hp100425ev

Lunar Automotive

It would seem that at long last the offerings from Lunar Automotive are now being shown on the Lunar website.

There is still no sign of any activity on Strand Road though and the buildings are still showing “to let” all over them.

I've just received my monthly copy of camping and caravan magazine and they have tested the new Lunar automotive Lunar Ariva.....written by respected caravan journalist Andrew Jenkinson.

48 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I've just received my monthly copy of camping and caravan magazine and they have tested the new Lunar automotive Lunar Ariva.....written by respected caravan journalist Andrew Jenkinson.

Testing a pre-production prototype counts for very little, if anything! It is the production runs that matter.

• Like 1

If the web site has been updated then they must be going ahead in the near future or there would be no point.

19 hours ago, Stevan said:

Testing a pre-production prototype counts for very little, if anything! It is the production runs that matter.

Just mentioned for information only for people who may be interested.

Lunar are not the only manufacturer to give pre-production/specially prepared vans to the press ;-)

1 minute ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Just mentioned for information only for people who may be interested.

Lunar are not the only manufacturer to give pre-production/specially prepared vans to the press ;-)

True, but with other manufacturers you can infer quality from previous year's vans, with Lunar Automotive, there is no track record to see.

Not strictly true-I'm sure most of the workforce will be very much the same and said workforce does either help/hinder the level of competance/quality of the finished product.........

35 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Not strictly true-I'm sure most of the workforce will be very much the same and said workforce does either help/hinder the level of competance/quality of the finished product.........

No reason why the workforce should be the same, they have been out of work for some time now, so many will have found other jobs, and they will be working to different management under a different quality control regime.

No real continuity at all.

Speculation -be interesting to see but you wouldn't expect them to take over a manufacturer and not retain the experienced staff-they haven't been unemployed-the take over was seamless so unless you know other wise many staff will be retained. Cannot imagine the new vans will be worse-may well be better built which is the reason being given for the move of premises.

53 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

Speculation -be interesting to see but you wouldn't expect them to take over a manufacturer and not retain the experienced staff-they haven't been unemployed-the take over was seamless so unless you know other wise many staff will be retained. Cannot imagine the new vans will be worse-may well be better built which is the reason being given for the move of premises.

As I  understand it it was not a "seamless" takeover, rather a liquidation with the new company buying the IP and equipment with little or no production between then and now. I suspect that the only continuity will have been a few middle managers and a small R&D team.

I for one, would not want to risk any of my money on a new Lunar until I had seen evidence that the new vans were both available and up to the mark.

Anyone actually know whether or not full scaleproduction has really started?

• Like 2

Keeping the workforce retained for seven months would take serious investment with next to no production ?

Usually the workforce are company assets in a take over .

Dave

3 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Keeping the workforce retained for seven months would take serious investment with next to no production ?

Usually the workforce are company assets in a take over .

Although reliable information seems to be thin on the ground, it appears to have been a liquidation followed by purchase of the assets rather than a takeover. TUPE rules therefore do not apply for the staff.

In a takeover there is not normally a period of closure and uncertainty, and production is unaffected.

I thought the company went into receivership and a new buyer was found ?

Was the staff made redundant ?

Dave

10 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

That is the usual course of events for a liquidation. A takeover in receivership does not usually result in cessation of production.

The normal process goes like this (somewhat simplified):-

1. The creditors call in the receivers when they realise that they are not going to get paid.

2. The sole job of the receivers is to raise money to pay off the creditors, they do this by:-

a. selling the company either as a going concern or in pieces, or

b. closing the company and selling off the assets, also called liquidation.

3. Continuing business as usual, if they can, to give time for a.

Only if sold as a going concern do the employees have a right to continued employment under TUPE regulations.

The fact that Lunar stopped production strongly suggests that the receivers took option b.

18 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Dave

I seem to remember at the time that around 150, or slightly less staff were made redundant according to news papers.

Ahh here you go. it was 124 out of 196 employees at the time,  https://tinyurl.com/tk6b38y

Hopefully, all will be ok with the new vans. I bought a 2019 Ariva when the company was liquidated. So far, I am impressed with it.

If you could live with the old Lunar caravans, I would not worry about the quality of the new ones as it is unlikely to be worse.

• Haha 1
  • I agree completely 1

Maybe the new website should not say: 

'What warranty does my caravan have?

From 2009 all our caravans are supplied with a 6 year body shell integrity warranty and a 3 years manufacturers backed warranty from date of purchase.'

On 21/02/2020 at 14:16, Easy T said:

Maybe the new website should not say: 

'What warranty does my caravan have?

From 2009 all our caravans are supplied with a 6 year body shell integrity warranty and a 3 years manufacturers backed warranty from date of purchase.'

The problem we have is that the company has to be there to use it. I appreciate the new company has agreed to some claims, but this is a goodwill gesture.

2 hours ago, Wildwood said:

The problem we have is that the company has to be there to use it. I appreciate the new company has agreed to some claims, but this is a goodwill gesture.

That is from the new company's website. The point is that they have not been manufacturing caravans since 2009

57 minutes ago, Easy T said:

That is from the new company's website. The point is that they have not been manufacturing caravans since 2009

Exactly! So far as I am aware they are yet to build their first production caravan!

20 hours ago, Easy T said:

I don't think they have ever built a new caravan?  The link on Steve's post takes you to the old Lunar Caravans website as they Talk about Heritage with no mention of new owners.

2009 has no particular relevance to the Lunar that I can think of unless the guarantee changed then. The website is definitely new as it includes the new Taurus and omits the Venus, and the details of the existing models have been up dated. I did notice that the new version of our current caravan has higher weights.

The guarantee refers to new 2018 caravans which with the 2009 reference probably means it has been copied from the old site and these points at least were missed.

Edited by Wildwood

53 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I don't think they have ever built a new caravan?  The link on Steve's post takes you to the old Lunar Caravans website as they Talk about Heritage with no mention of new owners.

Definitely updated as Steve points out. The standard MPTLM for my caravan has been upgraded with the upgrade to the same maximum MPTLM also being an option