Sign in to follow this  
Ceepeebee

Rear License Plate Question

Hi all,

I have an issue that I'm hoping you can assist with. I purchased a rear license plate, and it came and it's over 50cm wide and not a standard width.

We don't pickup the van for another week, but I need to get this in place obviously. Can anyone advise  the standard plate size for a car as I'm sure it's the same size (unless somebody knows the Sprite Alpine 4 size requirements).

I need to get this ordered obviously.

Thoughts? I didn't think there would be an issue.

My car and van number plates (assuming we’re talking about the same thing) are 52cm x 11cm. I had an Alpine 4 (may not be the same year) until recently and it fitted the space no problem.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone having an issue fitting a number plate on a caravan.

John

PS, found this on Wikipedia -

The industry standard size front number plate is 520 mm × 111 mm (20½" × 4⅜"). Rear plates are either the same size, or 285 mm × 203 mm (approx 11"x8") or 533 mm × 152 mm (approx 21"x6"). 

Edited by Johnaldo
  • Like 1

Ceepeebee, when you say ‘width’ in your OP - are you referring to the height? If so, what are your plate’s actual measurements?

John

This is all you need to know .........................Plate complies to BS AU 145d and manufactured to UK INF104

Could it be that your cars rear plate is not the correct size ?

Right, I've measured and it's 52cm wide  x 11cm tall (height, ground to top)

Does your car rear plate have a GB logo, your new plate may have the LOGO so looks/is BIGGER.

Edited by Organman

I go to the car shop in my town, and on production of the car documentation, and proof of ownership, I get a new yellow number plate.  Its all legal, ie, got postcode details of shop where its made up at.  Or go to Halfords.  You still need your car documentation and proof of ownership.  But they do it on the spot in less than 10 minutes

• Like 2
  • I do not understand 1

The characters on a number plate by law need to be a certain height and size:

•characters must be 79mm tall

•characters (except the number 1 or letter I) must be 50mm wide

•the character stroke (the thickness of the black print) must be 14mm

•the space between characters must be 11mm

•the space between the age identifier and the random letters must be 33mm

•the margins at the top, bottom and side of the plate must be 11mm

So the minimum 'height for a one line plate will be 101mm. The width (or length if you prefer) will vary dependant upon the numbers and letters involved.

IT seems strange that the plate size requirements aren't in the handbook for the Van, considering not all sizes are equal.

Anyway, we'll see.

Halfords moaned at me coincidentally because I didn't have a V5C -  it's a company car, so instead I had  one of the other pieces of paperwork the DVLA told me is acceptable which is a registration plate letter from the leasing company - the rather annoying individual on the counter said they'd "never seen such a document".

Customer Service huh :)

2 minutes ago, kelper said:

And the seller must be licensed to sell license plates.  Many sold on eBay are not road legal.  Take advice from the Gov website.

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/getting-number-plates-made-up

Yes, I found a legal company and just sent them the documentation...we'll see if it fits :)

3 minutes ago, Ceepeebee said:

Halfords moaned at me coincidentally because I didn't have a V5C -  it's a company car, so instead I had  one of the other pieces of paperwork the DVLA told me is acceptable which is a registration plate letter from the leasing company - the rather annoying individual on the counter said they'd "never seen such a document".

I used to have the same problem, but the DVLA site does clearly say that such a letter is perfectly acceptable.  In the end I used to buy them from eBay.  Illegal but indistinguishable from anything over the counter.  This is my choice (for those that don't advocate such action)!

While there are strict rules governing sizes, there is an exemption for imported vehicles that don't have the correct space for a UK sized plate, in these cases motorcycle sized font can be used on a smaller plate.

25 minutes ago, reluctant said:

The width (or length if you prefer) will vary dependant upon the numbers and letters involved.

Here are two legal number plates , both WITHOUT the GB Logo.

number plates.jpg

Edited by Organman

1 hour ago, Ceepeebee said:

IT seems strange that the plate size requirements aren't in the handbook for the Van, considering not all sizes are equal.

Not really, AFAIK all mainstream UK vans take the standard size plates.

2 hours ago, Ceepeebee said:

Why should the sizes be in the handbook ?

It's up to the manufacturer of any caravan or similar trailer, ( or a car, motorbike etc. )   with a specific spot, sometimes moulded in to a panel for number plate fitment, to ensure that a numberplate of the legal size will fit.

Did you buy the van from a dealer?

If so, I’m surprised they’re not supplying the plate for you.

if it’s a private sale, I get that you’d have to organise it yourself

Dealers don't usually do the plate from my experience but they are a standard size so will fit-if it doesn't it probably isn't legal!

CeePeeBee

Johnaldo gave you the correct information in the first reply to this thread.

Don't fret, your new plate will fit, :).

btw, I find these quick release fixings very secure for holding the number plate, link below.

image.thumb.png.92e6884cfae3e44aef4daca74bda5236.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Trailer-Number-Plate-Clips-Holder-Quick-Release-Spring-Loaded-Stainless-Steel/143365304682?hash=item21613cf16a:g:8GoAAOSwPERdY4T7

Edited by Sea&Sand
  • I agree completely 1

i get all my number plates from the ebay seller you used and never had any issues.

15 hours ago, Sea&Sand said:

CeePeeBee

Johnaldo gave you the correct information in the first reply to this thread.

Don't fret, your new plate will fit, :).

btw, I find these quick release fixings very secure for holding the number plate, link below.

image.thumb.png.92e6884cfae3e44aef4daca74bda5236.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Trailer-Number-Plate-Clips-Holder-Quick-Release-Spring-Loaded-Stainless-Steel/143365304682?hash=item21613cf16a:g:8GoAAOSwPERdY4T7

I fitted  a metal plate to the caravan and put magnets on the back of the plates so I could switch tow cars.  But now I've only got one car so I may change it.  I will check out the brackets,  do they have to be screwed on?

1 hour ago, Ex-Gasman said:

I fitted  a metal plate to the caravan and put magnets on the back of the plates so I could switch tow cars.  But now I've only got one car so I may change it.  I will check out the brackets,  do they have to be screwed on?

If fitting to metal you could use self tapping screws, because I was fitting to plastic on the caravan  I used 5mm stainless steel nuts, bolts, washers and spring washers.

They are pretty lightweight and do not require particularly robust fixings.

Hope this helps.

John

I wouldn’t worry. Half of the current number plates are ‘illegal’ anyway. Characters moved, spaces added to compose a Vanity Plate’ !

• I do not understand 2
  • I agree completely 2

9 minutes ago, The road toad said:

I wouldn’t worry. Half of the current number plates are ‘illegal’ anyway. Characters moved, spaces added to compose a Vanity Plate’ !

I wouldn't worry either - modern ANPR cameras can still identify most of the illegal variants.