hinchy

LED lights

Hi all I'm just after some information. I've finally changing my van...Picking it up in 2 weeks. The new van to me has LED rear lights and was wondering would this give problems with the car detecting the indicators working. At the moment a trailer logo flashes up on the dash when indicators are working or am I worrying over nothing. I will have to use a twin 7 pin to 13 pin plug adapter for a short time till I get the plugs changed on the car. 

Many thanks Hinchy

Depending on your car, you may well need a VLM board. No need to worry, many dealers will sort it out for you or contact Sargent.

What make is the caravan and car and someone might have the same combination ?

Dave

The car is a 2014 Freelander 2 and the caravan will be a swift Elegance 580. 

29 minutes ago, hinchy said:

Hi all I'm just after some information. I've finally changing my van...Picking it up in 2 weeks. The new van to me has LED rear lights and was wondering would this give problems with the car detecting the indicators working. At the moment a trailer logo flashes up on the dash when indicators are working or am I worrying over nothing. I will have to use a twin 7 pin to 13 pin plug adapter for a short time till I get the plugs changed on the car. 

Many thanks Hinchy

2 minutes ago, hinchy said:

Have a look here.

https://tinyurl.com/ufp3mfw

Also give sargent a ring as they may be able to confirm whether you need one at all.

(I do know people with JLR products who had to have one).

You could also plug the van into the car before you pick it up. If the dealer is a Swift dealer they should have a LED lighting board you can pug into to check. 

Thanks for the replies guys I'll try and get back to the dealers .....that would the easiest thing to do.

Cheers Hinchy

Unless your car has LED lights its almost certain you will need a VLM board, but you need the correct one.

I had to have one fitted when i towed with a CX-5, but not with my Tiguan...

Better to ask on the swift Talk forum.

15 hours ago, hinchy said:

We also have Freelander 2 (2013) The LED lights on a trailer won't work. We have 2 farm trailers, a boat trailer and our Bailey Genoa.

The Bailey and one of the farm trailers were fine as the were incandescent bulbs, the other 2 were LED and won't power up as the Freelander is a CAN bus system. We just swapped the LED light clusters for bulb type units as it was easier for us than fitting the control unit. 

1 hour ago, Joeblogs said:

We also have Freelander 2 (2013) The LED lights on a trailer won't work. We have 2 farm trailers, a boat trailer and our Bailey Genoa.

The Bailey and one of the farm trailers were fine as the were incandescent bulbs, the other 2 were LED and won't power up as the Freelander is a CAN bus system. We just swapped the LED light clusters for bulb type units as it was easier for us than fitting the control unit. 

👍

The problem is that the LED units on Swift caravans are of a completely different shape and size to the versions that hold the 'traditional' type bulbs they fitted in previous years.

It is perhaps also worth saying that the VLM units are very easy to fit, literally 'plug and play'. Best done through the front nearside wet locker if fitted as it giives good access to the bulkhead wall and the fuse box.

The hardest bit is establishing which type you need, though I believe Sargent were devising a 'universal' type suitable for all vehicles, hence my suggestion the OP ring them as they can be very helpful.

4 minutes ago, The Happy Gnome said:

👍

The hardest bit is establishing which type you need, though I believe Sargent were devising a 'universal' type suitable for all vehicles, hence my suggestion the OP ring them as they can be very helpful.

It seems that the "universal" type is not as universal as it was hoped. Unfortunately there is no single standard for canbus systems and car makers are changing them all the time.

29 minutes ago, Stevan said:

It seems that the "universal" type is not as universal as it was hoped. Unfortunately there is no single standard for canbus systems and car makers are changing them all the time.

I did suspect as much when I looked at the link I posted and it still referred to needing different types.

Best thing OP can do IMHO (once it's verified the lights and warnings wont work correctly) is ring Sargent themselves. They definitely do (did?) them for Land Rover products as I've helped people fit them.

Edited by The Happy Gnome

Hi again 

Took the car to the dealers this morning and with a really helpful guy from the workshop plugged the car into the caravan and worked all the lights and with no issues so no VLM unit needed. Thanks again for the replies.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 19/02/2020 at 08:11, xtrailman said:

Unless your car has LED lights its almost certain you will need a VLM board, but you need the correct one.

I had to have one fitted when i towed with a CX-5, but not with my Tiguan...

Better to ask on the swift Talk forum.

Makes no difference, we have LED rear lights on the tow car and still needed the VLM box from Swift, without the Rear Sensors would sound off and the trailer indicator light wouldn’t work.

Edited by ad210358
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ad210358 said:

Makes no difference, we have LED rear lights on the tow car and still needed the VLM box from Swift, without the Rear Sensors would sound off and the trailer indicator light wouldn’t work.

Your right ad210358 all the lights work as they should but as you say no trailer indicator showing and the reversing sensors don't shut off. 

That’s LR for you, 😉 the LED lights don’t pull enough current to activate the trailer module.

VLM4 should solve it.

11 minutes ago, ad210358 said:

That’s LR for you, 😉 the LED lights don’t pull enough current to activate the trailer module.

VLM4 should solve it.

Thanks ad210358 it's on my things to do list now.