GB plates/stickers

AlanNancy

When going to Europe do we now need GB plates/stickers on our car and caravan even if there is GB on the number plate?

Alan

GB sticker will be required including Ireland . The GB on the number plate was only used by member states visiting other member states which we now are not a member . 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49558563

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

8 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

GB sticker will be required including Ireland . The GB on the number plate was only used by member states visiting other member states which we now are not a member . 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49558563

Dave

Not yet!

Until the end of the transitional period, ie 31st December 2020, number plates with the GB symbol and Euro stars are acceptable - after that a full GB sticker will be needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

In addition to the GB sticker, can we continue to use our Euro plates, or have we to change them to the unique UK style plate?

I have already changed to the UK style plates,  either have been dictating to us for long enough. 

Just now, Deckchair said:

either, I meant EU ( predictive text again) 

• I do not understand 1

7 minutes ago, Deckchair said:

I have already changed to the UK style plates,  EU have been dictating to us for long enough. 

The Circle of stars with the national code inside was never an EU requirement, you always could have had a plane number plate with a separate GB 'sticker'.

The GB 'sticker' is a UN requirement, nothing to do with the EU.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 2

The difference between a master and a beginner

The master has failed more times than a beginner has ever tried.

24 minutes ago, JTQ said:

In addition to the GB sticker, can we continue to use our Euro plates, or have we to change them to the unique UK style plate?

No, you won't have to change your plates, not even after the end of the transition period.

28 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Anyone know if I will be able to use my French Euro plates in the UK?

1 hour ago, Deckchair said:

I have already changed to the UK style plates,  either have been dictating to us for long enough. 

Throughout our time within the EU its been possible to drive in other EU countries using standard plates and a GB sticker. With various cars I have had I have done both. Euro style plates have always been completely optional for UK drivers.

Strictly of course the GB sticker must meet specific requirements.

As an aside Im always interested to note how many UK registered cars you see in Europe without either Euro plates or GB sticker.

41 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

Now thats an interesting question. One would expect you would have to revert to  an F sticker but common sense hopefully would dictate you wont have to.

But then bureaucracy isnt always known for its common sense.

Edited by The Happy Gnome

The Happy Gnome - been caravanning for more years than I care to remember!

1 hour ago, Lost in France said:

I'm certainly not going to put a 'D' sticker on my car when going to the UK. If they can't read the 'D' already on the number plate they should get a new set of glasses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Lutz said:

I'm certainly not going to put a 'D' sticker on my car when going to the UK. If they can't read the 'D' already on the number plate they should get a new set of glasses.

Legally, you may need to from next year - depends on the future trade agreement - how well it's enforced is another matter.

2 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

how well it's enforced is another matter.

You only need one pro-Brexit, anti EU copper or pro-EU Flick to give you a bad day :-)

• I agree completely 1

Euro number plates with the countries symbol is for member states and visiting outside the member countries so you need a sticker when visiting here from the EU ?

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

30 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Snap

I have the 'D' on my licence plate, on more than one occasion in the UK someone has said to me.........'Ooooo, it's a long way from Denmark!' :o:D:)

I also have a Borussia Monchengladbach sticker and a Chrome Union Jack but what I really need is a 'PRSY' badge.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

36 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Legally, you may need to from next year - depends on the future trade agreement - how well it's enforced is another matter.

Has nothing to do with trade treaty and is up to UK government to decide but I would be surprised if EU cars need a sticker if the have EU plates.

30 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Euro number plates with the countries symbol is for member states and visiting outside the member countries so you need a sticker when visiting here from the EU ?

Dave

Your information (and BBC link) relates to the out of date no deal exit scenario that didn't happen on 31/10/2019. The 31/01/2020 exit has a deal so nothing changes during the transition period. What happens from 1st Jan. 2021 depends on what agreements are reached.

In the meantime number plates, driving licences, insurance, pet passports etc. etc. are still valid without anything extra needed whether you visit them or they visit us.

Edited by Legal Eagle

Non in legendo sed in intelligendo leges consistunt.

The laws depend not on being read, but on being understood.

27 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Euro number plates with the countries symbol is for member states and visiting outside the member countries

so you need a sticker when visiting here from the EU ?

I may be being thick (again) but those two lines appear contradictory.

1 hour ago, The Happy Gnome said:

Throughout our time within the EU its been possible to drive in other EU countries using standard plates and a GB sticker. With various cars I have had I have done both. Euro style plates have always been completely optional for UK drivers.

Strictly of course the GB sticker must meet specific requirements.

As an aside Im always interested to note how many UK registered cars you see in Europe without either Euro plates or GB sticker.

A few years ago we went touring round Europe. Car was on plain number plates so I did buy a GB sticker but never got round to attaching it. Just as well because it's magnetic and when I tried it there was surprisingly little sheet metal to which to attach it. Drove all through the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France and Belgium and no-one batted an eyelid. In Italy, in the Emilia-Romagna area, we had a week where we seemed to be the only foreigners around.

Last year we did the same but I bought a set of plates with the EU stars, the letters SCO and a saltire. Technically non-regulation and unacceptable, but again, never had a problem.

Edited by Glengavel

VW Passat Audi A4 + Ace Award Brightstar

Opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the author's own

1 hour ago, Lost in France said:

You only need one pro-Brexit, anti EU copper or pro-EU Flick to give you a bad day :-)

However he would only be doing his job so why knock the copper?  :)

1 hour ago, Glengavel said:

A few years ago we went touring round Europe. Car was on plain number plates so I did buy a GB sticker but never got round to attaching it. Just as well because it's magnetic and when I tried it there was surprisingly little sheet metal to which to attach it. Drove all through the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France and Belgium and no-one batted an eyelid. In Italy, in the Emilia-Romagna area, we had a week where we seemed to be the only foreigners around.

Last year we did the same but I bought a set of plates with the EU stars, the letters SCO and a saltire. Technically non-regulation and unacceptable, but again, never had a problem.

Yup similar here.

The one one my current  car last year was the correct size but black and silver as it looked better and the one on the caravan is smaller than it should be because of where I wanted to stick it.

(I do carry two correct sized and coloured  spares in the glove box in case I encounter an overly officious foreign copper).

The Happy Gnome - been caravanning for more years than I care to remember!

4 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Quite frankly, I think they've got more important things to do than to decide if cars need a sticker or not. They've got enough work cut out for them before the end of the year than to Talk about issues like that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Quite frankly, I think they've got more important things to do than to decide if cars need a sticker or not. They've got enough work cut out for them before the end of the year than to Talk about issues like that.

You can't be serious Lutz. Surely GB stickers are far more important considerations for discussion than agriculture and fisheries agreements. It's just not cricket old bean!?

Edited by Legal Eagle
  • Haha 5

I thought GB stickers come under the Vienna Convention Annex 4 and are required and the GB on the Euro number plate is only agreement between member states .

https://familycarreview.co.uk/gb-oval-sticker-requirements-for-european-travel-brexit

My advice is to put one on to save arguments with French police .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Like 1

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

5 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

I thought GB stickers come under the Vienna Convention Annex 4 and are required and the GB on the Euro number plate is only agreement between member states .

https://familycarreview.co.uk/gb-oval-sticker-requirements-for-european-travel-brexit

My advice is to put one on to save arguments with French police .

Dave

You seem to have trouble accepting the facts. Having exited WITH an agreement all EU regulations and agreements still apply during the transition period. Technically we are still a member state for the purpose of EU regulations but without the right of representation in the EU Parliament.

If you research you will see that non-EU member states, e.g. Russia, Bosnia, Albania, Turkey etc. are also permitted to travel through the EU with the country identifier on the number plates. Following the international traffic conventions is not mandatory if an acceptable alternative has been agreed between countries. The Vienna Convention refers to country of registration identification for all countries not just GB stickers!

49 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

You seem to have trouble accepting the facts. Having exited WITH an agreement 

Sorry, Am I missing something here? I know I have been asleep for a few hours. What deal are you referring to that we have exited with ?. I thought we were still in a debate with the EU...

• I do not understand 1

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)