Sign in to follow this  
rslsys

Breakdown Cover

2 hours ago, Mr Grumpy said:

We were with Brittania for many years up until about 3 years ago when we switched to Mayday. 

We had suffered a breakdown on the A11 with the caravan on tow.

After numerous phone calls to find out what was happening ref recovery the truck finally arrived after 3 hours. We had been constantly told the delay was due to traffic, even though we could see everything flowing freely, but the driver showed me her work sheet showing she had only been at work for 30 minutes.

We were taken on to the site but it was constantly pointed out that they would not come back out to the same fault.

Its possible the recovery truck was stuck in traffic elsewhere whilst trying to get to you. Just because you couldn’t see the traffic jam doesn’t mean there wasn’t one. 

Maybe  having failed to get to you before the the end of their shift, the job was passed to another recovery truck who had just started duty. 

More realistically, the recovery driver didn’t want the job as they would be late off, so they claimed heavy traffic so the job would be passed to another driver., and I think we’d all do the same, i know I would. 

Edited by LeadFarmer

2 hours ago, Mr Grumpy said:

We were with Brittania for many years up until about 3 years ago when we switched to Mayday. 

We had suffered a breakdown on the A11 with the caravan on tow.

After numerous phone calls to find out what was happening ref recovery the truck finally arrived after 3 hours. We had been constantly told the delay was due to traffic, even though we could see everything flowing freely, but the driver showed me her work sheet showing she had only been at work for 30 minutes.

We were taken on to the site but it was constantly pointed out that they would not come back out to the same fault.

95% of the time I have had good prompt service.  But I have had some poor call outs.  Britannia seem to take feedback seriously.

There are horror stories for all breakdown services.

John

With caravans and cars needing recovery a larger flat back vehicle is needed and not all agents have them and might only have one which is already in use ot its driver(s) are out of hours.

You have to remember it looks to me that several companies use the same agents to come out to you.

2 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Its possible the recovery truck was stuck in traffic elsewhere whilst trying to get to you. Just because you couldn’t see the traffic jam doesn’t mean there wasn’t one. 

Maybe  having failed to get to you before the the end of their shift, the job was passed to another recovery truck who had just started duty. 

More realistically, the recovery driver didn’t want the job as they would be late off, so they claimed heavy traffic so the job would be passed to another driver., and I think we’d all do the same, i know I would. 

All valid points but when their call operator tells you they are on the way & will be there shortly (& repeats the same mantra every time you try & chase them up) then the driver tells you she's the only one on the crew with a license to drive an outfit of that length & had only started work 30 minutes before it doesn't exactly fill you with confidence!

Must admit though it was a nice truck & she was extremely helpful even stopping off at a dealership so I could grab the parts for the repairs.

1 hour ago, MrRVW said:

I use these.

https://autoaidbreakdown.co.uk

Looks OK, but my car comes out at £102 and European cover is another £10+ per day.

John

Another point that hasn't been mentioned is that many breakdown companies impose age restrictions on the vehicles they will cover. Not Britannia (in either of its versions).