My previous owner had this system and I’ve remained with it for 10 years now.

It’s simply two Aquarolls placed on their sides and interlinked using regular plumbing fittings.  There are isolating valves on each Aquaroll which allow you to close the flow of water when placing them on their side then open the valves to allow the water to flow between the Aquarolls.

I have a high pressure on board pump which I have insulated to reduce the noise.  Connected to the pump is a length of blue food grade hose which passes through the redundant filter casing.

On arrival at site I fill up both Aquarolls, connect them up and pull the blue hose through the filter aperture and fit into first Aquaroll.

I then bleed the water system with a custom pipe fitted onto the end of the shower wand which in turn fill up my toilet flush tank.

I then top up the now interconnected Aquarolls via the top of number two Aquaroll using two 10 litre plastic cans.

with the Max 80 litre capacity I never run out of water at an awkward moment (like during a shower or late at night) 

As for the waste, well its quite easy even at my age to judge when it requires emptying and it give me some extra exercise.

When leaving the site the Aquarolls are neatly stored in the toilet with the wastemaster in the front locker.  The blue water pipe is simply pushed back inside the caravan and the original blue filter cap screwed back on to keep the dust away.

Posted (edited)

Yep. I understand that however I access two full Aquarolls I will still get 80 litres of water and corresponding amounts of waste water to deal with.
There are many ways to increase the total volume of stored water to hand if that is your aim, several have been mentioned in this thread and all have their merits and their designers should be credited for their ingenuity.

However, increasing total volume of stored water was not the principal reason for my own modification, even though it is a side effect.
It's all about the convenience of achieving a continuous uninterrupted supply.

I have used a conventional single Aquaroll set up and a dual linked AR set up (in effect an 80L AR) and my autochangeover system and the latter works best for us on site, which I guess is all that matters.

It's one of those situations where you need to use it to fully appreciate it (or not as the case may be).

Our Swift Elegance has numerous water supply options and I have tried them all, but it was an easy decision to go back to a system we know would suit us better when not on a serviced pitch.

As mentioned more than once before, if an Aquaroll runs out while filling a bowl to wash the dishes or more likely while in the shower, change over instantly maintains the supply without having to take any immediate action. Then, when I go to fill the now empty AR at my convenience the other AR is still connected and operational.  Not having to keep topping an AR to avoid running out at an awkward time, but allowing them to fully empty before refilling in turn may even reduce trips to the tap overall. Though I haven't done the time and motion study. The total volume of water stored is a secondary factor.

Yes I need to attend to the wastemaster just like everyone else, but if I have misjudged and it starts to overflow when I have just lathered up in the shower (apologies for traumatising readers with too much imagery :blink:) I can rinse the soap out of my eyes, get dried, dressed and attend to it. Yes, I have fitted a float switch in the WM to alert me when it is nearly full, so hopefully this shouldn't happen very often.
However, if the water runs out at the same lathered up stage of my shower, that is a whole different level of hassle. Yes, I could have gone out with my torch and made sure the AR was full before getting in the shower, but it's all about convenience.

It's something I really enjoyed designing and making for ourselves. We both enjoy the benefits we feel it gives us in use. I share it purely for the interest of and to possibly be of use to those who are considering something similar or reading purely for interest.

Edited by Ukzero
  • Like 1

I fully agree with Ukzero. The most useful part of some kind of switchover system (either automatic or manual) is not the increased total water capacity but the ease of maintaining supply and replenishment without ever unexpectantly running out of water.

Ukzero's auto changeover is the ultimate solution (and all credit to his ingenuity) but the much simpler manual electric switchover brings most of the benefits. I look forward to implementing it when I can get hold of my new van !!!

19 hours ago, robertB said:

appreciate how many people like to innovate and improve their systems and how satisfying the results must be.  The caravan is an absolute playground for an inventive mind.

I have a similar inventive interest. We use fully serviced pitches quite a lot and in many places especially on the continent have found the drain to be higher than the caravan waste outlet. I have been doodling with the idea of a simple pumped waste. Using a small diameter hose which is much less obtrusive and bulky. I have constucted a lash up which has enabled me to gather some simple practical data. I will make a workable prototype next. The pump and level switch are cheapo items bought via eBay from China. Its a bit of fun really but with a usefull intention.

1 hour ago, Ern said:

I have been doodling with the idea of a simple pumped waste.

Good idea and leading towards my own idea of an ultimate water system which I am toying with.

Waste water goes into a reservoir with a sieve in it to catch the inevitable sweet corn, etc.

High pressure pump slowly pumps waste water through a semi-permeable membrane system which purifies it.

Purified water feeds back into the Aquaroll. 

One aquaroll fill up per stay and just one wastewater trip before you leave to dispose of any sweet corn!

Simples :D

Am I serious? Certainly toying with doing more research to see how expensive/practical for a caravan/motorhome application. 

20 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Theres no difference, the same volume of water is coming out of the tap regardless.

There's no difference in the total volume of water but with the switch system you get implicit notification when the first Aquaroll is empty, giving you a chance to refill it before the second one runs dry. With Reggie's setup you could drain both Aquarolls before realising you are out of water.

Here is what I envisage in a van with external pumps and tap micro switches.

Aqua.thumb.jpg.6376e0a5eb84d3f44e3ab866b651f384.jpg

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

There's no difference in the total volume of water but with the switch system you get implicit notification when the first Aquaroll is empty, giving you a chance to refill it before the second one runs dry. With Reggie's setup you could drain both Aquarolls before realising you are out of water.

Here is what I envisage in a van with external pumps and tap micro switches.

Aqua.thumb.jpg.6376e0a5eb84d3f44e3ab866b651f384.jpg

This is precisely what I did a few years ago, I located the rocker switch so that I could easily reach it from the shower. If I remeber rightly that caravan had the pressure switched pump (not microswitches) but it works for both.

3 hours ago, Ukzero said:

Good idea and leading towards my own idea of an ultimate water system which I am toying with.

Waste water goes into a reservoir with a sieve in it to catch the inevitable sweet corn, etc.

High pressure pump slowly pumps waste water through a semi-permeable membrane system which purifies it.

Purified water feeds back into the Aquaroll. 

One aquaroll fill up per stay and just one wastewater trip before you leave to dispose of any sweet corn!

Simples :D

Am I serious? Certainly toying with doing more research to see how expensive/practical for a caravan/motorhome application. 

I have tested a system using 6M length of 12mm water hose going up hill over 0.5M, with a float switch and a 12v/1.2A submersible pump. It shifts water at the same speed as our shower fawcet. 

Edited by Ern
Added text

1 hour ago, Ern said:

I located the rocker switch so that I could easily reach it from the shower.

I would say that's the perfect place for the changeover switch on such a system.

1 hour ago, Ern said:

I have tested a system using 6M length of 12mm water hose going up hill over 0.5M, with a float switch and a 12v/1.2A submersible pump. It shifts water at the same speed as our shower fawcet. 

Sounds ideal. Something I might investigate if we increase our use of serviced pitches. Kudos for original thinking that man.

Re the wastemaster  We are new to caravanning having had a MH up to now so had on board waste tanks.

The drains on our van are so low that the only option is for the pipe to go in the top hole of the WM and it seems to fill very quickly but the middle hole is too high for any kind of fall.

Is this correct?

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, robertB said:

Re the wastemaster  We are new to caravanning having had a MH up to now so had on board waste tanks.

The drains on our van are so low that the only option is for the pipe to go in the top hole of the WM and it seems to fill very quickly but the middle hole is too high for any kind of fall.

Is this correct?

That can be a problem, I experience it on my new caravan, but my previous 2004 caravan had drain outlets that were higher up. As the drain pipes are pinned to the underneath of the caravans floor, maybe modern caravans are lower than they used to be?

Depending on the pitch your caravan is occupying, sometimes theres no harm in allowing the wastmaster to overflow, apart from any possible smell.

Edited by LeadFarmer

3 hours ago, robertB said:

Is this correct?

Depending on how you are pitched there can be very little drop between the outlet/outlets and the highest WM inlet. In this scenario you can usually get round this by using very short pipes connecting outlet to WM. This way you can usually get sufficient fall even if the drop is only a couple of cm.

Many caravanners, myself included, swap out the often inadequate standard narrow bore waste system for 32mm or 40mm waste.

In my case I used 32mm which leads to a single outlet (push fit socket) into which I can fit an outlet pipe which works without leaking even with zero fall from the socket - a little silicone grease makes fitting and pulling apart ring seal fittings very easy.

I also have made up my own version of flexible multiple extension pieces for use on a serviced pitch - I personally don't like the popular commercially available concertina type as the concertina ridges act as a sediment trap and hinder flow - but that's another story.

I use the standard 28mm ID hose, 2 short hoses to a Y piece and then a short hose to the WM and a long 5 metre length for serviced pitches which I haven't used yet.  Works fine except for low capacity of WM.  Could really do with a larger flat WM without the higher level but they don't seem to be available. 

Anyone following this thread may recall I was inspired by Ukzero’s twin water intake system and (thanks to some further guidance from Ukzero) I have now perfected my own version. I wanted to be able to swap Watermaster inlet feeds from inside the caravan manually (as a prompt to check the wastemaster) and then be able to re-fill the empty aquaroll at my leisure rather than when me or Mrs VV are mid-shower.

The original system in our caravan uses the Whale IC control switch on each intake and I was keen to keep this switch as I have found once calibrated they work well on 12v or 240v without any further adjustment required. Having cut a hole in the side of the caravan and fitted the second inlet, i bridged the -ve, +ve and pump running light feeds from one socket to the other. I then re-routed the pipe work through a Whale 3 way valve which is mt method of switching from one aquaroll to the other. As it is a pressurised system i preferred this route to electronic switching. This is the Mk 2 version as the Mk 1 version was too far to reach through the under seat area to reach the original on/off taps I had fitted into each of the feed pipes - the new version has the pipework re-worked further forwards and via the Whale valve. We stayed in the caravan on the drive this weekend and pleased to say it all worked an absolute charm.DBD10973-541E-4B5F-A6F2-61222D4E2CC7.thumb.jpeg.fcccb642e9c0824e1093f4c2c0b2ae50.jpeg

51673E31-ACB7-42F1-820F-E5150DB3BF73.jpeg

E7CCD14B-98C8-4C77-B7C5-1B449BE309AC.jpeg

A65F12A4-E211-4EC1-A504-C6BC24261775.jpeg

Edited by VOLVOVANNER

1 hour ago, VOLVOVANNER said:

Anyone following this thread may recall I wanted to be able to swap Watermaster inlet feeds from inside the caravan manually (as a prompt to check the wastemaster) and then be able to re-fill the empty aquaroll at my leisure rather than when me or Mrs VV are mid-shower.

We stayed in the caravan on the drive this weekend and pleased to say it all worked an absolute charm.

I'm glad you now have a system which functions as you want and adds to your convenience. There is no right or wrong way, just what works best for you :)

5 minutes ago, Ukzero said:

I'm glad you now have a system which functions as you want and adds to your convenience. There is no right or wrong way, just what works best for you :)

Thank you again for the inspiration. As you have suggested there are several ways to achieve this and for me, this system is ideal albeit not quite as fully automatic or informative as yours. 

My next project is to fix brackets to the side of the caravan for the Fiamma Caravanstore legs to fix into. These are readily available but I think I can (and should) modify them to beef-up the method of fixing.