Hi all .. I’m changing my van soon and want to protect it from the elements .. I have been using a cover up to this point but it can be a struggle getting it on  and moisture still gets through.I’m thinking of changing to a tarp . Has anyone used one and what are the pros and cons .. 

cheers

Why bother?

As you say, moisture still gets through, and your van is designed to sit outside.

If it leaks, you need to get the leak fixed, after all you don't use the van with a cover on and it does rain on it when in use...

• Like 1

If I didn’t have to park under pine trees with all the fallout from fauna and flora I wouldn’t cover mine. A breathable cover won’t keep it bone dry externally but will keep it clean. My cover is dry after a couple of hours in the sun as is the van underneath. I can see a plastic tarp causing no end of problems by trapping condensation inside the van as it prevents airflow through the roof vents.
Unless of course you have a leaky roof and are trying to prevent further damage. 

Never used a cover in 28 years of owning a caravan and never had condensation problems during winter months I think that says it all. Caravans were designed to be left out in all weather conditions. You leave your car out so leave your caravan out as well. As I sit here the rain is currently beating down on the caravan roof on the drive. Its got a 500watt oil filled radiator in it that switches on at midnight and off at 7am. All cushions are in place but the wardrobe doors and lockers are open above the bed as is the bathroom door. The fixed bed is made up ready for when we go away in 2 weeks.

Edited by David55

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

7 minutes ago, David55 said:

Never used a cover in 28 years of owning a caravan and never had condensation problems during winter months I think that says it all. Caravans were designed to be left out in all weather conditions. You leave your car out so leave your caravan out as well. As I sit here the rain is currently beating down on the caravan roof on the drive. Its got a 500watt oil filled radiator in it that switches on at midnight and off at 7am. All cushions are in place but the wardrobe doors and lockers are open above the bed as is the bathroom door. The fixed bed is made up ready for when we go away in 2 weeks.

Oh the luxuries of having the van at home, that brings back memories 😉. Sadly, we can only have van at home on drive for short period of times, then we too have the heating on. Only suffer from condensation when it is brought  back out of storage for getting ready for Christmas, rest of time its dry. And never had a cover. 

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

Be aware that tarpaulins sold at Wickes & the like are made of a kind of woven plastic material and are quite rough to the touch.  They might scratch surfaces when moving around in the wind.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Hi, I cover mine all year , ( other than when in use ) . I have the cover on first which also keeps the sun of as well as semi waterproof , and in the wetter months I put a tarp of the top which does come part way down the sides. When I take them of van is clean and tidy no mould, no stains , dry inside and looks like new. Admiddeadly we have a bit different climate to you but we get rain ! I wouldn't not cover mine and as for our two cars both are in garages !

IMG_20200221_062046.jpg

4 hours ago, James Donald said:

Hi, I cover mine all year , ( other than when in use ) . I have the cover on first which also keeps the sun of as well as semi waterproof , and in the wetter months I put a tarp of the top which does come part way down the sides. When I take them of van is clean and tidy no mould, no stains , dry inside and looks like new. Admiddeadly we have a bit different climate to you but we get rain ! I wouldn't not cover mine and as for our two cars both are in garages !

IMG_20200221_062046.jpg

That’s what I planned to do with the tarp ... only cover the roof and tops of windows to stop water duetting at them ..