Sign in to follow this  
SuperRed

Mercedes recall for "urgent" ECU software upgrade.

Yesterday I received a letter from Mercedes saying my 2015 ML 250 needs an update on the ECU software. It says that the update will not affect the engine performance in any way, which is great. What worries me is the short statement that says if any damage to the engine is attributed to the software update it will be repaired free of charge!!

I am seriously thinking about not bothering.

6 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

Yesterday I received a letter from Mercedes saying my 2015 ML 250 needs an update on the ECU software. It says that the update will not affect the engine performance in any way, which is great. What worries me is the short statement that says if any damage to the engine is attributed to the software update it will be repaired free of charge!!

VW Group have taken most of the flak for dieselgate, quite rightly, but many other brands were fiddling emissions nearly as much and the German authorities have come down hard to ensure that existing cars have errant software removed, exercises that are mandatory in Germany but only voluntary in the UK.

If I were you, I'd wait until other owners of ML 250 have had their cars "updated" to see if there are any reports of issues arising. It may be that the changes increase your Adblue consumption, if fitted, or increase the usage of the EGR which may shorten its life.

• I agree completely 1

I think I would try and find out more information before not getting it done if they refer to damage to the engine as if anything happened they could say you was notified .

Dave

• Like 1

I would have a look to see what they say on a Mercedes forum but since its for a 5 year old car I doubt it's very urgent.

27 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I think I would try and find out more information before not getting it done if they refer to damage to the engine as if anything happened they could say you was notified .

Dave

Dave

They are talking about the upgrade potentially causing the damage, not damage if it's not done. There is no warranty on the car so I doubt there would be any comeback anyway.

Have a read about the mess that the VW software fix made of previously good reliable cars.

I had my software "fix" reversed by a tuning company as the car was appalling after it was done.

If it was me I would not do it.

19 minutes ago, Idleness said:

Have a read about the mess that the VW software fix made of previously good reliable cars.

I had my software "fix" reversed by a tuning company as the car was appalling after it was done.

If it was me I would not do it.

That where my mind was going Idleness.

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

VW Group have taken most of the flak for dieselgate, quite rightly, but many other brands were fiddling emissions nearly as much and the German authorities have come down hard to ensure that existing cars have errant software removed, exercises that are mandatory in Germany but only voluntary in the UK.

That's true. Without the software fix the vehicles loose their type approval and that gives the authorities the right to carry out the equivalent of a SORN.

18 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

That where my mind was going Idleness.

In contrast, my VW 3.0 V6 TDi also needed an emission-related update which I deferred for about 9 months until it was clear from the internet that no detrimental effects occured although Adblue consumption increased - for me that's an acceptable penalty to improve the environment - it's worth noting that 4-cylinder VW engines were more seriously affected than others.

So the Germans are at it again?

• I do not understand 1

21 minutes ago, The road toad said:

So the Germans are at it again?

Not only but also. Renault, Jeep, Mazda and Suzuki are together with them.

14 hours ago, Lutz said:

That's true. Without the software fix the vehicles loose their type approval and that gives the authorities the right to carry out the equivalent of a SORN.

Isn't there a knock on effect on your insurance if the the update is not done?

Edited by Durbanite

17 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

If I were you, I'd wait until other owners of ML 250 have had their cars "updated" to see if there are any reports of issues arising. It may be that the changes increase your Adblue consumption, if fitted, or increase the usage of the EGR which may shorten its life.

17 hours ago, SuperRed said:

What worries me is the short statement that says if any damage to the engine is attributed to the software update it will be repaired free of charge!!

15 hours ago, Idleness said:

13 hours ago, Lutz said:

Not only but also. Renault, Jeep, Mazda and Suzuki are together with them.

All this goes to reinforce my decision years ago to avoid buying diesel powered vehicles for private use. I was never a fan, and the requirement for software adjustments and use of Adblu to keep the emissions down has only served to convince me that I took the right decision.

I would guess the comment about them covering any damage is to make people come in. Otherwise why take your car which works fine and is out of warranty in for a change which as with all changes could affect reliability.

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Isn't there a knock on effect on your insurance if the the update is not done?

Not unless it's a specific condition of the insurance to have all technical updates done whether voluntary or mandatory.

Thanks for all your comments, I think I will give the update a miss.

20 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Not unless it's a specific condition of the insurance to have all technical updates done whether voluntary or mandatory.

If it is a safety issue and you ignore the update there may be consequences. 

15 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

If it is a safety issue and you ignore the update there may be consequences. 

If it's a safety issue, it would be a DVLA recall, not a M-B technical bulletin.

Even in DVLA safety recall campaigns, it's rare that a vehicle must not be used while waiting for the fix.

On 23/02/2020 at 20:19, Black Grouse said:

In contrast, my VW 3.0 V6 TDi also needed an emission-related update which I deferred for about 9 months until it was clear from the internet that no detrimental effects occured although Adblue consumption increased - for me that's an acceptable penalty to improve the environment - it's worth noting that 4-cylinder VW engines were more seriously affected than others.

I didn't think any VW engines with adblue had the dual map functionality so were not implicated in Dieselgate.

Some tweeks were done to improve on road emissions on other VW engines as was the case with other manufacturers but they were still legal.

2 hours ago, logiclee said:

I didn't think any VW engines with adblue had the dual map functionality so were not implicated in Dieselgate.

Some tweeks were done to improve on road emissions on other VW engines as was the case with other manufacturers but they were still legal.

VW Group's 3.0 V6 diesel was definitely implicated - the Audi and Porsche versions were banned from sale in Germany and VW versions were subject to buy-back in the USA. This engine didn't have blatant cheats like the 4-cylinder VW but still gave real world results quite different to its NEDC test results - specifically, the EGR and Adblue were used less in normal use than the test, to improve EGR service life and reduce Adblue consumption - the fact that technical bulletin 23Y3 was mandatory in Germany but voluntary in the UK is down to differences in legislation.

Edited by Black Grouse

19 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

VW Group's 3.0 V6 diesel was definitely implicated - the Audi and Porsche versions were banned from sale in Germany and VW versions were subject to buy-back in the USA. This engine didn't have blatant cheats like the 4-cylinder VW but still gave real world results quite different to its NEDC test results - specifically, the EGR and Adblue were used less in normal use than the test, to improve EGR service life and reduce Adblue consumption - the fact that technical bulletin 23Y3 was mandatory in Germany but voluntary in the UK is down to differences in legislation.

Although it gave differences in real world driving the 3.0V6 passed the EU NEDC test legally without a dual map.  What the 3.0V6 did was reduce EGR and AdBlue usage outside of the temperature range of the NEDC test to "Protect the engine and emissions system" which was allowed under Euro5. 

Many others were doing this including the French, Japenese and other German brands. 

It did break US legislation and some EU member states demanded a fix be done and some member states made it optional but it was not illegal in the EU.

No manufacturer was prosecuted for regulating emission systems due to temperature.

Only the engines with Dual Maps actually broke EU legislation and passed EU5 illegally. 

Never seemed to get this many "upgrades" on older cars.  At least you could fix your own car's mishaps. 

5 minutes ago, logiclee said:

It did break US legislation and some EU member states demanded a fix be done and some member states made it optional but it was not illegal in the EU.

It is/was illegal in Germany because the engine emissions were not in line with the documented vehicle type approval. Owners were informed by the central vehicle licencing office that their vehicle licences would be revoked if the fix was not carried out.

5 minutes ago, Lutz said:

It is/was illegal in Germany because the engine emissions were not in line with the documented vehicle type approval. Owners were informed by the central vehicle licencing office that their vehicle licences would be revoked if the fix was not carried out.

But no prosecution was bought for this unit or the Renualt, Merc, Nissan, PSA and other manufacturers that also had temperature zoning (Allowed under EU5)

The only engines that VW were prosecuted for was the Dual Map Euro 5 units. Only these units could not pass Euro5 on the original road map.

• Thanks 1