Sign in to follow this  
Codders

Oven and eyes stinging

Hi there,

I have noticed that whenever I use our caravan oven (Stoves), my eyes sting.  It doesn't seem to affect other members of my family, and could just be someting with me - though they don't sting when the hob is on.

Following a service, the engineer said the oven reading was above the recommended level (it read 0.0168 and suggested replacing the burner - something very easy to do.  He said there's nothing else that could be causing the issue and that was my only real option to try and salvage the oven, shy of buying a new one.

So I bought a new burner, fitted it and still my eyes sting.  I'll be honest, I have not had the levels re-checked as we infrequently use the oven.  I am due a service in a few months, so I'll get it checked then.

Does anyone else have an issue with their eyes stinging when the oven is on?  Do I have a safety issue here and is there literally nothing else other than the burner that can be checked?  The oven itself looks imaculate to be fair, like brand new.

Many thanks,

Danny

Maybe it hasn’t been used before.  New ovens absolutely stink when first used. 
if you can, try running it at max temperature for an hour or so. You will need to have windows and roof vents open to allow the smells to escape. 

Do you have dry eyes? Its a common condition. Are there any other circumstances in which your eyes ere irritated but the rest of the family's aren't? For example in the car with A/C on? Your pharmacist will probably help. 

My eyes sting and water like a tap running, especially when I wear my specs.  I can't see properly without them to read

and can see even less with them!

Optician says I have dry eyes, you'd never think that when they are watering and both he and the ophthalmology dept prescribed Hylo-forte.

I use that 4 times a day and VitA-POS ointment for night times.  IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE!

I think my eyes are allergic to my eyelids!

Has the oven been previously cleaned using a caustic soda oven cleaner, and not sufficient rinsed to remove any residue?

if it's only you that's affected, I ask , is it only you that uses the oven?  If other folk use the oven as well then get your eyes checked .  There  are too many reasons as to why eyes water or sting.

Give your oven a really  good deep clean and rinse, there may be oil or residue of some sort on the element.  Next change your oven trays, I have heard of of chemical fumes coming off  teflon / non stick oven trays .

When the oven is on you should have windows open to avoid the build up of carbon monoxide (CO), this will be in your hand book somewhere. Also make sure your carbon monoxide alarm is working and preferably use one that gives a reading rather than just an alarm. When CO levels increase a bit, a first symptom can be head aches.

Can you smell anything that might be burning such as any wiring that is resting on the outside top/side of the oven and could be melting. Our oven has a cooling fan on top of it and these can fail, now on its third and the last one I got through RS components, it switches on and off from a sensor on top of the  oven which can be by-passed to check the fan.

Mrs P has dry eyes and pain from it and no matter what drops she uses they do not help. The hospital people do not seem too interested.

Edited by Paul1957