Sign in to follow this  
Malc Edge

Mitsubushi Sport, Anyone have one ?

Thinking of buying one of these new ,the Sport is the replacement for the faithful big Shogun.  It will tow 3.1 ton.  If you have one how do you find it ?

I have a Land Rover Discovery D4 MY 2015  on 15,600 miles which I love but sadly not reliable to tour Europe.Two breakdowns in consecutive years in Europe towing our caravan.

All the reviews have been pretty scathing and the fact the list price has dropped by about £8k since first released doesnt bode well. No doubt it will be reliable but its not really comparable to the disco which is miles ahead in every sense (apart from breaking down) 

Even our local Mitsubishi dealer couldnt find a good word to say about it as the quality of the drive and ride feels about 20 years behind everyone else.

3 hours ago, Malc Edge said:

Thinking of buying one of these new ,the Sport is the replacement for the faithful big Shogun.  It will tow 3.1 ton.  If you have one how do you find it ?

I have a Land Rover Discovery D4 MY 2015  on 15,600 miles which I love but sadly not reliable to tour Europe.Two breakdowns in consecutive years in Europe towing our caravan.

Have a test drive and see how you feel, what suit one person doesn't suit another.

• I agree completely 1

I’ve driven one, it’s got a coarse and vibey engine, which feels underpowered. The gear change is vague and rubbery. The ride is mediocre at best. 

It is a big thing with plenty of luggage space, although somehow the driving position is still cramped for a big fella. 

I wouldn’t consider it as an alternative to your D4, nor my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It’s not even close. More like a pickup than anything else. 

I think like my full fat Shogun it’s a Marmite car, my car gets slagged off in all the reviews but I love it, in fact it’s my favourite ever car and I’ve had loads including very expensive range topping Mercs. I also often drive my mother-in-laws brand new Porsche Macan, I prefer my Shogun.

Try it, if you like it get one if you don’t, don’t. 

Edited by Borussia 1900
  • Like 2

It shares a lot with the L200 pickup and drives like one too.

If your happy with the drive and handling of a last generation pickup then it maybe OK but not something I'd consider other than a work tool.

L200 is my current work tool and I had a short drive of the sport.

2 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

I’ve driven one, it’s got a coarse and vibey engine, which feels underpowered. The gear change is vague and rubbery. 

Thought they were all automatics. Think it's aimed at a very narrow market and they're only hoping to sell about 1000 per year. Seem to be plenty of used ones for around 24k upwards. Would be interested to have a look, but local dealer stopped selling them and nearest is some way away. 

Dobloseven, indeed they are. I stand corrected.  I drove the L200 on the same day, which was the unpleasant manual. 

Unsurprisingly, they both felt very similar, hence my comment about similarity to a pickup. 

I was looking at getting one when they came out but they are not available in Germany.

13 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

I’ve driven one, it’s got a coarse and vibey engine, which feels underpowered. The gear change is vague and rubbery. The ride is mediocre at best. 

It is a big thing with plenty of luggage space, although somehow the driving position is still cramped for a big fella. 

I wouldn’t consider it as an alternative to your D4, nor my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It’s not even close. More like a pickup than anything else. 

Thanks for that fireman Iain,I think I will give disco one more chance because as I said I love the vehicle its just the reliability issue.

Thanks fellas,  Going to try one next week,however judging for the comments here I may well give disco another try again this year.

What about a Toyota Landcruiser?

I test drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit the other year, I thought it was nice, Mrs B hated it (which meant we didn't get one), however, having seen the You Tube videos of how unstable they are when changing direction quickly I'm glad we didn't.

Ford Ranger looks nice.

The new LR Defender looks good. Saw a 110 om M40 the other day, its big. Expensive though.

I like the Land Cruiser. Old school 4x4 but tough. Saw loads in Australia along with the Hilux, which were used by police and utility cmpanies.

Very happy with our Santa Fe.

12 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

That’s £98k in old money. Ridiculous. 

I know, for a Defender!!! Shocking.

Defender 90, steel wheels, tow bar and leather steering wheel

Everything else is unnecessary 

Cheapest around £40K, you can go on LR website and configure one, can get into RR prices!

No doubt there will be a whole host of those that worship at the altar of the Green Oval queueing  up to buy them. 

I wonder if the 90 will be much cheaper when it comes out.  I like the look of the 110 but it is bigger (and more expensive) than I need.  The 90 would suit me.

Although what I really want is a new Freelander

6 hours ago, Richard080561 said:

Although what I really want is a new Freelander

Discovery Sport then.

The Shogun Sport seems to be out the same mould as the Ssangyong Rexton. Though model for model, price wise it undercuts the Ssangyong since the cuts. Certainly a lot of car for the money, in both cases. Had a look at the Rexton today at the NEC. Surprisingly for a vehicle that makes much of its towing and off road credentials, it can't have a spare wheel and a towbar at the same time. No such problem on the Mitsubishi. 

• Like 1