Sign in to follow this  
prando

Tyre Replacement/Mobile Fitter/Tyron Bands

I need to change both tyres (spare ok) on my Coachman 2 berth. I propose to use a local mobile tyre fitter, recommended by my ‘approved’ mobile caravan service firm.
The existing tyres have Tyron bands fitted and I will advise the tyre fitter accordingly when arranging his visit.

Should I expect to pay more in view of the Tyron bands and is there any other aspects I should consider ?

I have read on the forum that balancing is essential with Tyron.
Is there any questions I should ask the fitters specifically regarding the Tyron bands aspect and the balancing requirement?

Thank you.

I used E-tyre mobile tyre fitter once he had the Tyron band tool with him I did not have to tell him anything.

Check that they have the required fitting / removal tools. Or that you have them for them to use. (But if they don't have the tools they may not know how to so I'd probably avoid ... ;) )

You want new tyres that are of recent manufacture so ask that they check the date code before coming out to you.

Balancing is recommended / essential with or without the Tyrons.

Try to get them to avoid using power tools on the wheel bolts and be armed with the correct torque setting for the fitter to use.

Edited by Rodders53

Thanks guys for the prompt responses. I’ve not used a mobile tyre fitter before, do I take it that he will have the necessary equipment to balance the wheels ? (Would one expect all bone fide mobile tyre fitters to have same as standard)

Edited by prando

2 minutes ago, prando said:

Thanks guys for the prompt responses. I’ve not used a mobile tyre fitter before, do I take it that he will have the necessary equipment to balance the wheels ? (Would one expect all bone fide mobile tyre fitters to have same as standard)

They have balancing equipment in the van - however the mechanic may suggest caravan wheels don't need balancing, if he does insist that they are.

• I agree completely 1

Tyre on the Drive - convenient, efficient, can handle Tyron and good advice regarding spec of tyre.

• I do not understand 1

Mobile Tyre fitters must have balancing kit in the vans... all car tyres need balancing don't they... plus weights suitable for attaching to both alloy and steel wheels.

Age of the supplied tyre(s) would be my biggest concern for you...  DOT Code number (Week/Year) as near to today as you can get.  So  nn20 would be ideal, and no lower than, say, 3419 (as that would be about 6 months ago)??

I have always had to pay a small premium on top of a standard tyre replacement charge for having Tyron Bands.

They do quite significantly increase the labour content, more so if the fitter invests the time in getting the two  gaps between the shoes the same, Doing this aids in balancing, as if the gaps are not equal the wheel requires not only the tyre's  out of balance to be corrected but the bias on the shoes from not being diametrically opposed.

The most recent surcharge was £20, but that fitter was exceptionally diligent and really knew his stuff. He also had a low opinion of the original fitters lack of care.

Thanks again for more information and advice. 

My caravan tyres will be due for replacement next year, the existing fitted Tyron bands will be relegated to scrap metal when I fit new tyres.

Tyron bands are unnecessary and of no proven value.

• I do not understand 1
  • I agree completely 3

7 minutes ago, Sea&Sand said:

My caravan tyres will be due for replacement next year, the existing fitted Tyron bands will be relegated to scrap metal when I fit new tyres.

Tyron bands are unnecessary and of no proven value.

In your opinion!

• I agree completely 2

2 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

In your opinion!

A somewhat crass response there BG.

If Tyron bands were a proven safety asset, why are they not fitted to cars etc.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

22 minutes ago, Sea&Sand said:

Because cars have four wheels, one at each corner - a caravan with a failed tyre is much less stable than a car.

Tyrons are optional safety equipment - no different to run-flat tyres which aren't generally fitted across the board.

Edited by Black Grouse
  • I agree completely 1

They have of course been fitted to  cars, initially for the police, then developed for UK military Land Rovers, Ambulances, other critical application cars and as we know for caravans.

In our case the development of low cost TPMS largely relieved our need as we now can identify a puncture on the caravan before the tyre runs flat enough to skip the rim.

Having in thirty years of using them on caravans and having had three tyre failures when running, without the  carcasses leaving the rims, I will hang in with using them even with now a TPMS.

Maybe without them I would on all those three occasions have been as lucky, but with them I had been "lucky", so I am not going to go without them to find out.

Edited by JTQ

Mobile Tyre fitters must have balancing kit in the vans... all car tyres need balancing don't they... plus weights suitable for attaching to both alloy and steel wheels.

Age of the supplied tyre(s) would be my biggest concern for the OP...  DOT Code number (Week/Year) as near to today as you can get.  So  nn20 would be ideal, and no lower than, say, 3419 (as that would be about 6 months ago)??

Tyrons - my current 'van had a big sign on the window "Tyron Bands fitted", but when the dealers wanted money for them I said no thanks...  strangely they weren't actually fitted but would be if desired. :blink:

The only caravan tyre blowout I have ever had was on the first caravan we ever owned (a glass-windowed Cotswold Windrush, and unknown age of tyres).  It was in lane 2 of the M1 while overtaking, and the tyre stayed on the rim (which was undamaged) while we got slowed down and got over onto the hard shoulder.  NO Tyron bands were ever on that caravan.  (What does that prove? Nothing  - other than the same arguments repeat themselves on this forum at irregular intervals).

• I agree completely 1

20 hours ago, Sea&Sand said:

Tyron bands NOT REQUIRED, the photo shows the remains of my tyre after a total blow out at 55 mph, the van was rock steady, I was told by the recovery people that the Tyrons saved the van from snaking and overturning and causing serious damage to the van and to us, so, think again before leaving your Tyrons off

IMG_0153.JPG

Edited by Les Medes

9 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

the photo shows the remains of my tyre after a total blow out at 55 mph, the van was rock steady, I was told by the recovery people that the Tyrons saved the van from toppling over and causing  and causing serious damage to the van and to us, so, think again before leaving your Tyrons off

Thank you for that photographic evidence.

I see absolutely NO  evidence of the tyre coming off the bead around the outer edge of the alloy wheel and attempting to drop into the well that is occupied by the metal tyron band. 

Can anyone point me to what my eyes are missing?

Methinks the Recovery people were talking from their posterior?

PS I have no quibble whatsoever with those who wish to use Tyron bands.  Each to their own.  But the subject is repeatedly done to death on here, with the exact same result.

Edited by Rodders53
Postscript
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 3

3 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Thank you for that photographic evidence.

I see absolutely NO  evidence of the tyre coming off the bead around the outer edge of the alloy wheel and attempting to drop into the well that is occupied by the metal tyron band. 

Can anyone point me to what my eyes are missing?

Methinks the Recovery people were talking from their posterior?

I hope that nobody on this Forum goes through what we went through when this happened

I would double check the age of the spare - if the existing tyres need replacing then I assume they are 6 - 8 years old and I assume the spare would be the same age, possibly older.

Although there are many arguments about tyre age and replacement I would be wary of any tyre over 7 years old.

• I do not understand 1

Thanks again for more information and advice. 

On 16/02/2020 at 20:24, Black Grouse said:

In your opinion!

No-one, not even the manufacturer, has ever proved that one would be any worse off without Tyron bands.

The photo posted by Les Medes shows that they didn't (and cannot) prevent the tyre tread from parting company from the wheel and the tread is, after all, what provides lateral grip, and certainly more than the remains of the tyre left on the wheel.

Edited by Lutz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • I do not understand 1
  • I agree completely 1

Just an addition to this Tyron topic.

We were due to leave Lancashire this morning for a bit of a do with the Cumbrians.

Checked nuts & tyre pressures - wow, nearside tyre had lost 20psi (from 59) but shew

no outward signs of that loss. Removed wheel/tyre from van with suspicions about

a possible leaking valve. But in the tread was a Posidrive screw head ( so come on, own up,

who has been loosing screws then ? ) Went to my local; (trusted) tyre dealer, I explained

that it had tyrons fitted - NO. He checked on-line for me and saw that Kwik-Fit (his competition)

but quite nearby, were tyron dealers and service agents. Took tyre there, -NO ( only some

Kwik-Fit depots can do Tyrons. He then recommended a long established dealer in Bolton.

Yes, they can do Tyrons - they have the compression frame thats needed to squeeze the tyre

so that the tyron band can be removed. ( I mentioned mobile fitters - he was puzzled how they

did the compression bit) anyway, I had to leave it for a couple of hours. Went back at 3pm job

all done but the bill was twice I have ever paid for a puncture, on quizzing the amount, told that

its a one hour labour time job. I was just happy, I got it fixed. Ending to my story, 45 - 50 mph

winds forecast in Cumbria, for the rest of this week, so thats a no brainer.

Tyron bands are a matter of choice, the above rigmarole included, I would not be without them.

• I agree completely 1

1 hour ago, Lutz said:

No-one, not even the manufacturer, has ever proved that one would be any worse off without Tyron bands.

The photo posted by Les Medes shows that they didn't (and cannot) prevent the tyre tread from parting company from the wheel and the tread is, after all, what provides lateral grip, and certainly more than the remains of the tyre left on the wheel.

The photo also shows that despite having Tyron bands, that in this case the safety bead rims retained the beads, therefore here the bands played no role.

The photo does not show the bands failed to do what they were sold for, that is retain the tyre to the rim.

Here the tyre is still on the rim, what we see is the catastrophic failure of the carcass.

Tyron bands are not marketed to prevent a tyre disintegrating, nor are safety rims able to do that, as we see clearly here.

We see here a tyre run under inflated, possibly totally, till the sidewalls are so destroyed the tread as been shed.

The photo  shows no failing of the Tyron system to work. Here it was never involved, the safety rims retained the beads unaided.

Running on well past anything the bands or safety rims could ever assist with, is fundamentally what we are seeing in the photo. You can draw no conclusions on the bands effectiveness or otherwise from it, you can be impressed  here the safety rims did a very good job.

If that always would be the case, then bands would never be required. Here again like with bands, proving under all circumstances safety rims would retain the beads, is another unproven, but we use them without that proof.

Edited by JTQ
  • I agree completely 3

On 17/02/2020 at 15:57, Les Medes said:

I hope that nobody on this Forum goes through what we went through when this happened

Agreed. 15 years ago and as an inexperienced caravanner I went through the same some 10 mph faster. It was a complete non-event, no Tyrons. Just felt a massive drag on the car so I knew something was wrong, but no instability or anything.

Edited by limecc

It seems Tyrons are a religion to many. A question of faith. If not willing to buy a proper tyre pressure monitoring system, would probably be better off filling the tyre with some sealant gunk.

Edited by limecc
  • I agree completely 1