding the seats increasingly uncomfortable and the climb up into it an issue.

My SWMBO likes the height but the seats are the biggest downside to ours. The seat base is too short and doesn't move far enough back to provide any thigh support for someone of my height (6'2").

The Discos I have driven have been no better, so if the iansosby is happy with the seats in his Disco, the FL2 shouldn't be a problem.

We had a couple of F2’s, over about 10 years, and 100k+. belting good cars. Ours were the lower powered manual, to suit Kay. If we’d bought the SD4, I’d still have it, I only changed because I wanted something bigger, more powerful and an auto, and I couldn’t afford a newish V6 Discovery. 

Very capable, they find traction where lesser cars are struggling and make good stable tow cars. Ground clearance is an issue off-road, and the boot’s a little small compared to a Disco. 

Ours proved dead reliable, the only things I ever changed was a boot opening switch and a couple of headlight bulbs, which cost next to nowt and took only minutes. 

Unlike Lostinfrance above, I found the seats very comfortable, and I’m 6’6” and well over 17 stone. 

4 hours ago, iansoady said:

Freelander 2 - probably an SD4 automatic from 2009 onwards.

I don’t think the Freelander SD4 ever came with a factory fit manual gearbox.

I have an HSE Lux SD4 auto.  It’s a great car - comfortable, reliable and it tows extremely well with, to date and touch wood, no major expenses.  

The car really only does duty as a tow car and is thus extremely low mileage and as such, we plan to keep for the foreseeable.

Edited by ReggiePerrin

Many thanks all - very positive. I've had a look at the forum mentioned - the D2 boys' club one has been very helpful to me over the years.

As an aside, the Discovery has been diagnosed with a cracked cylinder head so I've scrapped it as it really wasn't worth ploughing thousands into it. Sad to see a faithful friend go after 10 years but quite excited about getting something new(er) and shiny!

Bought a TD4S new in 2013 on a 63 plate. Base model with a few extras { pan roof, heated screen, HSE alloys}. Now on 72,000 miles and been a great car for us.  Only issue  was a faulty rear tailgate switch which was sorted under warranty. Dealer serviced until out of warranty then local independent, they rarely see Freelander's other than for servicing. Our's is manual and still on it's original clutch and front brakes. Rear discs and pads replaced a few year's go. Does everything we want and can't think what we could replace it with. Looked at a Discovery Sport a few months ago but wasn't that impressed and the trade in price for ours was too low.

On 26/02/2020 at 12:23, Jacko1 said:

And no, I don't fancy a Kia, Rexton or SSang Yong.:goodpost::D Gotta love a fellow badge snob:ph34r:

OK the poster stated a preference and said not interested in these makes, but how on earth do you know his reasons?

Having a preference doesn't make a person a badge snob, that is pure supposition. 

I had an FL2 TD4 for 3 years and towed 1400kg with it. Never a problem towing, a great all rounder.   

Edited by jetA1

On my 2nd FL2 since 2007........ current car HSE lux sd 190 auto. just can't fault it and from what I have read it's been land rover most reliable car. 

Off to look at a couple this weekend. Wish me luck!

Our FL2 TD4 Auto was bought new in 2000. Just clocked 100,000, very reliable, pulls 1600kg without any trouble.

Intend to keep it until major engine or transmission fault makes it uneconomic to repair. Would buy a new one tomorrow, if they still made them.

On 26/02/2020 at 11:15, Les Medes said:

If you don't want a Kia or Rexton, have a peep at a BMW X3, I am on my third, no problems an towing 1600 Kg and returning 28 to 31 mpg depending on terrain 

I get better mpg towing with my X3 30D than I did solo with my Freelander 2!

On 28/02/2020 at 13:52, Atty said:

Our FL2 TD4 Auto was bought new in 2000. Just clocked 100,000, very reliable, pulls 1600kg without any trouble.

Intend to keep it until major engine or transmission fault makes it uneconomic to repair. Would buy a new one tomorrow, if they still made them.

An FL2 in 2000 ??

Just now, jetA1 said:

An FL2 in 2000 ??

Oooops sorry,  should have read "2010"

Posted (edited)

I've taken the plunge and bought a 2013 SD4 auto with 80,000 miles on the clock and full service history for £10,000. A short test drive was good and am picking the car up tomorrow with full MoT. It has a towing pack and looks very nice. And it's a lovely shade of blue rather than black or silver!

fl2.thumb.jpg.5c9a6008d84dfaab1bf63a35307030e7.jpg

Edited by iansoady
photo

Very nice Sir!:)