Sign in to follow this  
dave56

Leisure battery 95ah?

Hi there all! Trying to find a lighter leisure battery as my present one is 24kg and too heavy to manage-old age and wife with a bad back. It seems that the min is 95ah to cope with my mover.  Can anyone point me in the right direction? Many thanks. David.

Weight is proportional to capacity in lead-acid batteries - you either need to switch to expensive, but lighter lithium battery or modify to use a pair of smaller lead-acid batteries wired in parallel.

Good leisure batteries are heavy but if your on hook up most of the time you  could use a starter battery.

Not really sure why you have to manage it? I only lift a battery when it needs replacing.

10 minutes ago, dave56 said:

Hi there all! Trying to find a lighter leisure battery as my present one is 24kg and too heavy to manage-old age and wife with a bad back. It seems that the min is 95ah to cope with my mover.  Can anyone point me in the right direction? Many thanks. David.

All lead acid batteries are heavy. The alternatives are the lithium based ones and there is another thread running discussing those.

Just get some help to lift it in and leave it there.  No need to be taking it in and out.  80AH should be big enough for the job.

John.

Edited by Leedslad

Buy a Lithium

A sack truck can be used to move heavy items around if your problem is carrying it. You can get lifter types with a platform that can be raised so a battery would only be need to be slid on to it but these can be expensive. Or a standard truck could be used with a strong box on it at the height of the caravan battery locker. I use a folding sack truck to move our 25 litre caravan water containers, not wanting to buy aquaroll types. Mrs P would not be able to lift a battery so I would not even ask her to try it.

Time for the Yorkshire Warcry!         _      HOW MUCH ! ! !

John.      :D

Screenshot 2020-02-25 at 23.33.33.png

Dave.

I've just taken delivery of a Powerxtreme X20 lithium.

4.5kg. I tried it last weekend twice the distance i would normally in storage total for about 15 minutes moving and it still showed two out of three bars left..

It has its own inbuilt charged, the only thing you can't do is charge it with the van charger so I will install and isolator switch when on hook up.

Previously I had a car started battery at 10kg.

1 hour ago, Jiffy176 said:

Dave.

I've just taken delivery of a Powerxtreme X20 lithium.

4.5kg. I tried it last weekend twice the distance i would normally in storage total for about 15 minutes moving and it still showed two out of three bars left..

It has its own inbuilt charged, the only thing you can't do is charge it with the van charger so I will install and isolator switch when on hook up.

Previously I had a car started battery at 10kg.

Hope it's not a cheeky question, but how much did it cost ?

https://www.sunstore.co.uk/product/powerxtreme-x20-lithiumlon-20ah-battery/

Note that it is just a 20Ah battery, replacing in Jiffy176's case, what  must be a low capacity  starter battery of just 10kg.

Not that for on EHU camping where the only real ask of it is the mover, that low capacity is an issue.

Edited by JTQ

Hi there. Many thanks for the helpful comments. It is true that I take the battery in  and  out of the van too much. I tend to remove it each time we return from  a trip and return the van to storage. I am sure I can cut down on this. I may still try and get a 90ah battery as I have seen some around the 20kg mark. The search begins. Thanks again. David.

we know exactly what you mean, we had a little truck at first to help, but you still have that final lift to do.   A solar panel is the answer, just make sure you don't park in the shade or under a tree and it keeps the battery topped up all year. 

• I agree completely 2

Yes, our battery is kept charged all year round with a panel.  It comes out once a year during a New year Rally for quick recharge.  I don’t believe in making work for myself.  

2 hours ago, dave56 said:

Hi there. Many thanks for the helpful comments. It is true that I take the battery in  and  out of the van too much. I tend to remove it each time we return from  a trip and return the van to storage. I am sure I can cut down on this. I may still try and get a 90ah battery as I have seen some around the 20kg mark. The search begins. Thanks again. David.

Why do you need to remove it each time ? If you are just worried about it losing charge, it will not do this if you disconnect one of its terminals so you know it is not connected to anything. The loss of charge would be negligible over a few weeks. Then it would stay at whatever charge it had when you arrived at your storage. If moving it in storage is taking a lot out of the battery, why not push the caravan a bit and save the mover for the difficult bits such as going up an incline or, depending on your storage, you might be able to use the car to position the caravan, same when you get on a site so the mover would not be needed.

21 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Hope it's not a cheeky question, but how much did it cost ?

It was £200 as it was older stock but I have registered it with Powerxtreme and got a 5 year warranty certificate through today.

As JTQ says it replaced a 44ah 360CCA starter battery as we are always on EHU and only ever use the battery for the mover or if the mains goes off.

The low capacity is not an issue. Unless you use your mover major manoeuvres and not just shunting on the pitch.

They are specifically made to handle high current draw, much more than my evo will need. I did a lot of research and spoke at length with their tech guys before deciding that was what I wanted.

In all honesty I could have probably managed with the 10ah having tested it out but the 20 gives a bit in reserve.

Have a look at the Dutch forums, they are much more popular in Europe as they tend not to have a 12v system and reliability like the UK does.

I've found my mover works a bit better too as there is no drop of the load when power kicks in.

Drop me a PM if you want to know more. It's not for everyone especially if you like off grid but we don't so it works for us and goes to show you don't need a big AH battery run the mover.

Mine draws about 65amps under load and is rated at 80a.