Sign in to follow this  
David Langley

What Awning

Have just bought a Luner Ariva,am looking for a full awning as van is rather small.Awning size is 794cm

Can anybody help with makes and types that will make a good weatherproof fit.It can be air or poles

I would just like it to be easy to put up,not that young anymore going back to caravaning after 15 years of motorhoming.

Regards David.

What you are likely get is responses outlining peoples personal preferences, so I might as well start it off.

Air awnings are like Marmite - love them or hate them.

There is no denying that many find air awnings too heavy and dispose of them quickly, others think they are best thing since sliced bread.

For me, I don't think Isabella can be beaten, although I prefer poled version. Isabella do now make air awnings but I have no experience or knowledge of them.

They are expensive, but decent used ones can be found easily.

Best advice is to look at both air and poled in a Dealership which sells both, and look closely at the size and weight of the bag(s) and try lifting them.

Ideally you could do with trying them through an awning rail but that wont be likely to be possible at most Dealers.

Edited by hp100425ev

None of the mainstream awning manufacturers can afford to produce bad awnings. Many people believe Isabella to be the best, but at the price they should be!

In the main, the lighter fabrics do not last as long as heavier fabrics, and are generally cheaper.

Air awnings  generally have a heavy main piece.

As far as poles are concerned, steel are heavy, aluminium are lighter but cost more. Fibreglass are lighter still but can be fragile. Carbon fibre are light, strong but expensive. 

You can either do lots of research looking at specifications and examining loads of awnings in multiple dealerships, or simply go with whatever takes your fancy.

Buy a used Isabella.

Having tried both air and poles I’m firmly in the poled awning camp. We have 3 Isabella’s, two full and one porch. Fit and quality is excellent, really weatherproof without the need for additional bits to try and make them weathertight. 
Just need a little planning and practise to get the hang of putting them up, they really aren’t a ‘Divorce in a bag’. In fact for me, our Isabella’s are easier to put up than the equivalent size air awning. 

18 minutes ago, AndersG said:

Buy a used Isabella.

+1, if buying new is too rich for you look at used.

I have p/x' two mint Isabellas, each only two years old and they were resold at circa 75% of the new cost by in my case Campbells.

On 18/02/2020 at 19:32, AndersG said:

Buy a used Isabella.

I’ll second that.