Sign in to follow this  
bigkev1950

Tow bar electrics buzzer

No buzzer on towbar electrics LED car lights new swift caravan.

so what are you trying to say -  a cryptic comment like that doesn't really tell us whether you've got a problem, making a comment, asking a question or you just felt like putting something on the forum.

If you want a useful response then tell us what you want to know or what the problem is and what is or is not happening and what you've observed when trying to sort it out yourself.  Trying to drag info out a nibble at a time is very frustrating and you get all manner of random guesses

You should also include the van make model and year, the car make model and year and if you've got a problem with the towing electrics whether they are factory fitted or an aftermarket addition with ideally the manufacturers info.

or you can look here - https://sargentltd.co.uk/shop/product/led-road-light-electronic-control-unit/240

Edited by matelodave
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

On modern systems there is, normally, no additional audible warning, nor a legal requirement for it. A non-operating indicator (car or trailer) is notified by the dashboard tell tale lamp flashing at twice normal speed.

However, if you are saying one is fitted and worked with an older caravan then if your caravan has led road lights you may need a Sargent VLM box. Contact the dealer for advice. They should have a test rig they can plug into your car's 13 pin socket.

• Like 1

If you have had an aftermarket towbar wiring kit fitted, they don't all work with the cars integrated systems (even the plug-in systems) and can still rely on a buzzer.

Our 2018 Volvo has this (a dedicated wiring harness from PF Jones) and this uses a buzzer in a self-contained module, mounted behind one of the trim panels in the boot.  Unfortunately, with so much sound deadening, you cannot hear it unless you have your head in the boot!  Try listening in the boot first, it could just be muffled, if not, follow the advice above.

When I fitted the bar to my Kia I fitted the manufacturers wiring kit. The only time I ever heard the buzzer  was when an indicator  bulb stopped working on the van ( bad connection in the 13 pin plug ). Sorted it out and silence reigned again. 

Edited by Tuningdrew
Trypo

2 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

When I fitted the bar to my Kia I fitted the manufacturers wiring kit. The only time I ever heard the buzzer  was when an indicator  bulb stopped working on the van ( bad connection in the 13 pin plug ). Sorted it out and silence reigned again. 

That's the way most good quality wiring kits work these days.

16 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Now you say it, that might be how our Volvo works, I must double check! It DOES buzz. It IS muffled. I can’t remember when it buzzes though.......

Mine (Mazda dedicated wiring loom) only buzzes if a lamp FAILS to light. Personally I think that’s a good set up because whilst everything works all is silent and “normal” but if a fault occurs you get an audible warning which is “out of the ordinary”  so attracts your attention, rather than having to remember to listen for the buzzer every time you use the indicators.

Andy

The buzzer sounding in the event of an issue isnt an acceptable way, it doesnt show a positive condition i.e. the lights are working. For example if the buzzer was to fail the driver would have no knowledge of a bulb failure. The buzzer should sound when the light is illuminated, theyre triggered by the circuit taking current and therefore demonstrate the circuit is working correctly.

• Haha 1

no buzzer on new electrics ie 13pin socket -had 2 now, don't miss the annoying thing!

2 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

The buzzer sounding in the event of an issue isnt an acceptable way, it doesnt show a positive condition i.e. the lights are working. For example if the buzzer was to fail the driver would have no knowledge of a bulb failure. The buzzer should sound when the light is illuminated, theyre triggered by the circuit taking current and therefore demonstrate the circuit is working correctly.

Buzzer sounding when just the indicators are flashing gives no clue how the other lights are performing - buzzer sounding when ANY trailer light fails is much better.

• Like 1

My dictated kit has a beeper that sits behind one of the side trim panels.

It activates with the indicators, but is not loud enough to annoy.

Edited by Jiffy176

Land Rover just has a separate dash light showing trailer indicators and fault denoted by double flash.  Works for me.

• I agree completely 1

28 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Buzzer sounding when just the indicators are flashing gives no clue how the other lights are performing - buzzer sounding when ANY trailer light fails is much better.

I don’t think ANY trailer wiring looks are configured to buzz if anything OTHER than the indicator has failed are they? Can’t say I have ever come across one.

I always check the lights each time I hitch up so am more than happy having a system that alerts  me if something is wrong, rather than that it’s correct.

The reason being  I don’t normally get a buzzing sound when I operate the indicators. So if I DO get a noise it’s something  out of the ordinary so alerts me to an issue. 

Personal choice at the end end of the day

Andy

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I don’t think ANY trailer wiring looks are configured to buzz if anything OTHER than the indicator has failed are they? Can’t say I have ever come across one.

I always check the lights each time I hitch up so am more than happy having a system that alerts  me if something is wrong, rather than that it’s correct.

The reason being  I don’t normally get a buzzing sound when I operate the indicators. So if I DO get a noise it’s something  out of the ordinary so alerts me to an issue. 

Personal choice at the end end of the day

Andy

Many modern cars have bulb-failure circuits which check the trailer bulbs when the trailer is attached - my VW Touareg does although it would be a visual warning not an audible one.

18 hours ago, matelodave said:

so what are you trying to say -  a cryptic comment like that doesn't really tell us whether you've got a problem, making a comment, asking a question or you just felt like putting something on the forum.

If you want a useful response then tell us what you want to know or what the problem is and what is or is not happening and what you've observed when trying to sort it out yourself.  Trying to drag info out a nibble at a time is very frustrating and you get all manner of random guesses

You should also include the van make model and year, the car make model and year and if you've got a problem with the towing electrics whether they are factory fitted or an aftermarket addition with ideally the manufacturers info.

or you can look here - https://sargentltd.co.uk/shop/product/led-road-light-electronic-control-unit/240

A dozen or so posts of exactly what you said matelodave.

Yup - we still don't know if he's got a problem but we've found out how other people's cars do it :unsure:.

I'd tell how mine works if I thought it was relevant, but it's probably not so I won't :rolleyes:

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 1

Be helpful if Big Kev came back to actually tell us what the problem is......if there is one. 

• I agree completely 1

Even my daughter's 2008 Fiat 500 tells you as soon as any bulb pops-very handy! Scrolls across the screen with a warning, check tail lights etc.

2 hours ago, Ern said:

A dozen or so posts of exactly what you said matelodave.

Yes but it also serves to illustrate there are many different systems in operation, all that serve the same purpose.