Sign in to follow this  
Damienbrown84

Can I tow twin axle

I have a 2019 530d Xdrive I want to upgrade to a swift twin axle but just wondering if the car is up to the job or would I need a 4x4?

I have already done my B+E test so I have the correct driving licence.

Thanks

You don’t NEED a 4x4, just something that is a suitable weight match and sufficient towing capacity. I tow a twin axle without an SUV. There are light and heavy twin axles, some suitable for cars others needing heavyweights.

We have a 2018 Swift Quattro EB. Current tow car is a 2018 Volvo V90 at an 89% towing weight ratio, previously used a 2016 BMW520D at a 93% towing weight ratio.

931748B4-F194-4D7D-A20B-BFD7E2CB786B.jpeg

218EBF0B-96EE-486C-BEDF-1C5598BF1D90.jpeg

Edited by GaryB1969

15 minutes ago, Damienbrown84 said:

I have a 2019 530d Xdrive I want to upgrade to a swift twin axle but just wondering if the car is up to the job or would I need a 4x4?

Thanks

But a 530d Xdrive is a 4x4. It's just not an SUV.

To my knowledge it's rated to tow 2000kg, so that should cover most, if not all, Swift twin axles.

Edited by Lutz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do check the towing limit of the exact model you have, as it can vary from year to year, but in practice it should tow most twin axle caravans. You do not specify which Swift you are looking at so cannot comment on the towing ratio. No specific reason to get a 4x4, unless you are stopping in fields and may need the extra grip if it is wet, although you seem to have one.

Hi,have a look at the Practical Caravan review on YouTube.

They really liked it and in the video it’s towing a twin axle Swift.

Duncan

Thanks that’s given me some confidence I’ll proceed with changing the van. 👍

Confidence-an Xdrive 530d will pull the chassis off a caravan if you want it to-I'd go so far to say I would probably tow any Uk made caravan with that sort of towing ability-even a Bucaneer-as you know I don't hold sway(pun there) with the 85%!

• I agree completely 1

My 530d towing our Swift twin axle. Very stable rig and plenty of power so you should have no worries.fullsizeoutput_1e14.thumb.jpeg.1be5a1f3d3c4b807c053b6b3378ddf52.jpeg

On 23/02/2020 at 09:53, Damienbrown84 said:

Thanks

I have towed with 520d, 530d and 530d Touring and no issues with any of them. You don't mention if your Xdrive is saloon or touring but air suspension on the touring is self leveling so this helps with stability. You can see the impact the weight of the van has on the saloon in GaryB1929's post.

Either way they are both good tow cars.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

You can see the impact the weight of the van has on the saloon in GaryB1929's post.

Either way they are both good tow cars.

That was at the services on the way to Durham. My wife & daughter are sitting in the front of the caravan having lunch, I won’t show them this! :D

• Haha 1