Sign in to follow this  
Dobloseven

NEC Show

13 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

Was going to go yesterday (Tuesday) as I'm a member of the CMC, and there was vouchers in the magazine.  But in the end didn't think the travel justified going.  120 miles round trip, Manchester to Birmingham and back.  Wasn't going to buy anything, but anyway, it started raining in the afternoon, so glad I didn't go

Genuinely curious, why didnt you go because it rained?

Its indoors.

Anyway.

We have been  previously and it was 'much of a muchness'

But we enjoyed seeing all the stuff.

Worth remembering buying from a dealer at a show might not get you the best deal if you have to travel many miles for warranty work.

Edited by The Happy Gnome

32 minutes ago, The Happy Gnome said:

Worth remembering buying from a dealer at a show might not get you the best deal if you have to travel many miles for warranty work.

No option if they are a sole supplier of the model you want though.

15 minutes ago, Griff said:

No option if they are a sole supplier of the model you want though.

Indeed,

I was just pointing out that a bargain at a show might not be it is all it seems to be.

Unless you know different griff of course

lots of people buy caravans at shows but regret it when they find out its not like buying a new car from a main dealer.

Edited by The Happy Gnome

14 minutes ago, The Happy Gnome said:

...…….lots of people buy caravans at shows but regret it when they find out its not like buying a new car from a main dealer.

Agreed there.

I am limited as in my case it's Bessacarr with one dealer.

Quite a trek as it happens for me with any warranty work and went in understanding this but apparently the dealer has an arrangement with other dealers/workshops around the country to engage in their warranty work when necessary.

Without such an arrangement I think sales of these models would be very limited.

5 minutes ago, Griff said:

Agreed there.

I am limited as in my case it's Bessacarr with one dealer.

Quite a trek as it happens for me with any warranty work and went in understanding this but apparently the dealer has an arrangement with other dealers/workshops around the country to engage in their warranty work when necessary.

Without such an arrangement I think sales of these models would be very limited.

There wilĺ of course always be an exception to a general point.....happy caravanning.

👍

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Happy Gnome said:

This is very true however bargains can be had, providing you accept the whole package, and that includes servicing costs.

We purchased our first "new" caravan many years ago from the Earls Court show. In fact we bought the demonstrator from the stand, kept it four years, and then traded it in for the same price we paid fir it.

Gordon.

On 19/02/2020 at 09:19, Maffffster said:

I was hoping to go but i've not long had surgery and think it will be too much for me. If anyone reads this and happens to be passing the  E&P Hydraulics Levelsystem stand could you find out if there is any show offers on please and let me know - thanks 

I was there on Tuesday (and may go back on Sunday for pleasure as I didn’t look in one caravan on Tuesday!). There are no show offers on the E&P system. You can still have the original control unit fitted (or as I did last November, had it left under the FOS bunk) and had the “old” remote control, or as others have said, there’s the new touch screen type remote.

One question that arises with the E&P system is weight. Although E&P quote 27/28kg for the kit, the fitter (at E&P in Blackburn) told me that they’d weighed a system at 22/23kg. However, what isn’t mentioned in that is the fact that the original corner steadies are removed, and you don’t need a levelling ramp, corner steady winder or jack any more. When I got home I weighed that little lot (the Al-Ko Jack brackets are still on the caravan so will need to be weighed and added to the figure) and it came in at c.29kg!! So, it would be fair to assume that there’s no weight penalty, even if there’s no saving.

I hasten to add that I’m not linked to E&P, I’m just one very happy customer!

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

22 hours ago, Les Medes said:

We have had to cancel due to a cataract op going wrong damaging the Cornea resulting in blurred vision, really disappointed to miss this years show as we were considering a change

So sorry to hear this news Les M buddy. Hopefully the prognosis is good ?
Take care.

Paul

3 hours ago, prando said:

So sorry to hear this news Les M buddy. Hopefully the prognosis is good ?
Take care.

Paul

Thanks for your kind words Paul, I have just returned from an appointment with the consultant who confirmed that I had Fuchs Dystrophy, the Cornea is swollen, the Steroid Drops have not improved things and I was told today that I needed a Cornea Transplant, the Consultant in contacting the Surgeon who carried out the operation for him to take things forward, devastating news as I only have sight in one eye, the other is a total blur. Hey Ho !!!! 

We are going on Saturday (nobody else has admitted to this) because of convenient travel arrangements.

I assume the weekend will be more crowded but we will have to live with that.

1 hour ago, Les Medes said:

Thanks for your kind words Paul, I have just returned from an appointment with the consultant who confirmed that I had Fuchs Dystrophy, the Cornea is swollen, the Steroid Drops have not improved things and I was told today that I needed a Cornea Transplant, the Consultant in contacting the Surgeon who carried out the operation for him to take things forward, devastating news as I only have sight in one eye, the other is a total blur. Hey Ho !!!! 

Just a little nudge to one and all, that from spring this year every adult in the UK, there are exceptions, will be deemed to be a source of organ donation, unless you opt out, which I hope no one does, I've been a donor since it started.

However and it is a personal choice, there will be people who,  quite rightly, for many reasons, feel uncomfortable donating major organs which will and must be harvested ( only in a hospital ) from their body being kept alive by artificial ventilation, which appears to an observer to be still alive

There is a  critical, variable  window after actual death, where various other tissues can be removed for donation, skin, bone to name a couple

Unlike other post mortem tissue harvesting, which is done in a hospital, cornea harvesting can be done at home, nursing home etc. my father died at home in the mid 60's after along illness and the donated tissue, the whole eyes actually, were removed at home, he also donated his body for research, I've done the same.

Though it's never nice when someone dies especially such as a parent, it was nice, in my dads case, to know that potentially two eyes may have regained sight and his body helped to teach future surgeons, doctors etc and had the potential, however slim, of pointing a way to finding a cure for his illness.

• Like 1

we are going tomorrow (Friday) - hope to get there early enough for a bacon butty before it opens although it's a fair drag across country from the wilds of Cambridgeshire.

I've had severe words with the credit card to ensure that it doesn't start twitching:rolleyes:

Visited the show today and left somewhat disappointed.  

We particularly wanted to view caravans with fixed twin beds and thought the show was the ideal opportunity to view all the choices under one roof.  Not so as some of the manufacturers didn't bother to bring their whole ranges.  

Consequently we will have to return to the brochures, websites and visiting the caravan dealers.

I can't think we will bother with the 200 miles drive to the show in future 

On a more positive note, the NEC staff in the car parks and shuttle bus services did themselves proud with their cheerful and helpful attitude.  Well done to them

6 minutes ago, mw3230 said:

Visited the show today and left somewhat disappointed.  

We particularly wanted to view caravans with fixed twin beds and thought the show was the ideal opportunity to view all the choices under one roof.  Not so as some of the manufacturers didn't bother to bring their whole ranges.  

Consequently we will have to return to the brochures, websites and visiting the caravan dealers.

I can't think we will bother with the 200 miles drive to the show in future 

On a more positive note, the NEC staff in the car parks and shuttle bus services did themselves proud with their cheerful and helpful attitude.  Well done to them

Did you check out the dealership stands as they often have layouts that the manufacturers haven't room for on their stands?

4 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Did you check out the dealership stands as they often have layouts that the manufacturers haven't room for on their stands?

Good point - no we didn't as I wasn't aware of that

thanks to everyone for the information on the show and EP systems. I certainly dont feel that i've missed out on anything this year. 

Now do i go to crufts lol

Just back from the show (Thursday). As I purchased a new van at the October show I spent the time looking around the other stands. Got a very good deal on set of Autoglym products. Down from £24 to £14.

No doubt after talking to the Sales people that it was very quiet on the orders for new Caravans and Motorhomes.

I enjoyed the day out and there was quite a few people there.

• Like 2

Was there from 10 till about 5.Managed to come home without having spent a penny apart from food and drinks. Didn't seem as busy as other years. Salespeople were very keen to Talk. We were quite taken with the Coachman Acadia in a couple of formats and got a price to change from a fairly nearby dealer. Also quite liked the Adria Adora Sava, but would really need a bigger car. A couple of vans we would have liked to have seen weren't there. Theres also a discontinued 2019 Sprite model that several dealers have unsold examples of, that we might have a look at. No sign of Lunar. All in all we came away a bit underwhelmed. Mind, its quite close for us and we got free tickets, so a fairly cheap but tiring day out. 

9 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Was there from 10 till about 5.Managed to come home without having spent a penny apart from food and drinks. Didn't seem as busy as other years. Salespeople were very keen to Talk. We were quite taken with the Coachman Acadia in a couple of formats and got a price to change from a fairly nearby dealer. Also quite liked the Adria Adora Sava, but would really need a bigger car. A couple of vans we would have liked to have seen weren't there. Theres also a discontinued 2019 Sprite model that several dealers have unsold examples of, that we might have a look at. No sign of Lunar. All in all we came away a bit underwhelmed. Mind, its quite close for us and we got free tickets, so a fairly cheap but tiring day out. 

It was the Acadia I purchased in October, just had delivery of it. Feels very nicely put together. I also had a free ticket.

Going tomorrow as the Mrs has decided she wants to research an upgrade. 

May look at ones with the washroom in the middle but know these are limited.

8 minutes ago, conorandlucy said:

Depends what you're after but have a look at the Sprite range by Swift.  We went for a Sprite Quattro EB in 2018, the first centre-bathroom, end-bedroom layout we've had and it's brilliant.  The spec level of the current Sprites isn't far behind the Challenger range.

41 minutes ago, conorandlucy said:

The Sprite Major EB also has one, suits us! Bit cheaper than the Quatro but not much smaller.

58 minutes ago, conorandlucy said:

We ended up with the Bailey Segovia, fantastic layout for us and the kids. The middle bathroom is an amazing idea. 

The twin axles are out as we haven't got a car big enough but the Major 4 EB looks like a contender.