Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Denford

Bailey Unicorn Daewoo Microwave not working

Hi, not sure if anybody can help my Daewoo microwave in my 2016 Bailey Unicorn Velencia has power but does not heat up the food. After reading an article I thought it may have been a thermal cutout as the heating was on in the van and I was using the oven and hob so it was very hot in the van, I have since tried again  now the van has cooled down but still not heating up.  I used it two days ago and it worked perfectly. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Kevin Denford

They do cut out if they get too hot when in use, but reset once cooled down.

The temperature in the caravan, should not affect its operation. 

It could be condensation has gathered inside the workings of the microwave oven causing the internal 8 amp fuse to blow.  I've had this happen and replacing the fuse fixed the problem.

Read this safety info if you are going to attempt this.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information, pardon my ignorance but if the internal fuse was blown would the microwave still work as it's working normally just not heating anything up? Thanks again for the information and the link.  

24 minutes ago, Kevin Denford said:

Thanks for the information, pardon my ignorance but if the internal fuse was blown would the microwave still work as it's working normally just not heating anything up? Thanks again for the information and the link.  

Mine did. 

Another cause could be that the magnetron has failed, I had this on my home microwave.  I had that repaired, as it is a combination oven (all singing & dancing) but for a small cheap microwave, it would be cheaper to just buy a new one from tesco or asda etc.

• Like 1

Thanks again I think I will need to buy a new one, just have to work out how to fix it in the unit.  

My 2015 Lunar has a Daewoo.  It died out of guarantee.  By chance I went into a caravan sales place near Telford and they had two for sale reduced from about £120 to £80 (for something with a value of about £35).

So I was able to do a direct change.  If I could not have got a match I would have got a cheap one and made it fit.

It came out easy enough and I was able to improve the ventilation while there.

You may find a repairer.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Denford said:

Thanks again I think I will need to buy a new one, just have to work out how to fix it in the unit.  

It probably has four screws driven up through the shelf it sits on and into the four holes on the base of the microwave that it’s rubber feet would normally fit into.

Looks like your model, Daewoo Silver Microwave KOR6L5R is discontinued but have a scout around...  one here @£69.69 inc delivery (new /eBay).

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for your help with this I really appreciate it. 

Daewoo microwaves :blink:.

Measure the size, throw it away and pop down the high street or retail parks and invest in a normal domestic type one. We had three Daewoo models give up in 6 months in a brand new 'van. Now have a Sanyo (looks like a Sharp) that's easier to use than the Daewoo and has lasted 4 years :).

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Measure the size, throw it away and pop down the high street or retail parks and invest in a normal domestic type one. We had three Daewoo models give up in 6 months in a brand new 'van. Now have a Sanyo (looks like a Sharp) that's easier to use than the Daewoo and has lasted 4 years :).

Ditto, buy a slightly smaller domestic unit to allow it to breath  when in use.

• Like 1

New vans now seem to be coming with a Russel Hobbs unit-it will probably be very similar dimensions to the Daewoo? Best bin it and get a new one.

8 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

New vans now seem to be coming with a Russel Hobbs unit-it will probably be very similar dimensions to the Daewoo? Best bin it and get a new one.

Russell Hobbs actually do a caravan version - here it is at Prima, but I’ve no doubt it’s much cheaper elsewhere.

John

• Like 1

Our Daewoo microwave in the S1 Valencia is still going strong (9 years old) and my wife liked it so much for it's simplicity that we bought a second identical one for the house about four years ago - not from Bailey I may add as they were charging around three times the price of no caravan related retailers - which has been trouble free to date.

That said, neither of them get worked very hard at all.

I had the idea that the Russell Hobbs machines were a short term substitute item.

Just a quick update, I replaced my microwave with a cookworks microwave from Argos https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5497065 it took me half an hour to take the old one out and fit the new one. 

There was a chip board frame attached to the old microwave simply detached it and re drilled the holes on the chipboard to line up with the leg positions on the new microwave then re-fitted and screwed from the bottom of the unit into the chip board frame, no new holes required in the unit. 

The new microwave is slightly smaller than the old one and has vents at the top which is great as there is a large open space above it to allow the heat to dissipate. 

Thanks again for all of your really helpful comments and sugestions. 

15820421738214239313447700932896.jpg

Edited by Kevin Denford
  • Like 1

On 17/02/2020 at 11:07, Johnaldo said:

Russell Hobbs actually do a caravan version - here it is at Prima, but I’ve no doubt it’s much cheaper elsewhere.

John

Er (cough) and the RH is currently on recall by Bailey for an issue with the door rubbing the sides of its frame.

On 17/02/2020 at 08:14, Pebble said:

I think they use Russell Hobbs now . I know somebody borrowed a demo last year for a review vlog and in a day it had to go into a dealership for a swap out .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I had a microwave once that seemed to work perfectly. It kept time and rotated food extremely well, it just wouldn't heat the food up. Not being one to be defeated by technology I took the case off and found a spade connector on the Magnetron had not been fitted properly and worked loose. I pushed it on properly and the microwave is still going 14 years later.
Don't touch any of that stuff with your bare hands!
But by the same token, don't be afraid to whip the case off and have a look - it might be something obvious.

microwave oven reviews

• Like 1