Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Maffffster

Snowdon

Recommended Posts

Hoping to go to snowdon in the next few months and after any advice on best walking routes up snowdon and tips/advice to keep us all safe. 

 

Doesn't have to just be walking routes up snowdon, but also nice walks around the area 

 

thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are several paths, depending on your ability - Railway path, Pyg track, Miners track, Watkin path - google them and choose whichever suits you best - for scenery views, the narrow gauge railway from Caernarfon-Porthmadog is a good ride on a clear day.

 

In the summer, the weekends get very busy with a number of orgaised events.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Done all of the paths, the Llanberis path (following the railway)  being the easiest to walk and navigate.

 

If you are up for a challenge it's Crib Goch, did this route, the only time in my life I thought I was going to die,

 

Think this chap had similar thoughts.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having previously done the Llanberis, Pyg and Miners in the distant past, in my opinion the Mountain Ranger beats them for scenery and do-ability.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Griff said:

Done all of the paths, the Llanberis path (following the railway)  being the easiest to walk and navigate.

 

If you are up for a challenge it's Crib Goch, did this route, the only time in my life I thought I was going to die,

 

Think this chap had similar thoughts.

 

 

 

 

Wow,  No wonder the mountain rescue teams were touting the ideas on charging people they pick up, providing the halfwits are still alive.  That is ridiculous.  one slip and that is death, not a twisted ankle, but death.  Pratts walking round in shorts and t'shirts, TOTALLY unprepared for such a "Challenge"    Trouble is, these halfwits take kids up there.  If those morons actually saw the remains of such fools then I would hope they would think twice.   I suppose things like this are set to help with Gene pool  standardisation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take the Train, it's a lot easier

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Armleywhite said:

Wow,  No wonder the mountain rescue teams were touting the ideas on charging people they pick up, providing the halfwits are still alive.........

 

The first time we did Snowdon it was by the Llanberis Path late spring.

 

Fully booted and suited and trying to keep a steady pace to get up and down in a 6 hour slot we were passed by a foreign girl in a summer dress, cardigan and flip flops!

 

When we did Crib Goch mid summer, our initial plan was the Pyg Track, again in all the gear and after chatting to an outward bound leader at the intersection between the two, we decided to follow up behind his unit across the Crib Goch traverse, some were in shorts, some walking upright across the main ridge!

 

We had to straddle and crawl across the ridge in places in case of tripping an falling hundreds of feet.

 

Knowing what we know it was really beyond our capability but the gods were with us on the day, wouldn't attempt it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If not reasonably fit and your knees are not too bad, go up in the train and walk back down. It will be cold on top so take warm clothing but if the weather is bad do not bother. It is likely to be busy so if possible book the train before you go but check weather forecasts since it is better if you can see once on top.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

If not reasonably fit and your knees are not too bad, go up in the train and walk back down. It will be cold on top so take warm clothing but if the weather is bad do not bother. It is likely to be busy so if possible book the train before you go but check weather forecasts since it is better if you can see once on top.

Whilst I understand your point, for many people with dodgy knees, walking downhill is actually more difficult than walking uphill!

  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Take the Train, it's a lot easier

Yes but you can't book on the day gets fully booked weeks in advance.

So book before leaving home and take your chance on weather.

  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theres a great program on the ITV hub called "the mountain" which just shows how busy it can get. When we did old man coniston it wasn't to busy. 

 

I initially thought about walking up and training it back but for a family of 4 it will cost over £80 to get the train down. I'm to tight to pay that lol so it looks like we are walking back down lol. 

 

I was thinking of taking the miners track 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Maffffster said:

 

I initially thought about walking up and training it back but for a family of 4 it will cost over £80 to get the train down. I'm to tight to pay that lol so it looks like we are walking back down lol. 

 

 

 

I thought you had to buy return ticket and come back down on train they nominated, probably one you went up on so limited time at summit.  IE No single journeys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, David 38 said:

 

I thought you had to buy return ticket and come back down on train they nominated, probably one you went up on so limited time at summit.  IE No single journeys.

I believe you can get the train down but cannot book the tickets and its first come first served, so could be standing around for a while waiting so might be quicker to walk back down lol 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We took the train in Spetember 2017 and as David 38 pointed out we had to return on the designated train.

This was the result from 09:30 to 11:06.

7DSCF9334.jpg

7DSCF9359.jpg

7DSCF9366.jpg

7DSCF9390.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Armleywhite said:

........ If those morons actually saw the remains of such fools then I would hope they would think twice.........

 

When we did it 26 years back, just before the shear ridge in the video there was a plaque fastened to a rock which  read something like 'Dr so and so fell to his death at this point in the year19xx'

 

If it's still there, the chap in the video will have seen this which probably did his nerves a power of good and as most do the horseshoe in an anticlockwise circuit it's difficult to turn back at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stevan said:

Whilst I understand your point, for many people with dodgy knees, walking downhill is actually more difficult than walking uphill!

I know what you are saying, I am one of those who suffers with knees and use walking poles. Over recent years I have completed all the Lake District Wainwright listed hills and the poles are a great help, use them up and down the hills and they take a lot of the weight off the knees. I find the first few walks in a season my knees are really bad but they seem to improve from the exercise.

 

Years ago in February we tried the Miners Track but found the Pen y Pass car park was full so had to park a long way down the hill so did not save much in altitude to climb. An excellent walk but did not get to the top since the snow level was too low and we did not have crampons/ice axes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best advice from me is to park up early in Llanberis (can usually get free on road parking if early enough) and catch the Sherpa Bus up to Pen y Pas youth hostel (short journey and relatively cheap). You will be glad you did it when you arrive at Pen y Pas as it is nigh on impossible to get a parking space, & even if you do, they are ridiculously expensive. From Pen y Pas you can either take the Pyg Track up (our favourite) or the Miners Track. Incredible approach to the summit and both very straighforward routes. At the summit, just take the Llanberis path as your descent - a bit longer than the others, but you will be glad of it as it is easier on the knees!!! The Llanberis path will take you directly to Llanberis where your car will be waiting for you and I would highly recommend a meal at Pete's Eats. Beauty of doing it this way is that you will experience two very different sides to the mountain. Other top tip - set out early as it can get VERY busy later on.

Edited by David350
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, David350 said:

Best advice from me is to park up early in Llanberis (can usually get free on road parking if early enough) and catch the Sherpa Bus up to Pen y Pas youth hostel (short journey and relatively cheap). You will be glad you did it when you arrive at Pen y Pas as it is nigh on impossible to get a parking space, & even if you do, they are ridiculously expensive. From Pen y Pas you can either take the Pyg Track up (our favourite) or the Miners Track. Incredible approach to the summit and both very straighforward routes. At the summit, just take the Llanberis path as your descent - a bit longer than the others, but you will be glad of it as it is easier on the knees!!! The Llanberis path will take you directly to Llanberis where your car will be waiting for you and I would highly recommend a meal at Pete's Eats. Beauty of doing it this way is that you will experience two very different sides to the mountain. Other top tip - set out early as it can get VERY busy later on.

Sounds like a good plan.

 

Another top tip, empty your bladder before starting out. When you are on a full day hill walking it is not possible to last without weeing, even more so when it is cold. When it is quiet, somewhere out of the way can usually be found to be discrete but when there are hundreds or thousands on the same route this is going to be difficult.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely - too many people around on the main Snowdon routes, maybe possible for us guys but the ladies I would say it's a no. There are toilets at the cafe at the summit, but only open May to September (depending on weather).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, David350 said:

Best advice from me is to park up early in Llanberis (can usually get free on road parking if early enough) and catch the Sherpa Bus up to Pen y Pas youth hostel (short journey and relatively cheap). You will be glad you did it when you arrive at Pen y Pas as it is nigh on impossible to get a parking space, & even if you do, they are ridiculously expensive. From Pen y Pas you can either take the Pyg Track up (our favourite) or the Miners Track. Incredible approach to the summit and both very straighforward routes. At the summit, just take the Llanberis path as your descent - a bit longer than the others, but you will be glad of it as it is easier on the knees!!! The Llanberis path will take you directly to Llanberis where your car will be waiting for you and I would highly recommend a meal at Pete's Eats. Beauty of doing it this way is that you will experience two very different sides to the mountain. Other top tip - set out early as it can get VERY busy later on.

Absolutely the best way to do it! Crib Goch is definitely only for the most experienced, all I can add is appropriate clothing and footwear is an absolute must which ever route you decide to take and check the weather at the summit before you even begin your journey, when we did it in July 2017 it took us 3 days to get a decent weather window as although the weather was fine in Llanberis the summit was being battered by 100mph winds 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to go with the local school outward bound group quite frequently both in summer and winter in the snow and it can be very cold and blustery up there even in the summer. Visibility can close in to virtually zero, so make sure that you've got a map & compass (and know how to use them).

 

Lots of people will do the easy route in flip-flops and shorts but I've met some very cold and demoralised people who aren't properly equipped. You may feel a bit of a fraud if it's really nice and you are fully kitted but believe me, when the weather closes in and it's starts chucking it down you'll be really grateful if you are properly equipped.

 

As said above only do Crib Goch if you are fairly experienced although it can be a bit of a motorway across it so there'll be plenty of people to follow.

Edited by matelodave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Griff said:

The first time we did Snowdon it was by the Llanberis Path late spring.

 

I have only done it once 22 years ago at age 45. No idea how long it took (probably nearly 6 hours with a break for food on the way) but could not do it now, It's amazing when you think that the hill running record for the 10 miles ascent and descent route has stood for nearly 35 years at 1 hour 2 minutes and 29 seconds.

3 minutes ago, matelodave said:

Lots of people will do the easy route in flip-flops and shorts but I've met some very cold and demoralised people who aren't properly equipped. You may feel a bit of a fraud if it's really nice and you are fully kitted but believe me, when the weather closes in and it's starts chucking it down you'll be really grateful if you are properly equipped.

 

I went up with members of the social group that I ran about 12 years ago using the train up and down. It was about mid July and at the top the mist was such that you had to be within 5 or 6 feet to recognise a friends face

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Llanberis and Ranger paths are straightforward walking paths, but much more fun on a mountain bike. Pyg track I don’t know, and for me Crib Goch makes for the most pleasant ascent on foot if you can get up midweek, and is great fun at this time of year if it’s iced up. Although, my tastes probably aren’t for everyone and not for the inexperienced. 

 

Tryfan is another nice mountain in the area, I prefer it to Snowdon, and Glyder Fawr & Glyder Fach are a decent day out with a nice photo opportunity on the cantilevered rock at the summit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crib Goch for those who've never been 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, matelodave said:

Crib Goch for those who've never been 

 

 

See the whimp kept to the inside of the ridge for the biggest part.

  • Haha 1
  • I do not understand 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...