Sign in to follow this  
rslsys

Breakdown Cover

Hi All

Just got my AA renewal quote. £395 up from £319 last year (After I bartered it down from £420 - I have had to barter every year for the last 20).

Would like to move to another provider after the recovery debacle I had with them last year.

Need breakdown, home start, relay for self & wife on our vehicles, caravan & trailers. Plus any vehicles we happen to be passengers in.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Keith

9 minutes ago, rslsys said:

Hi All

Just got my AA renewal quote. £395 up from £319 last year (After I bartered it down from £420 - I have had to barter every year for the last 20).

Would like to move to another provider after the recovery debacle I had with them last year.

Need breakdown, home start, relay for self & wife on our vehicles, caravan & trailers. Plus any vehicles we happen to be passengers in.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Keith

You can add personal cover to any Mayday policy for £32.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/insurance/uk-breakdown-and-recovery/cover-policy-breakdown/

Additional vehicles cost £25

Edited by The Happy Gnome
To add a bit

Wow, mine covers all that and is considerably less.  £100 (£20 of which is membership with other benefits).  Only 1 car caravan combination, but we are also covered as a passengers in any car.  I have not looked but I guess a second car would be about £80 as membership is already paid for.  Oh, and that covers car and caravan for all of Europe.

Britannia rescue via Boundless (CSMA as was).

I used them yesterday, first time for years, that was only to change a wheel at home.

Worth looking at if you are eligible.

John

Edited by JCloughie
Add

5 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

Wow, mine covers all that and is considerably less. 

Wow indeed. I thought it must be a typo (or car insurance was included 🤔 ) but if ever that is proof that loyalty with some of these companies never pays off there it is.

• Like 1

My wife & I have personal cover with Mayday & it’s just over £100 from memory 

We are with mayday which cover for OH and I. Premium UK personal cover for both of us and our cars. £130 I think or perhaps £137 

18 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

My wife & I have personal cover with Mayday & it’s just over £100 from memory 

Ditto. Just renewed for this year at £137. Includes any length caravan. If I was offered what the OP was offered at that price I would be looking elsewhere.

Edited by kiaboy

Got mine through my bank, Nationwide, try your bank to see what they offer.

• I agree completely 1

We went for Mayday through the Caravan Club.  If you go for others check the cover for caravans carefully, many impose limits for length or restrictions on where they will take you.

We are also with Mayday but you have to be a member of the Caravan club. Personal cover for 2 of us around the price others have mentioned (can not remember the exact amount). It includes home start, relay, breakdown and a few other things as well as in other vehicles. There is no age limit on the car registered with them. We had been with the RAC Arrival cover through the Camping club but a few years ago they put that up to a silly price so we left after around 20 years of reasonable premiums. Could be the RAC and AA are trying to bleed people dry but as they lose all their customers it will backfire in the end.

Edited by Paul1957

8 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

We had been with the RAC Arrival cover through the Camping club but a few years ago they put that up to a silly price so we left after around 20 years of reasonable premiums. Could be the RAC and AA are trying to bleed people dry but as they lose all their customers it will backfire in the end.

To get what appears the same level of cover from RAC £322 although it does give free C&CC membership for first year or a £15 voucher if already a member :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

Got mine through my bank, Nationwide, try your bank to see what they offer.

Check that the caravan is covered, by that I mean if the caravan develops a fault whilst towing (such as tyre blow out ripping the caravan floor off etc). You may find your Nationwide policy only covers your caravan if your car breaks down, but not if it's the caravan that breaks down.

Edited by LeadFarmer
  • Like 1

Keep 'em coming guys!

I was with the RAC before the AA. Made a call to them when I had a  flat battery 30+ years ago, still waiting for them to arrive . . . 

Interestingly, Mayday is operated by Green Flag. If I go direct to Green Flag I have to opt for either my car and wife's car covered or my car + 'Personal Cover' which will cover any car I'm in, but my wife will have take her own policy out to get the same cover as me.

Under Mayday I can add an extra car (misnomer, as it can be up to 5 cars registered at my home address) and add the missus and she gets the same cover as me.

Looks like Mayday are ahead of the pack at this moment.

Cheers

Keith

• I agree completely 2

5 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

Check that the caravan is covered, by that I mean if the caravan develops a fault whilst towing (such as tyre blow out ripping the caravan floor off etc). You may find your Nationwide policy only covers your caravan if your car breaks down, but not if it's the caravan that breaks down.

They have been to me for caravan and changed the wheel when tyre went down.

• I agree completely 1

At the moment Mayday seems to have it. Premium UK Plus + Additional Vehicle(s) + Personal Cover = £189. Looks to give us the same cover (plus a bit) as the AA.

We were with the AA when the kids lived at home as they were the cheapest (only) option to cover all of us. The time has come for a change, methinks!

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rslsys said:

Keep 'em coming guys!

I was with the RAC before the AA. Made a call to them when I had a  flat battery 30+ years ago, still waiting for them to arrive . . . 

Interestingly, Mayday is operated by Green Flag. If I go direct to Green Flag I have to opt for either my car and wife's car covered or my car + 'Personal Cover' which will cover any car I'm in, but my wife will have take her own policy out to get the same cover as me.

Under Mayday I can add an extra car (misnomer, as it can be up to 5 cars registered at my home address) and add the missus and she gets the same cover as me.

Cheers

Keith

Mayday provides double drop off cover and dual recovery cover, invaluable if you break down whilst towing or on holiday.

Quite frankly I dont know why anybody who caravans has cover from anybody else.

3 hours ago, rslsys said:

Keep 'em coming guys!

Cheers

Keith

With Mayday, if you have 2 cars, you only give the registration of one, in our case the tow car which is 12 years old, and you both then take personal cover, no need to add a second car since any cars you are in are covered .

1 hour ago, rslsys said:

At the moment Mayday seems to have it. Premium UK Plus + Additional Vehicle(s) + Personal Cover = £189.

If it for the UK it is £137 - you provide your partners details and you are both covered for any vehicle and no need to pay for second vehicle as Paul also said

• I do not understand 1

Anyone know if to get the double drop off cover you have to be travelling to a  pre booked Caravan Club site, or can it be any site?

• I do not understand 1

It can be any pre booked site or accommodation such as hotel or rental. 

1 hour ago, The Happy Gnome said:

Quite frankly I dont know why anybody who caravans has cover from anybody else.

It depends on other factors sometimes. I store caravan on driveway but if your caravan is stored 20 miles from home then there was a problem if the car broke down as you were only covered for 10 miles for the second drop. No idea if that has changed. 

• Haha 1

All info required is on the link I posted.

👍

Happy caravanning!

14 hours ago, Easy T said:

If it for the UK it is £137 - you provide your partners details and you are both covered for any vehicle and no need to pay for second vehicle as Paul also said

Anyone tried this in practice and called them out?

I think the other vehicle(s) you are calling them out to must not be registered at the same address as your primary vehicle.

Cheers

Keith 

21 hours ago, rslsys said:

Hi All

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Keith

Wow, that's a lot of money.

Do you have a record of lots of call outs? When did you last use them, and how much would it have cost to simply pay for the repair/recovery etc yourself?

After 3 years you have paid well over £1000. That would cover a lot of things.

Insurers make money by charging more than they think they'll have to pay out.

If you've got some money in the bank, or a credit card, why not simply "self insure"?

1 hour ago, daveat92 said:

Wow, that's a lot of money.

Do you have a record of lots of call outs? When did you last use them, and how much would it have cost to simply pay for the repair/recovery etc yourself?

After 3 years you have paid well over £1000. That would cover a lot of things.

Insurers make money by charging more than they think they'll have to pay out.

If you've got some money in the bank, or a credit card, why not simply "self insure"?

That's an interesting suggestion.

However, I wonder how much my recent Green Flag call out would have cost and how the logistics would have worked out?

On Boxing Day I immobilised my caravan by colliding with a kerbside obstruction and jamming the motor mover into the tyre.

I called out Green Flag and they promptly responded. The caravan was taken to a pre-booked site and pitched on the site.

Although my cover allowed for the caravan to be taken to storage after my stay I opted to stay on site until repairs had been carried in mid January.

At guess I would suggest it would have cost in excess of the insurance premium of circa £175 even if one could find a recovery company to carry out the recovery on the Christmas bank holiday.

When I used my breakdown cover in France due to a wheel detachment I was funded for 2 weeks site fees, Euro tunnel and 5 nights hotel as well as caravan transport twice in France and once to return it home.  For my £80 per year (UK and Europe cover).  I think I had my monies worth despite the inept French recovery people.

John